Checking Luggage on a 5 day cruise?

Hi everyone --

I'm wondering about how many people check luggage on their flights for a 5 day/4 night cruise. I'm an over-packer, and like to have options. I was able to closely fit everything into a carryon for a 4 day/3 night trip to Vegas, and I filled just a checked luggage bag with clothes + many activities and gifts for 8 days/7nights in Ecuador (but that was not a trip to show off my cute clothes, either!)

I'm wondering how many people actually use a large suitcase+carryon for this short of a cruise. I'm flying from Milwaukee to Ft. Lauderdale, if that makes any difference. What's the charge these days? $25/checked bag on Delta? (assuming it's under 50lbs?)

I'll be going to Key West and Cozumel on the Grandeur of the Seas in June! :)

Thanks for your help! This is my first time cruising, and my first time traveling without someone taking care of details for me!

Happy Cruising :)

kelly

There is no way I could fit everything in a carry on for a five day cruise and I consider myself a pretty efficient packer. I figure you need 6 "day" outfits, five dinner outfits including one formal one, shoes for each outfit (thank goodness for Switchflops!) p.j.'s, makeup, pool stuff, etc..... Now, I've panicked myself wondering if I"ll get it in one suitcase!!!

I LOVE overpacking...I'll bring everything I have, if I need to! Check it...only carry on very important, immediate items....like any Rx's or make-up!

I've never seen the need to "pack light"...and we fly to most ports! (I just like options, and hubby's shoes weigh a TON!)

You just never know what the weather will be like or what you are in the mood to wear........Im an overpacker and could never get away with a carryon even on shorter cruises than that!:p

There is no way I could fit everything in a carry on for a five day cruise and I consider myself a pretty efficient packer. I figure you need 6 "day" outfits, five dinner outfits including one formal one, shoes for each outfit (thank goodness for Switchflops!) p.j.'s, makeup, pool stuff, etc..... Now, I've panicked myself wondering if I"ll get it in one suitcase!!!

Looks like you just got me into trouble on a new awesome webiste! Can't wait to explore it some more... :)

My sister, who is very efficient, is trying to convince me that there is no way I'll need another suitcase... but we're completely different people! I think you've swayed me enough to bring a big suitcase. I'll actually be gone 6 days, as we'll get into FLL the afternoon before.

I love having options -- thank you, everyone! :)

kelly

I always check luggage when we fly, even if it's not for a cruise. I've got too many kids to worry about. We don't fly to many of our cruises, living in FL gives us the luxury...and I think I over pack even more as a result of not caring how heavy that bag is. If it's a 3 day I can manage with carry-ons, but anything longer than that and it goes to the porter. DH always says I over pack, and he'll take things out of his suitcase if I'm not paying attention, but when he did that one time he ended up short on some things (Underwear!!!), and had to send stuff out to be laundered. Not a big deal, not even too expensive, but still an "I told you so!":D

I'll be doing a carry on for my b2b on the Majesty next month..and that is with doing the dining room for dinner plus 1 nt pre-cruise... I mix & match everything..basic black shoes for evening...guess I would rather save the $40 to check my bag round trip for something special on my cruise...either that or I'm just plain cheap...;):D

While I'm sure some people pack an actual "day outfit" for each day of the cruise, I've found doing so to be a waste, as we end up hanging out in bathing suits/coverup most of the day. Besides that I just pack 1 or 2 pair of shorts and maybe 2 tank tops. Even if we are going ashore and doing excusions, they tend to be boat/water related, so I just wear a tankini with a pair of shorts, or a bathing suit and cover up.

I don't know who those magical people are that can fit 5 days into a carry on, but I'm not one of them. As CB said, don't pack anything valuable in the bag you check and you should be fine.

Checking a bag will cost around $25 each way, so $50 total. Considering that you can carry on a 21" roller board AND a "small personal item," i.e. a tote bag, it's not too difficult to carry on enough for a 5 day cruise with a minimum amount of planning. IF you decide to carry on, here are some suggestions that may help:

1. Don't pack an "outfit" for each day. Pack 2 bathing suits and a cover up, which are perfectly acceptable as day wear almost anywhere on the ship or walking around in port. Supplement with 2 shorts and 2 tanks/tees that you can mix and match, and a pair of flip flops or sandals and that's plenty for daytime.

2. Formal night: If you have a cocktail dress made of material you can roll in a ball and it doesn't wrinkle, pack for formal night.

3. For the other 4 nights, plan on 2 skirts/pants that you wear twice each.

4. If you color coordinate, you can get by with one pair shoes for all 5 evenings. Example: black cocktail dress, black pants, white pants. Take black&white tops for the pants. One pair of black heeled sandals will work for all outfits.

5. Skip all the "just in case" stuff and take only the toiletries and meds that are really essential.

6. Wear your bulkiest clothes/shoes/jacket on travel day so you don't have to pack them

What's the difference in packing in a checked suitcase versus a carried on suitcase?

Luggage fees that the airlines now charge.

DW and I just came back from a 4 night cruise. We packed everything in a medium size suitcase (checked) and one carry on. I could not convince her to eliminate the suit case and pack into a second carry on. After re-evaluating at the end of the cruise (we both had clothes that we didn't wear), she realized that she could have done it.

I'm doing a 3 nighter and a 1 night pre-cruise stay, and will do it in a carry-on. I also have a 7 nighter, with 1 day pre-cruise and will also do that in a carry-on.

For the 3 nighter i will pack

1 pair of slacks, 3 caribbean themed shirts, 1 pair of room shorts, 2 swim trunks, socks and under garments for 2 per day. Pair of dress shoes, sandles, and sneakers. And toiletries for two.

For the 7 nighter i will have

2 slacks, 1 shirt, 1 tie, 5 caribbean shirts, 1 pair of room shorts, 2 swim trunks, socks and undies, and the same shoes, and toiletries.

I will also have snorkel gear, with a large bag to put the "extras" in (power strips, white noise machine etc). Also a backpack for activities (books, games etc). That is all i plan on taking. If i'm missing something, i don't need it! The 7 nighter we will take advantage of the bag of laundry special and wash what is needed. We may send our dinner clothing out to press, but that would need to be done regardless if we check a bag or carry-on one.

For the 3 nighter i will pack

1 pair of slacks, 3 caribbean themed shirts, 1 pair of room shorts, 2 swim trunks, socks and under garments for 2 per day. Pair of dress shoes, sandles, and sneakers. And toiletries for two.

For the 7 nighter i will have

2 slacks, 1 shirt, 1 tie, 5 caribbean shirts, 1 pair of room shorts, 2 swim trunks, socks and undies, and the same shoes, and toiletries.

Room shorts??:confused:

I just finished packing for the Apr 3, 8 day IOS cruise. No problems fitting everything in a carry-on bag and a backpack. Underwear, socks, bathing suite & shorts in the backpack. Pair of dress pant & dress shoes for dinner, about 12-15 Tommy Bahama shirts & flip-flops in the roller carry-on. Didn't even the expansion zipper. Wear your suite coat on the plane. It can be done. :D:D:D

Archived