No more price drops for RC?

If you book a cruise like we do 16 months in advance.......if any price reductions become available up until the final payment due date, which would be 70 days prior to sailing..........we would get the price reductions.

After final payment is made.........and the price goes down........no OBC, but you may be able to get an upgrade. I think??:o This is the part that needs to be clarified.

Yes...that is correct....you would be able to upgrade if there is one available....but no more OBC after final if you see the price drop.

I noticed that the Oasis has July Florida resident rates of $1499 for Balcony cabins that are usually $1899. Why would I want to make a deposit for next summer's cruise, knowing they probably can't fill 2 Oasis class ships, let alone one? We are Diamond members, who always planned about a year out but I just can't see why I would continue with thinking that way. It seems to make the most sense to plan within the 60-90 days final payment window. Anyone else agree or disagree?

Yep....have to agree with you there....just like you say I have seen senior and residency discounts of $400+/passenger:eek: I to was also looking at Allure for 2012, but after seeing the pricing I just laughed...if this is the new game they want to play they are going to have to start pricing sailings right from the beginning....not just ask the crazy prices like they have been asking on Allure/Oasis, because just like you say they have been dropping them like mad after final.

I also agree with you that Royal is now just pushing their customer to wait to book till the last minute. I may still book ahead in some cases but if I see no price drops and LOTS of availability just prior to final, I will be cancelling and re-booking again after final.....like posted above....the best drops usually come 2-3 weeks after final.

Thanks Steve, I guess it's not so complicated after all.:mad::p

Your welcome Patti:) I bet you are going to see people starting to book lesser cabins now...it's much easier to upgrade from a lower category cabin than a high category cabin;)

Want to talk about getting WHACKED after final on Oasis....I just looked at the June 12th sailing.....an assigned Junior Suite is going for $2899....a category W Guarantee Junior Suite is going for $1999...a difference of $1800:eek::eek::eek:for the stateroom. Under the old price protection policy they would allow you to make the switch after final , take the savings in the form of OBC and be a happy camper. Just how happy do you think anyone booked into a JS on that sailing under the new policy would be:mad:

Want to talk about getting WHACKED after final on Oasis....I just looked at the June 12th sailing.....an assigned Junior Suite is going for $2899....a category W Guarantee Junior Suite is going for $1999...a difference of $1800:eek::eek::eek:for the stateroom. Under the old price protection policy they would allow you to make the switch after final , take the savings in the form of OBC and be a happy camper. Just how happy do you think anyone booked into a JS on that sailing under the new policy would be:mad:

Hello Steve,

It reminds me of the IRS when they put out new rules and guidelines. The next day the whole country is our there trying to find the work around. :D Its just RCL should should do some research before they make their changes. :confused:

Mike

Hello Steve,

It reminds me of the IRS when they put out new rules and guidelines. The next day the whole country is our there trying to find the work around. :D Its just RCL should should do some research before they make their changes. :confused:

Mike

No there is nothing wrong with changes..........just make sure EVERYONE from the call center on, is on the same page, and PLEASE make sure it is worded where everyone understands it.:p

All--

Just got the e-mail with the latest changes in the C&A program. From what I can see they didn't take anything away except that non-members (people on board who have not completed their first cruise with RCCL?) can't get the onboard credit. We've never booked onboard so I don't know if the new combinations are an improvement or not. It looks to me, at first glance, that the bonus for shorter cruises is hardly worth it but...

Frank in overcast SBA:cool:

Patti--

Hi to you and Jim. We see you are doing Australia on our favorite ship. We considered it but it's still a bit too pricey for us.

According to a lot of the posters here, they wouldn't mind a bit, because they "booked at the price they were comfortable with". :rolleyes:

According to a lot of the posters here, they wouldn't mind a bit, because they "booked at the price they were comfortable with". :rolleyes:

Probably as unhappy as me, who is booked on NOS, with an inside and a balcony, now price dropped over 800 bucks, and can get two balconys for less than an inside and a balcony, but as of 5/17. they no longer honor price drops!

I personally think thats a load of ......

wondering if all cruise lines do it that way now!

I called crown and anchor , and talked to Elaine, I actually asked her if she was reading from a script! She was so impersonal, and unwilling to even explain the new policy! Diamond ,Shmimond! guess it doesnt matter!

Probably as unhappy as me, who is booked on NOS, with an inside and a balcony, now price dropped over 800 bucks, and can get two balconys for less than an inside and a balcony, but as of 5/17. they no longer honor price drops!

I personally think thats a load of ......

wondering if all cruise lines do it that way now!

I called crown and anchor , and talked to Elaine, I actually asked her if she was reading from a script! She was so impersonal, and unwilling to even explain the new policy! Diamond ,Shmimond! guess it doesnt matter!

Wait a minute.....did you book this cruise before May 17? If so, then you should be eligible for price drops up until 72 hours before sailing. (except for Tuesday sale events) :confused:

Wait a minute.....did you book this cruise before May 17? If so, then you should be eligible for price drops up until 72 hours before sailing. (except for Tuesday sale events) :confused:

Yep....that is what i have been told also....and I held on the phone twice while it was confirmed with whatever departments it had to be confirmed with....now of course nowhere is this in writing. Looks to me like Royal may have wrote this one vague on purpose...so they can bend it any which way they want.

Smart, RCI. I was going to book an Allure cruise tomorrow for 2012, but you just convinced me to wait. And waiting gives me time to think about other options. I'm sure the numbers were crunched, but somehow you keep finding ways to tick off your most loyal customers.

We have back-to-back cruises booked for 2012 but will probably cancel now since I'm sure there will be a price drop between now and then. Their new offer of booking early on cruises if you are C&A doesn't come close to reduced fares on sales. I agree with others on this post. We have been loyal to this line, but now we're going to be looking elsewhere if they are going to keep changing the rules. It took a long time to get to Diamond, but "Oh Well", we can build up loyalty elsewhere as well.

We have back-to-back cruises booked for 2012 but will probably cancel now since I'm sure there will be a price drop between now and then. Their new offer of booking early on cruises if you are C&A doesn't come close to reduced fares on sales. I agree with others on this post. We have been loyal to this line, but now we're going to be looking elsewhere if they are going to keep changing the rules. It took a long time to get to Diamond, but "Oh Well", we can build up loyalty elsewhere as well.

Welcome to the Club...

We did this several years ago when the drastic changes started and never looked back. Now instead of 5 RCCL's booked we have almost zeroed them out with no regrets whatsoever...

It is not as hard as you think... This whole point/credit thing has really gotten out of control, I mean we cruise to enjoy it, not to build status/superiority!!!

For the perks they offer we have paid dearly. As someone stated a few threads back, "I could have bought a house with what I have spent"...:eek:

Keep the perks, I can buy it when I need them.

All--

Just got the e-mail with the latest changes in the C&A program. From what I can see they didn't take anything away except that non-members (people on board who have not completed their first cruise with RCCL?) can't get the onboard credit. We've never booked onboard so I don't know if the new combinations are an improvement or not. It looks to me, at first glance, that the bonus for shorter cruises is hardly worth it but...

Patti--

Hi to you and Jim. We see you are doing Australia on our favorite ship. We considered it but it's still a bit too pricey for us.

Frank! Norm! HI!

It's hardly worth the wait to see the LA on board for the $25 OBC. I'd still prefer to be able to use the shareholders OBC....it's faster and easy than booking on board. Reduced deposit on board is also no big deal for a shorter cruise since the deposit is so low anyway no matter where one books.

Gina

All--

Patti--

Hey you two, nice to hear from you and nice that you remembered us. Oh it would have been so nice to have you guys on any of our Austarlia cruises. Trivia would never be the same! Hope you will reconsider if/when the prices go down.

The new C&A Benefits are great for those that book on board.......they can once again combine an OBC with a discount. The addition of the free internet minutes, 20% off internet packages and one bag of free laundry is appreciated and welcomed.

I understand that this is a C&A thing.........but RCI is still ignoring it's shareholders. Since we book most of our cruises 14-16 months in advance and from home..........we only get to pick one benefit. We were lucky when we booked the Radiance to Australia........we were on a ship at the right time for a change.

Guess it's time once again to start picking up a few NC bookings while on board.

Yup ,been booked and paid for way before 17 May, I agree, I should be able to ! They told me and the TA the same thing! New policy, basically too bad ,so sad! as I said, Diamond , Shiamond! means nothing!

They wouldnt even upgrade!

Still wondering if this is a policy across the board for all cruise lines!

Yup ,been booked and paid for way before 17 May, I agree, I should be able to ! They told me and the TA the same thing! New policy, basically too bad ,so sad! as I said, Diamond , Shiamond! means nothing!

I think that your TA needs to call again and speak to a Supervisor. If you booked your cruise prior to May 17, you are grandfathered in.

If that doesn't work call the Offices of Executive Customer Services at 1-888-767-4644 and speak to them about it.

Talk to your TA again and even call Royal yourself if you have to. I talked to Royal and went over this exact thing twice with 2 different departments so there would be no confusion ......I was told that all clients that booked prior to May 17th are grandfathered and protected.

I was checking my next cruise for a price drop on May 29th, like I always do about once a month, when I noticed a $450 decrease in price for a "special sale" for the same category room we have booked. I called RCI who first told me they could not honor the price drop because it was for new bookings only (it was the memorial day sale that I had ignored).

I asked to cancel and rebook the cruise and she said they couldn't do that, something about a report that would catch it. Frustrated and very upset that RCI would sit on my deposit all these months, that they would treat a loyal diamond level member this way, yet they'll offer a new price to anyone off the street, I asked her to just cancel the cruise or escalate the matter to a supervisor.

After a period of time, she came back and RCI canceled and rebooked the cruise to the same aft corner room that I had. This is the customer service that I expect and usually receive from RCI, and I am very pleased.

So it worked for me this time because I booked before May 17th (15th?) but now it doesn't? Where have they indicated this in writing?

I was checking my next cruise for a price drop on May 29th, like I always do about once a month, when I noticed a $450 decrease in price for a "special sale" for the same category room we have booked. I called RCI who first told me they could not honor the price drop because it was for new bookings only (it was the memorial day sale that I had ignored).

I asked to cancel and rebook the cruise and she said they couldn't do that, something about a report that would catch it. Frustrated and very upset that RCI would sit on my deposit all these months, that they would treat a loyal diamond level member this way, yet they'll offer a new price to anyone off the street, I asked her to just cancel the cruise or escalate the matter to a supervisor.

After a period of time, she came back and RCI canceled and rebooked the cruise to the same aft corner room that I had. This is the customer service that I expect and usually receive from RCI, and I am very pleased.

So it worked for me this time because I booked before May 17th (15th?) but now it doesn't? Where have they indicated this in writing?

If you had a cruise booked prior to May 17th then you were grandfathered in for any/all price drops up to 72 hours prior to sailing.

However, if that cruise that you just canceled and rebooked was the cruise you booked prior to May 17 in order to take advantage of a price drop..........then I believe you now fall under the New Best Price Guarantee Program and will only get price reductions up until final payment.

You may want to read this Update: Royal Caribbean's New Best Price Guarantee: Your Questions Answered

Talk to your TA again and even call Royal yourself if you have to. I talked to Royal and went over this exact thing twice with 2 different departments so there would be no confusion ......I was told that all clients that booked prior to May 17th are grandfathered and protected.

Is it possible that it was special pricing for that Memorial Day Sale?:o I didn't think about that. I printed out the Royal Caribbean FAQ's on May 18, that specifically state that the new policy only applies to new individual reservations made as of May 17, 2010. I don't know if I'll need it, but I have it. :)

EDIT: I see flacruiser posted about the sale. EDIT, EDIT: Oh. Yes if it was cancelled & rebooked, I guess it now falls under the new policy. No price drops after final payment...but on the other hand $450 savings is nice. :-)

That is the problem....it isn't in writing anywhere...it's just what we have been told.

It is in writing Steve, it is in the FAQ's on the Royal Caribbean website. Just type in Best Price Guarantee...which reservations are eligible?

And as additional insurance, also make a copy of the Sept. 22, 2009 policy. I think Patti (cf) has a link to it. :D:):D

Archived