That one dish...

sarahc78

Fresh made Waffles for breakfast ! Not in the dining room, upstairs in the buffet.

Don't miss !

And it's worth waiting for the ones being cooked. Don't take them if they've been sitting there. Enjoy! My favorite breakfast and the only time I eat waffles!

We were on the Equinox in Feburary, the BEST thing I put in my mouth while on that cruise were the cream cheese wontons in the Silk Harvest Restaurant.

I can't remember enjoying anything else more then those...

Gotta say I love the rum raisin ice cream (not something I would have thought I would like) and if on an M-class ship, do not miss the almond and/or the chocolate croissants in the Cova Cafe - delish!! Have fun :)

OK, adding this thread to the 'Looking for drink suggestions' thread is driving me crazy! Boy, do I wish our Sept West Coast Wine cruise was closer.

There were many dishes I loved, but one that stood out because I usually don't enjoy that one soup.....Italian Onion Soup at the Tuscan Grill. It's on all S-Class ships, and hopefully will be on the 'Solsticized' M-Class as they add the Tuscan Grill to those ships!

I'm usually not a big fan of French Onion Soup - a little too heavy, stringing cheese and even for an onion lover such as me, a bit over the top on the onion.

The Tuscan Grill Italian Onion Soup is chicken based, making it a bit lighter, less salty and I believe a shredded pecorino cheese. Not as stringy,salty and as heavy with the chicken base. Loved it.

The atmosphere in the Tuscan Grill (2-person table at the aft window, center) was fantastic. Service superb...when he asked me my wine preference, I asked him to match one with my order - thinking he'd probably recommend the most expensive and he didn't. Got me a taste, loved it and ordered it.

So go for the Italian Onion Soup. And ask for the 2-person window if you can - even if there are 4 of you, sit on each others lap - worth it! Ok, maybe not a great idea.

Denny

I'll be watching this topic as I'm also wanting to get the most out of our first Clebrity cruise.

So, I was also wondering if Baked Alaska will be served in the dining room on Alaskan cruises. I've never had it and thought it would be an appropriate time to try it if it's available.

I suppose it's a matter of taste (pun intended) but I have never been able to figure out why Baked Alaska acquired the reputation for being such a great dessert. It is simply a piece of cake with a slab of Neapolitan (Strawberry/Chocolate/Vanilla) ice cream on top and surrounded by some whipped egg whites (meringue) and baked. It is usually reserved for the Formal nights and I really, truly do not understand its appeal, especially when there are so many other delicious desserts available on Celebrity. I am a dessert addict and there are few sweets that I can pass by without some regret but Baked Alaska is one of them.

As far as reliably delicious (and always available on request) desserts I would mention creme brulee. Yummy!

My husband loves lamb shank which is served in MDR and we both enjoyed the goat cheese souffle in the specialty restaurants.

Two of my favorite things are, of course, the breadsticks, AND always on the first night for dessert, the swan puff. She's so pretty you won't want to eat her, but.....

I am a bread finatic!!! so the breadsticks are a must have hmmm I think I will be in heaven!!

That is the thing I liked best (which blew my husbands mind) about our first cruise was the different bread in each basket every night in the MDR yummy :)

This thread is bumming me out :(!

I found out that I am allergic to gluten :mad:.

Now, I can't have breadsticks, cheese souffle, the pastries from Cova, french onion soup, waffles and all the other good stuff ;)

Oh well, there are still some really good things to eat like the escargot, filet mignon, lamb shank... drum roll.... and creme brulee!

I suppose it's a matter of taste (pun intended) but I have never been able to figure out why Baked Alaska acquired the reputation for being such a great dessert. It is simply a piece of cake with a slab of Neapolitan (Strawberry/Chocolate/Vanilla) ice cream on top and surrounded by some whipped egg whites (meringue) and baked. It is usually reserved for the Formal nights and I really, truly do not understand its appeal, especially when there are so many other delicious desserts available on Celebrity. I am a dessert addict and there are few sweets that I can pass by without some regret but Baked Alaska is one of them.

As far as reliably delicious (and always available on request) desserts I would mention creme brulee. Yummy!

My husband loves lamb shank which is served in MDR and we both enjoyed the goat cheese souffle in the specialty restaurants.

Agreed, perhaps the fanfare that goes with it. Would much rather have a brulee:D...

I don't understand what people see it in. I always end up getting it anyway, since our waiter always looks horrified if we don't order it.

I know what you mean. Many waiters seem simply astounded when, on formal nights, I ask for the dessert menu and ask him NOT to bring the Baked Alaska for me. It is as though this was some sacrilege. However, I have no trouble doing what I wish to do regardless of the looks I get (from the waiters or the table mates). I have to say that there were many times when I would enjoy some delicious dessert while everyone else was having their Baked Alaska and sneaking decidedly envious looks at what I was enjoying ;)

We've had some Baked Alaska that was just disgusting, but I hope this is the "real Thing"

Even at its best, it's not very good so I would not even bother.

Celebrity has absolutely wonderful desserts that just beg to be enjoyed (I don't let them go begging for long :)) so why not go for something more original and better tasting?

• 3 weeks later...
Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day and we had a majority of ours in the main dining room on the Summit. The best item on the menu in my opinion is the french toast. Makes my mouth water just to think about it!

I love French toast too - but I am concerned about one thing - do they have REAL maple syrup? I can't stand Aunt Jemima and I'll bring my own bottle of Vermont's finest if I have to!

I love French toast too - but I am concerned about one thing - do they have REAL maple syrup? I can't stand Aunt Jemima and I'll bring my own bottle of Vermont's finest if I have to!

Hi:) I doubt it is Vermont's finest. You pack your own bottle of syrup?

Do you bubble wrap it and put it in your checked bag?

Or put a travel size 3 ouncer in your carry on?

I am not trying to be sarcastic....just curious really:)

I am one of those people who also loves French toast but my family eats them differently than

most....we put sugar and sour cream on top.:)

Even at its best, it's not very good so I would not even bother.

Celebrity has absolutely wonderful desserts that just beg to be enjoyed (I don't let them go begging for long :)) so why not go for something more original and better tasting?

Agree, I have never understood the infatuation with Baked Alaska. It's just icecream on top of cake with baked meringue. Pretty, but very old school. Now, if the cake is soaked in a liquer, and the ice cream is premium that would make it a little more special. I guess it is the "parade" that makes is special. JMO :)

Hi:) I doubt it is Vermont's finest. You pack your own bottle of syrup?

Do you bubble wrap it and put it in your checked bag?

Or put a travel size 3 ouncer in your carry on?

I am not trying to be sarcastic....just curious really:)

I am one of those people who also loves French toast but my family eats them differently than

most....we put sugar and sour cream on top.:)

LOL, I don't normally travel with syrup, but I would in this case. I am a low-carber but I relax on vacation, and maple syrup is one of my favorite things - no way I'm going on a two week vacation without it! It doesn't have to be Vermont's finest, but it needs to be real maple syrup, not imitation. If I do bring it with me, I would probably bubble wrap it and put it in my checked bag, because 3oz most certainly will not be enough! :)

Archived