Which ships have the toughest windows?

tomchi

How many reports have you heard about windows being shattered by waves? I heard of only one, the other day. It was very sad that 2 people lost their lives and 6 were injured and my thoughts and prayers go out to them. I agree, a freak accident and no likelihood that it would happen to you on a cruise ship, thank goodness.

I have been on a cruise ship where the windows have been broken by waves in rough weather. Cruise ships are well built but have a limit as to what impact they can withstand vs being able to look out. For example, if you look at the front of the QM2, the ship is designed to take the rough north Atlantic weather so is designed for it with small windows at the front. Cruise ships, on the other hand, tend to have large panoramic windows, which are inherently not as strong. In both cases however, freaks waves will smash a ship depending on circumstances and windows may break.

To tell you the truth, in fourteen cruises I have never tested the windows to see which are the toughest.

In addition, I have never seen any other passenger testing the windows to see which are the toughest.

Nor have I ever seen any review, whether written by a professional or just a normal passenger, make any comments about the toughness of any of the ship's windows.

Nor have ever seen any technical specifications listing the toughness of any ship's windows.

But I wish you the best of luck on your quest.

Freak accidents happen. This is the first time I've heard of anything like this in the 15 years I've been cruising. Sure, it could happen again. But it's not something I worry much about.

It happened to the NCL Dawn in April 2005.

Take a look at the ship in question (row of windows just over the bow) and then view most cruise line ships (steel fronted at least 70 feet up and where windows, they are reinforced). Should make you feel better.

I was on a Seabourn cruise, doing a North Atlantic crossing back in the late 1990's, when we hit a storm and the front windows were blown in. Also, recently on Crystal, windows on deck 5 were cracked by big waves and strong winds.

As someone who's driving around in a 2010 Toyota Camry, cruise ship windows are currently the least of my worries!

Now - THAT's funny!!! Glad you have a good sense of humor about it, and best of luck in getting any problems you may have resolved quickly and safely.

Thanks for the great laugh!! Just glad I wasn't drinking anything at the time I read your post. :D:D

How many reports have you heard about windows being shattered by waves? I heard of only one, the other day. It was very sad that 2 people lost their lives and 6 were injured and my thoughts and prayers go out to them. I agree, a freak accident and no likelihood that it would happen to you on a cruise ship, thank goodness.

Actually there was a show on Science Channel just this week about rogue waves. It showed not one, but two cruise ships that were hit head on by rogue waves. The waves knocked out the windows of the bridge, nearly drowned the crew there, knocked out all the ship's instruments and even stopped the two ships' engines. In both cases the situation was extremely dangerous. Either ship could have sunk and only luck and very hard work saved the crew and passengers.

The show had films of the disaster. I can't imagine how anyone was able to film the events.

Actually there was a show on Science Channel just this week about rogue waves. It showed not one, but two cruise ships that were hit head on by rogue waves. The waves knocked out the windows of the bridge, nearly drowned the crew there, knocked out all the ship's instruments and even stopped the two ships' engines. In both cases the situation was extremely dangerous. Either ship could have sunk and only luck and very hard work saved the crew and passengers.

The show had films of the disaster. I can't imagine how anyone was able to film the events.

I just watched the show you were talking about a few days ago. It was very interesting.

I think that water is so powerful, it will always be impossible to build windows tough enough to withstand a rogue wave. It is a chance I am willing to take.

I'd wager among cruise ships, Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas has the toughest windows. She endured sixty foot waves while crossing the Atlantic last on her maiden voyage last November.

I'm sure the ocean liners, such as the Queen Mary II have tougher windows. The ocean liners were built to handle the North Atlantic on a regular basis. The Oasis was not.

I would bet that most windows are suspect when hit by a direct wave. he key is to keep the water from hitting it full force....

On the QM2 there is a large V shaped metal structure on the fore deck. If any waves break over the bow, the water is channeled off the ship.

take a look at a picture of the Louis Majesty; The fore deck is completely flat. If a wave breaks over the bow, there is nothing to stop the water from hitting the windows of the lounge with full force.

Having a large amount of glass facing forward in the superstructure has caused problems before; Wasn't there a ship that had multiple forward facing cabins with balconys destroyed by a wave?

Archived