booking directly through princess...

dis2cruise

Exactly. You can't just look at the websites, they are "generic" pricings...and if you call the online agency and give them your Captain's Circle number, they call Princess and then discount on top of that. Even if you say you are a past passenger on the agency website, it does not automatically pick up your special rate. And if the rate is only good for booking online, the rep on the phone will talk you through how to do that to get your special rate. We've saved a LOT this way.

GUXU- exactly!!!!!!! you're the MAN! BUT---I'm not sure we should have let that secret out of the bag,,,... Every T/A (most probably working out of their garage's/back bedrooms) commenting on this board are going to bad mouth you like they have me....

hahah...

ROFL

I met someone on our last cruise who was Elite on their first Princess cruise because they paid for a travel agent cruise coarse that allows them to sell cruises and receive TA rates for themselves.

I booked a Princess cruise through a land based Princess Commodore certified TA for my last 2 Princess sailings. On the second sailing I had to inform her that there was a price drop. Also I was sitting in the orthodontist office when I got a reminder on my phone that final payment was due. I called the TA to ask when final payment was due and she said in a surprised voice oh...today! For my upcoming cruise I booked directly with Princess with hopes of transferring the booking to a TA for a better price or OBC. I sent an email to the TA I had booked the past two times with giving her all of the details and I just came out and asked her if she could do better on the price or perhaps offer an OBC or a better category stateroom for the same Price. Her answer was, thank you for thinking of me you got a great price enjoy your trip. To be honest I would have transferred the booking to her if she would have offered me a bottle of wine. I was unsuccessful finding any reputable online agency who could offer anything better than Princess. I will contiue to book directly with Princess and search for a better price.

Just for grins I checked two online "discount" agencies & their starting price for a balcony is $855 vs. Princess direct $799. I am happy booking knowing (I hope) that my agency won't go under before final payment is made. Jan

You most likely qualified for a promo rate that is tied to your Captain Circle number (you had to give Princess your name, Capt Circle number of phone number so that they could look up the best possible prices). If you gave this to a travel gent, they should be able to pull up that same rate and discount it.

I don't worry about my agency going out of business - very high volume plus all of my payments are made direct to the cruise line.

Just for grins I checked two online "discount" agencies & their starting price for a balcony is $855 vs. Princess direct $799. I am happy booking knowing (I hope) that my agency won't go under before final payment is made. Jan

There is absolutely no way you can compare online pricing without putting your captain's circle number into the equation. You are just wasting your time by doing this. Without the captain's circle number you are seeing the regular rate for first time princess passengers. ;)

There is absolutely no way you can compare online pricing without putting your captain's circle number into the equation. You are just wasting your time by doing this. Without the captain's circle number you are seeing the regular rate for first time princess passengers. ;)

I did put my past passenger number in & I also called one...same price. Jan

I did put my past passenger number in & I also called one...same price. Jan

Not that I don't believe you, but something is really wrong here. Too bad we can't discuss this openly. What sailing was this for? Now you have my curiousity up as Princess does not undercut Travel Agents.

Not that I don't believe you, but something is really wrong here. Too bad we can't discuss this openly. What sailing was this for? Now you have my curiousity up as Princess does not undercut Travel Agents.

Emerald Princess sailing 9/5/10. have a booking for $799 & TA is $849.

Toto - you are right.

Though - it is possible that the rate that he/she received was only available to certain passengers and the agent didn't check the Captain Circle number or when the agent checked it, the promo had expired. There are a lot of promos right now that Princess is directing towards just certain passengers. You need to give the agent this info in order to get an accurate quote.

Though - if this is before final payment, an agent can discount the rate if one transfers it to an agent plus, if there are group amenities available, they may qualify for such items as OBC.

I just checked a random online discount TA site that I sometimes check pricing on(I don't even book through them) and even without my past passenger number, this discount site beat that $799 price Princess gave you, with my past passenger number, it beat by even more. And here is the clincher, it was for an even higher balcony stateroom, as BG was not even showing up since it is waitlist only. So, as said previously, discount TA's can beat Princess. ;)

As was posted, it pays to shop around for the best price. :)

So confusing! Wish we could discuss this as well. Jan

It is confusing........!

Princess sends certain rates out to certain people. Only those who receive the promos receive those rates (possible for husband to receive it and wife doesn't but if the husband sales with the wife, she also receives it). In order for an agent to quote that rate to you, they need your captain circle number (or phone number to look up your captain circle number). If they do not have that, the special rate you qualify for doesn't come up - only rates that qualify for everyone or regional rates, etc...

When you call Princess, they always ask your phone number or captain circle number (or name if you don't have those) so they can look up any special rates you qualify for.

On the other end - there are rates that agents can quote you that Princess direct can't (some flash rates). Agents also have group space which may have a lower rate or it may have group amenities such as OBC, coupon book, etc...

Just an example - let's say agents receive 15% commission (it varies). If you transfer your booking to an agent it comes with the full commission. If an agent chooses to discount the cruise (either agents discount or they don't), they can discount by a certain percentage/amount. Now, not all of the cruise fare is commissionable (taxes, fees are not) and many agents have to pay their parent agency a percentage but there is still lee-way in the 15% to discount some (rebate their commission back to their clients).

I hope this makes sense.

I just checked a random online discount TA site that I sometimes check pricing on(I don't even book through them) and even without my past passenger number, this discount site beat that $799 price Princess gave you, with my past passenger number, it beat by even more. So, as said previously, discount TA's can beat Princess. ;)

hmmmm, wish you could tell me more. Everyone I checked with the discount was not worth the transfer. So, I guess if I am happy with my price the endless search is not worth it to me. Thanks, Jan

hmmmm, wish you could tell me more. Everyone I checked with the discount was not worth the transfer. So, I guess if I am happy with my price the endless search is not worth it to me. Thanks, Jan

Oh yea, if you are happy with the price you paid, then it isn't worth the hassle. I did edit that previous post though, as the price that beat it was for a higher category balcony stateroom, as BG does not show up as it must be waitlist only. With that price, the savings wasn't earth shattering, but it was less. I was just checking to prove a point that a good discount TA can beat out Princess 99% of the time. ;) Enjoy your cruise!

Oh yea, if you are happy with the price you paid, then it isn't worth the hassle. I did edit that previous post though, as the price that beat it was for a higher category balcony stateroom, as BG does not show up as it must be waitlist only. With that price, the savings wasn't earth shattering, but it was less. I was just checking to prove a point that a good discount TA can beat out Princess 99% of the time. ;) Enjoy your cruise!

BF and BG is waitlisted.

Not sure what you mean by "not worth the transfer."

If the TA has a lower price, your existing booking can be transferred to the TA and you will then get that lower price from the TA. You do not (and should not) have to cancel and rebook.

I agree with those who shared a frustration with finding a "good" TA.

My experience has been that many (but not all) online agencies will offer lower prices than Princess. A few had higher prices, but I'm not sure how or why that's possible. Anyway, I've used several of these online discount TA's and have found them all to be nothing more than a person who can answer a phone and fill out the blanks on their computer screen to get you booked. I usually know far more about cruising, the ships, the itinerary, the way to pay, etc. than any of them do. I seriously doubt if any of them have even been on a cruise. One guy told me he just started the job and he sure did learn alot from me. :rolleyes:

But one agency in particular is always hundreds of dollars below any cruiseline or other agency price. I've used them three times, but twice they screwed up something very important and made me very upset. But it's hard not to go back to them because they are so cheap, although they do charge change fees and a "membership fee" for each cruise. I wouldn't pay it if they didn't have such good prices. I don't think the agents are very helpful, but I just need their price. For my next cruise, I found the exact cabin I wanted so I booked it with Princess since this agency was closed right then and I didn't want to chance this room being taken by someone else. I would transfer my current booking to them (and save $300), but I'm afraid that somehow they'll mess things up and lose my cabin during the transfer.

I have gone to a brick and mortar agency and also talked to a "luxury" agent, but both wouldn't go lower on price than the cruiseline's. So, what's a body to do?? :confused:

My friend said the same thing that Princess's price was always higher than TA's until I told her LOG IN to her account on Princess's web site to check the special price. That saved her $1,000+.

My Princess account shows the exact price as on their website. What "special price" am I supposed to see?? :confused:

If you book with Princess then want to turn it over to an agent do you have to get a form from princess then fax it to the new agent. I'm not sure I want to go through all that bother but I willsee how there prices are for my NOvember 28 Emerald Princess. Princess is 1099 for a balcony which I dont think is bad for 10 days.

Archived