Cabin Classes What do they mean?

snark007

I always see cabin classes. Please help me to understand what they mean. They are different from ship to ship. where can I get an explanation of the codes they use?

Thanks

Probably the best way is to go to the Celebrity web site, pick a ship and look up the staterooms. I have included a link for you below on the Solstice. Just click on Stateroom Gallery. As you stated they are not all the same. ie: Only the Solstice Class ships include and Aqua Class Category. If you go more deeply into the web site they will show you the amenities that come with each class...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/ships/ship.do;jsessionid=0000COQrEZky2Vk72w4UttCvt1f:12h3rnd1c?shipCode=SL&cS=SIDENAV

Edited by dkjretired

Easy way to think of it is this--and it's pretty much true for all ships on all cruise lines:

There are really only four types of cabins:

Inside--no windows

"Ocean View"--a window to the outside

Balcony

Suite

The different categories within each group (aside from suites) are really more to do with location than anything else...

All cruise lines will create different categories within the above groups with slight price differences...usually based on deck or on location within the ship...go one deck up in virtually the same cabin and you are one category higher...a cabin near midship may be one category higher than one toward the front or back...anf the "higher" category will have a marginally higher price...

They do this because some people perceive an advantage to a higher deck or a more midship location and are willing to pay a little more for that location...

Celebrity (and some other lines to some extent) have also differentiated groups of balcony cabins based on some added amenities--hence "Concierge" and "Aqua Class"...Concierge has a few added amenities and Aqua Class some special spa and dining amenities...but the cabins are basically the same as all other balcony cabins...

Suites, of course, are in different categories based on the size of the suite...all of which are larger than standard balcony cabins...

As far as I am concerned all inside cabins are basically the same--the layout is the same, the view :) is the same...The only difference is the convenience of the location and what deck you are on may be of importance to some...

Ocean View cabins, again, are all the same...and, for the most part, all on low decks...and, again, it's a matter of location...

Balconies are higher decks...and, in my mind, no difference between being on, say, Deck 7 and Deck 8...but 8 will be a slightly higher priced category...

Of course, if you find a cabin you like, don't worry about the category, the price difference isn't that much anyway...

But, really don't expect to see much of a differnece between, say, your 1C cabin and a 1A cabin or your category 10 inside from your category 11 inside...

I always see cabin classes. Please help me to understand what they mean. They are different from ship to ship. where can I get an explanation of the codes they use?

Thanks

Are you trying to understand the codes Celebrity uses or the shorthand words, or "codes", we use here on cruise critic?

The Celebrity codes are more or less explained in any of the brochures on the ships, or deck plans on their website, that describe the rooms and locations.

Here on Cruise Critic we frequent posters use some codes that are a combination of the codes used by Celebrity (see above) along with some abbreviations. Some common ones:

FV - Family view room - these are larger rooms designed to accommodate larger families.

CC - often used to refer to both Concierge Class rooms or to Cruise Critic. Celebrity recently tiered the Concierge Class rooms so now they might also be referred to as C1, C2 or C3 rooms.

OS - outside rooms which have no balcony (just a window)

Any others you're trying to figure out?

Edited by Lsimon

Are you trying to understand the codes Celebrity uses or the shorthand words, or "codes", we use here on cruise critic?

The Celebrity codes are more or less explained in any of the brochures on the ships, or deck plans on their website, that describe the rooms and locations.

Here on Cruise Critic we frequent posters use some codes that are a combination of the codes used by Celebrity (see above) along with some abbreviations. Some common ones:

FV - Family view room - these are larger rooms designed to accommodate larger families.

CC - often used to refer to both Concierge Class rooms or to Cruise Critic. Celebrity recently tiered the Concierge Class rooms so now they might also be referred to as C1, C2 or C3 rooms.

Larry is correct and brings up good points. Another use for CC is Captains Club which is the name of Celebrity's previous cruiser club. So if you see CC it could mean Concierge Class, Cruise Critic or Captains Club...

Not every cruise line categorizes their cabins in the same way. Some use a number system, some number and letters and others use just letters. And, there are no rhyme or reason on how the categorize things because on some lines, the higher the number or letter means the lowest cabin category while on other lines, the lower number/letter means the most expensive cabins.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the difference between C1 and C2 just location? I am booked in a C2 on Century. The cabin adjacent is a C1. I am assuming they are essentially the same, just curious. (Newbie question that I couldn't find the answer to by searching. I have learned so much on these boards in the past couple months. You folks are amazing!)

Like state lines, cruise lines are arbitrary and all about money. Where they draw the lines defies logic. M class 2C's on deck six are now C1's. And to think I once sailed in 6135 for the price of a 2C :):(. If they could find a way to convince people that an inside was worth as much as an outside, I am sure they would do it.:eek:

It really comes down to the desirability of the cabin. Generally C1 have something special about them, like a bigger balcony. For example on the M class ships the aft cabins with the big balcony and the 4 cabins designed to be second adjoining bedrooms to the Royal Suites on deck 6 are the C1 category. All have larger than normal balconys.

The difference between C2 and C3 in my opinion is more about location. C2 being more mid ship.

C1's seem to be selling out quickly now so generally they don't get price drops like they used to when there was only one CC class.

Probably the best way is to go to the Celebrity web site, pick a ship and look up the staterooms. I have included a link for you below on the Solstice. Just click on Stateroom Gallery. As you stated they are not all the same. ie: Only the Solstice Class ships include and Aqua Class Category. If you go more deeply into the web site they will show you the amenities that come with each class...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/ships/ship.do;jsessionid=0000COQrEZky2Vk72w4UttCvt1f:12h3rnd1c?shipCode=SL&cS=SIDENAV

Don that is a great site!

We have sailed the Solstice recently. We are sailing on the Equinox in Oct and I know they are sister ships; I wanted to see the color variations between them.

I tried changing the above link to the Equinox, but couldn’t figure how. (I tried drilling down, but could not find the stateroom gallery for the Equinox.)

Any suggestions?

Is the difference between C1 and C2 just location? I am booked in a C2 on Century. The cabin adjacent is a C1. I am assuming they are essentially the same, just curious. (Newbie question that I couldn't find the answer to by searching. I have learned so much on these boards in the past couple months. You folks are amazing!)

It depends on the ship. On the Century I believe that the only difference is location. I haven't been on Century yet so I could be wrong but that is my understanding based on looking into that when booking our upcoming Century cruise.

On the M Class the C1 cabins have larger verandas and the only difference between C2 and C3 is the location.

• 7 years later...
On the Equinox I see Veranda staterooms in categories 1a, 1b, and 1c along with 2a and 2b that all appear to be the same size. What is the difference between these 5 categories?

The cost 😱

It is basically the location. The middle of the ship is considered the best place for limited movement.

The aft cabins are desirable because many like viewing the wake so the cruise lines charge more.

Cabins above public spaces aren't desirable because of the noise. Many like cabins on deck 7 or 8 because it is only a few stairs up or down to the public areas so they charge more for them. Really doesn't matter if youalways used the elevators. The lower decks also have obstructed views because of the life boats

Best to talk to your travel agent. If they can't give you a answer that you are happy with get a new TA

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞