To the over 50 group - do you still wear sleeveless dresses?

Gingee

Never thought to even be concerned about going sleeveless ... so I was surprised to see sleeveless and over 50. I guess I learn something new every day :) I have earned every wrinkle, sag and bag and at 57 I dress as nice as possible and as comfortable (including sleeveless) as possible. Jan

However, if you don't wear it at home, don't wear it on the ship.....your clothing style shouldn't change just because "no one knows you"!

actually i have CLOTHEs i wear just on a cruise, because dont really have the ocassion to DRESS around here so my "clothing style" does change...its my CHANCE to let 'loose' and have fun:D

actually i have CLOTHEs i wear just on a cruise, because dont really have the ocassion to DRESS around here so my "clothing style" does change...its my CHANCE to let 'loose' and have fun:D

Me too, I have some lovely dresses for formal evenings and I definitely

do not have the opportunity to wear them here at home.

So that part of my wardrobe definitely changes:)

I am 52 and for the first time I am actually bringing a dress with sleeves. Of course, every other outfit is sleeveless and there are lots of v-necks, scoopnecks and every color you can imagine! It's tasteful, what I wear at home and my style! Wear what you are comfortable in and what makes you happy.

I am 53 and right now my arms are in good shape (have worked out with weights for years and have never been overweight). If I keep working out, can they look okay indefinitely? Or do the "batwings" develop with age, do matter what you do?

I am a little afraid of the answer!

I'am not sure when we all became so "arm aware". It's just arms for crying out loud. LOL Mine are big, dimpled and saggy, sad to say. But my poor face is also saggy lately. And my neck. Everything is headed south. I can't cover my face because it's getting old, so why cover my arms? It just natures way. I'am very aware of what they look like, and little self concious about it, but I wear sleeveless anyway. To heck with it. Now my thighs....that's another story.

I can't remember ONE woman on any of our past cruises who made me avert my eyes because she was wearing a sleeveless dress!!! Heck, of the people I "do" remember, I don't remember what they wore at all. Wear what you want as long as it makes you feel comfortable.

Willie T, you're SO right. Age makes us lose muscle mass and so that makes the skin sag. I'd much rather sit with someone with sagging whatever and who is interesting, funny, informative and can participate in a conversation than with someone who's buff but boring.

I am 58 and still go sleeveless, though admit that a capped sleeve is more flattering. My problem is losing elasticity and seeing creases appear over the years. I'm a slim 121 lbs, but no amount of toning will fill them out. I'd like to think I'll be OK going sleeveless until around 65 (the official "seniors age")

By the way, it's lovely to read threads like this.Thanks for posting.

Anna

I am well over the "senior age" and I still wear sleeveless. I live in an age-restricted community and play tennis almost daily, so I think that my arms are no worse than any other woman my age (and a whole lot letter than some:D). I agree that cap sleeves, or even sleeves do look better, but if the dress I really love is sleeveless, then so be it. I don't do strapless: that just isn't a good look at this stage of my life. I made the decision that I am happy with my body and if someone else wants to talk about me, then be my guest. Life is just too short to be concerned with some of these things. DH and I are on a cruise to have a good time, not impress anyone else.

Now, having said that I do ask DH what he thinks this fill in the blank looks like and if he gets this:eek: look, it goes away:).

I'm nearing 67 pretty fast. Maybe it is just me, but it isn't a matter of toned arms, if you mean by that lots of exercise to firm up underlying muscles. My arm problem would be skin texture. No amount of biceps and triceps curls will change the crinkly "grandma" texture of my skin. No amount of skin lotions will either.

I tanned too much in my early teens and seldom at all since, but the sun has done its damage. The crinkly skin on my arms is the reason I don't wear sleeveless tops. Many women here in the 80s and older do wear sleeveless tops here in Florida's humid steambath summers. Maybe by the time I am 80 I will too. Right now, though, I am too self-conscious about my damaged skin to wear sleeveless tops.

My problem too, (skin texture) lotion does help, but not as much as I wish. As far as flabby arms, my arms are toned, not flabby, as far as the flab problem, they are fine. (I am over weight too) The skin texture is the thing with me.

However, I will wear sleeveless. I refuse to wear long sleeves in the heat, and it is my elbows that look the worst of my arms, they are very "crepey." I do often pick the little capped sleeves, (so almost sleeveless) as they flatter my arms a little more than true sleeveless.

Well I am glad I did post this. This has been interesting.

So how about shorts? Do you wear capris or shorts right at the knee or where?

yes i still wear shorts from mid thigh to knee length depending on how hot it is and also capris. sorry but i cant find the rule book that says after 50 you must cover up in a sack. be loud and proud of those wrinkles and non elastic skin i know i have worked damn hard for it over the last 55 years, no im not a model never wanted to be but as long as hubby and i are happy about the way im dressed and im not showing any naughty bits i dont care i have better things to do than worry about anybody spotting the odd wrinkle or two.by the way have you noticed how many of the blokes who critisise women have either chicken legs or man boobs ? !!!!!!

I wear capri length pants. I don't always think they are the most flattering, but to my job sometimes it's just necessary for comfort. I don't feel right wearing shorts while the general ed population is still attending school and it just gets too dang hot for long pants. The knee length shorts come out the day school is out and I wear them all during the summer. My shorts are knee length or just above the knee... a few too many spider veins any higher than that.

I prefer a cropped pant rather than a capri length, but it does depend on the length of the capri. If it hits right at the widest part of the calf, I think it makes legs look heavier. I don't care for a full leg on capris and also (my opinion) think a fitted capri looks better on most. I'm so glad those gaucho pants had a short shelf life...those were the most unflattering, both too full and hitting in exactly the wrong place on everyone. I guess more of a pedal pusher length or lower than the calf looks best to me.

Archived