Athens Embarkation and Greece's Current Problems

sunsetbeachgal

We embark in Athens for a Med Cruise in early Sept. While I know that is a long way off, the escalating violence and strikes there are starting to make us nervous. Princess uses Athens pretty extensively during the summer for the Pacific and Ocean Princess. It is easy enough for ships that visit Athens as a stop to skip it or substitute another port, but for embarkations/disembarkatons it is another issue. Do you think there is a possibility they will look to change?

It all depends on if things get better or worse over there. They can not speculate this far out for September. I would continue to watch the situation, and any updates will be on the Princess website if a change is necessary. Good luck though!

No - I don't think they'll change their plans unless the riots get significantly worse and I don't think they will.

The majority of Athenians are going about their normal lives, working, shopping, playing, going to school, etc.

I think people will tire of rioting by September, especially since so many take their vacations in August. Even rioters have their priorities. :D

A few more incidences like this and I'm sure cruise lines will rethink stopping there.

Associated Press

04/26/10 2:00 PM PDT

ATHENS, GREECE — Protesting port workers in Greece have stopped several hundred mostly Spanish tourists from boarding a cruise ship in a dispute over labor reforms sought by the government of the debt-strapped country.

Marine authorities and protesters say the tourists were prevented Monday from boarding the Zenith cruise ship, which was due to start a weeklong trip to ports in Croatia, Italy and Greece.

Greek seamen's unions, fearing job losses, are angry at plans by the government to relax so-called cabotage rights to allow non EU-flagged vessels to operate in Greece.

Greece relaxed the rules as part of an effort to boost tourism revenue and business productivity. Athens is currently negotiating a rescue package agreement with European countries and the IMF to deal with its financing crisis.

Often what we see on TV is over blown. We have departed and left from Athen a number of times, we are also booked on the Rotterdam in 2011 to leave from Athens.

From what I saw on TV, would not be concerned. Looked like demonstrations are centeralized around govt buidlings.

We have stayed at the Marriott Ledra, right across from the Intercontinental hotel and plan to stay there again. This is some distance from where current demonstrations are taking place. The port area is about a 20 minute taxi ride away.

If things really become problematic, Princess will make changes, as would any cruiseline.

Don't buy you air til you make your final payment if you are buying on your own.

Just FYI, the port is technically not in Athens, it's in the city of Piraeus. Any protests going on in Athens proper can be easily bypassed. (Assuming the airport is open at all, of course.)

If you want to take the subway from the Airport to Piraeus, you have to go through downtown, but the express bus (which is quite cheap), taxis, and I'm assuming airport-ship transfers don't have to go anywhere near the city proper.

SirWired

I have been to Greece several times. I must say that they protest SOMETHING an an almost daily basis. I was in the main square and suddenly about 500 sign waving, chanting (in a language I don't understand) men came out of nowhere. Scary. I agree with Colo - this is not something to take lightly. Nor is the fact that the union dock workers are preventing people from boarding ships. That being said, I also trust Princess to follow the situation carefully and act accordingly. Also, check the State Department warning lists. I'm sure it will all be fine by September.

For most of us cruisers who are embarking or disembarking ships in Athens this summer or fall, airline tickets were purchased months ago. Will just wait and watch...

Yep ... that's my case. Tickets purchased long ago for a July 2 embarkation on the Pacific Princess in Piraeus. We'll be watching reports!!

Just FYI, the port is technically not in Athens, it's in the city of Piraeus. Any protests going on in Athens proper can be easily bypassed. (Assuming the airport is open at all, of course.)

If you want to take the subway from the Airport to Piraeus, you have to go through downtown, but the express bus (which is quite cheap), taxis, and I'm assuming airport-ship transfers don't have to go anywhere near the city proper.

SirWired

I suggest you read post #7 on this thread.

Sure, it's not anarchy there. But there are definitely signficant protests going on in Athens and disruptions of travel to the point of passengers being kept from boarding their ship in Piraeus.

I am on two cruises this fall, one round-trip from Athens and one ending in Athens. I am not afraid, on the other hand, I am certainly following the events there carefully. It hopefully won't stop me getting to my cruise, but it may impact what I decide to do on my four days in Athens.

While the protests have often turned ugly, it appears that the Greek people have a culture and tradition of letting people know where and when protests will take place. Here is a link to the US Embassy's office in Athens and their page giving each day's scheduled protests:

http://athens.usembassy.gov/demonstrations_update.html

Did an advanced search on a travel web site, and it appears that starting on May 15th with the Crown, Princess has many ships scheduled to make a stop at Athens. Will be interested to see if these are affected...:confused:

I have been to Greece several times. I must say that they protest SOMETHING an an almost daily basis. I was in the main square and suddenly about 500 sign waving, chanting (in a language I don't understand)
:confused:

Might they have been chanting in Greek?;)

Currently there is a thread posted by someone on the Ruby on the Grand Med cruise. The last four days have 2 stops in Greece - one in Athens, one in Mykonos. She says so far they've heard nothing but as it gets closer to the 12th or 13th I am sure by then a decision will have been made as if the Athens stop is possible and I'm sure she'll post how they resolve it. Just wondering - would it be possible to substitute Santorini or another isle for the Athens port? Will be interesting to see since I'll be on that cruise beginning May 29.

Last September when we were boarding the Nautica in Istanbul, I flipped on the TV for a little CNN fix and found they were doing the non-stop story on the floods in ISTANBUL and how many killed etc. We had been in Istanbul for 3 days and knew for a fact that it was just a mist to light rain. Seems that a far flung section of Istanbul had some temporary housing (squatters) that got washed away because they were in the flood plains drainage area.

Sure was a surprize though.

Having lived in the suburbs of District of Columbia for 30 + years and having been across the street the day Reagen was shot, 2 miles away from Pentagon on 9/11, and many many other "Big Deals". Lots can happen and not really have much impact on "regular" people or tourists. Ground Zero is where a terrorist or a fool chooses and you have to pray that you are not there. Living in fear and internalizing all as danger is also very bad for health. Live and be free -- it is the best a human can do.

Lots can happen and not really have much impact on "regular" people or tourists.

100% true.

However, last week included strikes that would have prevented any cruise ship from docking. Of course, hard to predict if that will happen again soon.

Archived