All Things Adventure of the Seas ¡Olé! Edition

hello everyone,

2 days ago, we booked our cruise on the Adventure, leaving October 9. I am really glad to have found this thread and to read a lot about the ship.

We were on the Liberty in April and on the Splendour last October. We have also been on a Celebrity and Carnival cruise.

Re: stocking the ship: those logistics can be complicated, and usually, they are done from 1 port. It isn't always possible nor done to just stock up on whatever at just some port.

Welcome Sandra, I look forward to reading how your planning goes.

I don't think there will be a lot of planning involved, but what we did until now didn't go without problems:

As usual, I wanted to start booking online. In Belgium, you can only get a courtesy hold on a room and then you have to go through a TA to pay. But I like how you van choose your room yourself on the website. So, I choose category and room, and I get a confirmation email saying I have a courtesy hold for that room and my family time dining. OK, I don't want that, I want MTD, and as far as I could remember, I hadn't chosen that option (I have MTD as a general preference in my profile).

I try out a second reservation, once again they don't ask me which dining option I want and the confirmation email says Early Dining. At that point, I called my mom (who I will travel with) and gave her exact instructions on what to ask the TA. She called and we got the room and dining we wanted. (room 7675 will be available again as from tomorrow, when my courtesy hold ends)

Then, I want to book the flights online on the Brussels Airlines website. I choose the flights and when I want to pay, it says for every credit card I try that authorization is refused.

Once again I call my mom with exact instructions who then got the tickets through the TA (but more expensive than online)

Only thing we have to do now is get hotel Pre and Post cruise in Malaga. That's wit, I don't think we'll do any excursions. We will just wander around by ourselves.

That's great Sandra, we like going around by ourselves too. I think the RCI reservation in France is pretty much as you describe, but since we're French-American we chose to book from the US this time to keep things simpler. Good luck with your pre and post cruise tours!

Sorry not a patch is probably a Yorkshire term for not as good.

I guess I just expected that if they new that new guests would be getting on the ship on the monday they would have arranged for a re stock of stuff they had run out off. Just like I see the supermarket stock the shelves up for the weekend rush.

Sorry not a patch is probably a Yorkshire term for not as good.

I guess I just expected that if they new that new guests would be getting on the ship on the monday they would have arranged for a re stock of stuff they had run out off. Just like I see the supermarket stock the shelves up for the weekend rush.

Actually when I think about it they ran out of 'English Breakfast Tea' on our sailing in May from Barcelona and at least one of the coffee machines in Cafe Promenade was always out of action. Perhaps they don't realise they'll have a few Brits on board and we don't all drink coffee all the time.

They also didn't have lids for the take out cups like they do on Freedom class. On health and safety grounds they should provide lids for hot beverages IMHO.

So long as they don't run out of Earl Grey I'm good to go!
I'd suggest you take some with you just in case they don't have any. They have quite a selection of 'fruit' teas, but I don't recall seeing Earl Grey, but I could be wrong.

I usually take my own low fat sugar free hot chocolate drink as the one they provide has loads of sugar. I also take Crystal Light sachets to put in my water bottle as I refuse to pay for bottled water and the tap water has too much of a taste unless v. cold.

As for tea, despite what most Americans assume, I don't drink it very often. I do miss the Cappuchino machine in the Concierge lounge and we are nowhere near Diamond+.

Corinne

I have used trip advisor for information about the ports.

I went to Palma on a previous Med cruise, had not prepared and quite honestly we just walked into the main shopping street and went back. It was too hot!

This time I planned on seeing the lovely cathedral, but I have researched on line and I am wondering if it will be open in the afternoon.

I have heard the Gothic part near to the cathedral is pleasant for walking around. I am still deciding between that and making our way up (probably by taxi) to the Castle for the views. It might be an "on the day decision".

Cagliari and Ajaccio do not seem to be geared up for cruise ship day trips - perhaps they are really included for the opportunity for a beach outing. I prefer to wander around. The annoying thing is that things I would have visited in Cagliari are closed on a Monday. I am sure they will be pleasant Mediterranean places.

I had considered the train trip in Sardinia - but I don't like the herding quality of ship tours.

Good news about the Earl Grey!

It's getting hot in southern France, I think the weather on the Med this summer is going to be really warm and lovely. Yeah!!!

I read your post on another board about your frustrations with trying to apply a price drop. Of course, those of us who book in Europe don't have that option anyway but I see that you booked in the US. I do hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the cruise. We look forward to reading your report when you return.

Corinne

Good news about the Earl Grey!

It's getting hot in southern France, I think the weather on the Med this summer is going to be really warm and lovely. Yeah!!!

I also read your post about the price drop on another thread. I too noticed a huge price drop on our category of stateroom but received the same answer "New Bookings Only" and this was about 6 weeks ago, just after we had made final payment. Disappointing but don't let it spoil your cruise. Will see you onboard - drink at the pool bar on embarkation ???

Pencruise and Osmondfan, I won't let the price thingy spoil my cruise, but GRRRRR! I will check again on Wed to see if the prices stay low and call again.

Are we on the same sailing Pencruise? Yes, we can certainly meet at the pool bar, I have a really obnoxious tie-dye Jamaica t-shirt that will let you single me out in a flash!

Pencruise and Osmondfan, I won't let the price thingy spoil my cruise, but GRRRRR! I will check again on Wed to see if the prices stay low and call again.

Are we on the same sailing Pencruise? Yes, we can certainly meet at the pool bar, I have a really obnoxious tie-dye Jamaica t-shirt that will let you single me out in a flash!

Yup we are on the same sailing. We are spending a few days pre-cruise in Marbella. Will also double check the prices tomorrow morning, you never know !!!! Will look out for you onboard. Not long to go now.

Yup we are on the same sailing. We are spending a few days pre-cruise in Marbella. Will also double check the prices tomorrow morning, you never know !!!! Will look out for you onboard. Not long to go now.

Looks like balcony cabins are now sold out, so no sense even calling to ask for an upgrade I guess. What this has taught me is don't book early especially if you're driving to the port of departure (no worries about finding flights) and if you can be a little bit flexible. Both apply to us.

I look forward to meeting you Pencruise!

So about to board the Adventure today, looking forward to a special experience tomorrow watching the World Cup final with lots of Spanish/ Spain based expats 1000? and probably less than 30 dutchies

Way to go, or as they say in Nl Hup Holland hup! (Although we agree with the psychic Octopus that Spain will win) :D

dutch

So about to board the Adventure today, looking forward to a special experience tomorrow watching the World Cup final with lots of Spanish/ Spain based expats 1000? and probably less than 30 dutchies

Way to go, or as they say in Nl Hup Holland hup! (Although we agree with the psychic Octopus that Spain will win) :D

dutch

We're rooting for the Dutch, I've always had a soft spot for them since the days when Johnny Rep played and I thought he was lovely (that's showing my age) :rolleyes:. Glad to see you're hearing about the octopus in Holland - what a great story, but surely even an octupus must get it wrong sometimes :D

Here is the first part of my Adventure Review

This is our 3rd cruise with Royal, 2nd in Europe. We are a family of 4.

We travelled from Dublin the night before and stayed in the renassance hotel near the airport. Hotel was OK, served its purpose as we arrived at 11pm. The hotel has a free shuttle bus from the airport.

On the morning of boarding, we took a shuttle bus arranged by the hotel at a cost of €10 per adult and €5 per child. The journey took about 15 Mins.

We arrived at the port at 11.30am and our luggage was taking be a porter, we went to the check in desk. Check in was very quick. There is some shops after check in but they don’t sell booze or cigs, unless you are sailing outside the EU.

The kids are issued with a wristband that has the muster station for them on it.

We then boarded at about noon. We went to the windjammer for an early lunch before the ship filled up. I wont go into the detail of what was available, as its pretty much the same as any RCCL ship. I will say that the quality of the food was good, and plenty of choice. (Even for my fussy 5 year old daughter)

For a ship that is nearly 10 years old, its in very good condition. I pressume that this is down to the staff, who are constantly cleaning, washing, and I think even painting on port days.

We decided to check out our cabin, which was as we expected, as we had stayed in a GS before. RCCL don’t have an upgrade fairy, it’s the very clever marketing department. Last year we had a JS booked but were upgraded to a GS, so now we had to book a Gs. (I hope they don’t upgrade me to a RS, it could get very expensive) So the cabin, Clean, no flat screen, but Im on a cruise, so who cares. The drawback about a GS is the balcony is not as deep as those on the back of the ship. However, the space inside compensates for it, lots of wardrobe space, which is good for us, as we don’t travel lite.

Then it was time to hit the pool, (The kids were onboard for about 2 hours now) Bring your swimming gear on in a carry on. At about 3pm we went back to the room to find our luggage had been delivered. So some quality time for my wife to unpack in peace as I went for a wander around the ship with the kids.

So far so good, Stress levels at a minnimum.

Then the lifeboat drill, Captain found his keys and we were off.

Very important note for smokers, You can buy packs of 20’s in the bars.

First Port was Villefrance. Here you have to take a tender that takes about 5 mins. Not much of a queue as we waited for about an hour. Took a little train from just outside the port. Just did our own thing.

Second port was Sardinia. Here we were docked in the port, but you have to take a free bus out of the port, takes about 2 mins. Again we did our own thing.

Third port was Silicy. There was 4 cruise ships in port. Here you can just walk off the ship, and do whatever.

We did go to a couple of the shows, they were ok, The ice show was good.

TBC

Archived