Go with a JS on Freedom or stay in a D1?

markeb

OK, looking for some serious advice here. We're in 9630, port side forward hump D1 on Freedom. We booked on board, so got the D1 for a D2 price. We are considering changing to a JS. There's currently good availability, including on the hump. Since we got the discount on the D1, the upgrade cost is close to $1000 for two of us. The 7 day cruise in a JS would move us to Platinum (fourth cruise but two credits), which MIGHT offset some of the cost on our next cruise.

Our big hesitation is that we really don't spend much time in the cabin anyway. We tend to be at the pool, on the Flowrider, or wandering the ship whenever we can. We sleep, shower, and unwind periodically in the cabin.

We had planned to keep an eye out for any price drops or point specials from our TA (we're almost a year out), but availability right now is pretty good.

So, for close to $1000, is it worth it? What are we getting for the $$?

Thanks!

For me, absolutely not, for you who knows. Its all about whats important to you. I certainly wouldn't do it for platinum status. At most that will save you $100 on your next cruise. With that extra $1000 you could extend you vacation in Florida or fit in a shorter cruise. We have had both JS and D1's on Voyager and Freedom class and trust me, a D1 is more than enough room for two people. If it were a special occasion or the price was lower, I would say go for it, otherwise, no. Just my two cents!

For $1000 I wouldn't do it. We've stayed in a JS and to me the biggest difference in the cabin is the bathroom and the closet. Yes, the room is larger but as you mentioned, you don't spend much time in your cabin.

As far as being Platinum, you do get the balcony discount but that's just $100 for a 7 day cruise. Other than that, there is no real financial benefit to being Platinum. For $1000 you could just about book another cruise!

At the end of the day $1000 is a hefty sum and could completely cover your on board expenses. I would treat myself to a specialty restaurant and a great bottle of wine!

We have stayed in a JS one time and wouldn't pay the extra to do it again unless the price was very, very close to a balcony cabin. I know others will only stay in a JS or above so it really is a matter of personal preference.

You already said you don't spend much time in the room....will you really need the extra space?

I love JS's, but it's really such a personal decision... the only thing you get for the money is space....no "perks", except for priority boarding line, in a JS!

No way!!! I agree with all of the above. $1000 is a lot of money. (To me anyway). You have the perfect location and a very nice cabin. Spend the money on other things or toward your next cruise, it could amount to 1/2 the cost. :D:D

You're reinforcing our thoughts as well. If there's either a drop in JS price or an increase in our TA's award program, we might make the move, but otherwise I think we'll stick with what we've got!

Book both categories now, watch the prices before final payment is due cancel one.

This way you get the best locations for each category while they are available now.

It will cost you an extra $500 deposit, but think of that as paying some toward your cruise.

Jimbo:)

A hump D1 cabin is really quite spacious enough for two people. We have sailed in hump area D1s on all three Freedom Class ships and we were really pleased with the room.

A JS will get you a longer balcony, an upholstered easy chair with hassock and a sofa. The closet is a walk-in; the bathroom is nicer. But is that worth $1000 more?

I love the space in a JS, but unless the JS is going for only a little more than a D1, I won't book a JS.

I wouldn't do it for that much money though. Last year we had the corner aft booked on deck 10 and a JS (aso aft) became available for $300 more. I didn't want to give up my corner aft so I passed on it and a little while later the JS price was lower than the D1 by $100 so we did make the switch. We loved the cabin and just booked it upfront for this year - and are paying a lot more than we would have for a D1. But last year since I was very happy with my original cabin, I would not have made the switch had it not been for the lower price.

We had a granddaughter with us last year and will have a grandson this year and the JS was perfect. For the two of us I would stick with the D1.

We just got back from a JS on Liberty. We had also upgraded from D1 but for $400 total. I think that is about my max that I would pay. We really didn't use that much of the extra space and we spend a lot of time in the room.

I wouldn't do it for 1K!

You're reinforcing our thoughts as well. If there's either a drop in JS price or an increase in our TA's award program, we might make the move, but otherwise I think we'll stick with what we've got!

Just one thing that no one has mentioned (I think).

By any chance, is either of you a VERY *fluffy* person?

The JS has a bathtub, not the Star Trek tube shower. More room there.

We've had both JS & most recently D1 hump on FOS (9642). Although we like the space in the JS, especially the wider balcony, the D1's on the Freedom class are totally fine IMHO for a 7 day cruise. We don't spend that much time in the cabin to justify the extra cost.

That $1000 will go a long, long way towards that SeaPass account:D

Archived