safety on cruise ships

Has anyone experienced an unsafe of frightening incident while walking in the corridors among the cabins?

No, except maybe that woman in curlers. :eek:

Just people who are walking like they are drunk because of the rocking and rolling seas. It sure looks and feels strange.

I felt very safe on the Infinity. The crew are so pleasant and polite. The cruise seemed to be very family oriented.

I was really sea sick once when the ship was rocking and rolling. I needed to make it back to my room and was behind this elderly gentleman that was using the handrails both sides of the hall to keep his balance. There was almost going to be an accident if he didn't move to one side....and I mean, it would have been down his back.

I made it to the room without 1 extra second to spare. Just of note, there were sea sickness bags all over the place, I mean used.

Since I had nothing left in me, I was hungry and wanted to get something in my stomach to settle it a bit and there were only 7 people in the entire dining room....so I digress.....

Getting back to your question, yes, there was almost a very scarey incident in the corridor on a ship long long ago.

Thanks for the replies. I'm asking because I'm trying to determine how much freedom I should give my 16 yr old grandaughter. I don't wasnt to treat her like a baby nor do I want to put her in high risk situations. In my grandmotherly mind, it woud be extremely easy for someone to open a cabin door and drag her inside in an instant. Maybe just paranoia but I am sure that crimes happen when several thousand people are together. Without the evening new and newspapers its difficult to learn about undesirable events.

Marcia

As long as she has some rules, she'll be fine. Just make sure that she knows not to enter any cabin other than hers, she stays away from any flirty crew members and that she has a curfew and you shouldn't have a problem. But, there have been incidents of teen girls being taken advantage of, so you can't be too careful.

78232, I have never experienced any uncomfortable moments on any of my cruises, however, never feel paranoid for caring enough to keep her safe. My only child, a daughter, is now 23 years old, & I am still overly protective, even now. At first, her & her friends found me somewhat over the top. Now, she thanks me for caring enough to worry so much. She told me recently; I'm just Lucky to have a Mom who bothers me much. I'm sure your Granddaughter will feel the same one day. Enjoy your cruise, and the time you spend with her.

Thanks for the replies. I'm asking because I'm trying to determine how much freedom I should give my 16 yr old grandaughter.
I hope she can find some friends near her own age to hang around with. If she is in a group, you can worry less and she might enjoy a bit more freedom. It's just for this reason the ships usually have teen activities planned.

Thanks for the replies. I'm asking because I'm trying to determine how much freedom I should give my 16 yr old grandaughter. I don't wasnt to treat her like a baby nor do I want to put her in high risk situations. In my grandmotherly mind, it woud be extremely easy for someone to open a cabin door and drag her inside in an instant. Maybe just paranoia but I am sure that crimes happen when several thousand people are together. Without the evening new and newspapers its difficult to learn about undesirable events.

Marcia

You are right to ask. The ship is, a small city and yes there may be some not so nice folks onboard. She should not walk around onboard at night, alone. Once she makes a few friends she should buddy up and if hanging out a little later, have someone walk with her to her cabin. When our daughter was 16 she was allowed out until 1am, only because the teen disco started at 12am (grrr). She befriended many other teens and they hung out as a group. If she had no one to walk her back, we would meet her. Tell her no matter how nice her new friends seem to be never go into someone elses cabin.

Our daughter was upon on a Celebrity ship, approched by a crew member at LUNCH in the dining area and he started asking her questions about how old she was, etc. Be sure she has a way to contact you (leave notes in cabin, etc)and make her check in from time to time if she is with friends.

This site is not to scare you but to inform you. :)

http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/

You are right to ask. The ship is, a small city and yes there may be some not so nice folks onboard. She should not walk around onboard at night, alone. Once she makes a few friends she should buddy up and if hanging out a little later, have someone walk with her to her cabin. When our daughter was 16 she was allowed out until 1am, only because the teen disco started at 12am (grrr). She befriended many other teens and they hung out as a group. If she had no one to walk her back, we would meet her. Tell her no matter how nice her new friends seem to be never go into someone elses cabin.

Our daughter was upon on a Celebrity ship, approched by a crew member at LUNCH in the dining area and he started asking her questions about how old she was, etc. Be sure she has a way to contact you (leave notes in cabin, etc)and make her check in from time to time if she is with friends.

This site is not to scare you but to inform you. :)

http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/

http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/LatestMemberStories/My_Innocent_Teenage_Daughter.html

I work in a profession that makes me privy to cruise ship crime. Unfortunately, there are things that happen that most people never hear of. However, the vast majority of it is preventable and usually induced by stupidity, like over consumption of alcohol.

As for your 16 year old walking the ship alone, she is very safe. That being said, use common sense. She is safe at most hours. Don't have her wandering around alone at bar closing time.

Also, the cruise line makes a difference also. Celebrity is a relatively safe cruise line. There are other lines, one in particular, that has a much higher crime rate.

The vast majority of instances onboard is small, however they happen on every cruiseline and Celebrity would be no safer than other lines. People are people. :)

The only time my dd was "hit on" by a "cruise employee" at the age of 15, was on the Celebrity Century. She is now 22.

Everyone has their own comfort zone. Personally, I would not hesitate to let my granddaughter go about the ship. If you want to feel more secure, late at night you might have her carry a small whistle, but otherwise not worry about it at all. The fact is, predators can find their prey without having to spend lots of money to go on a cruise ship.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Thanks for bringing up this subject. We, too, will be traveling with our 14 year old granddaughter and I had concerns regarding her being away from us on her own. I don't want to tie her to us with a rope, but I also want to feel reassured that she would be safe in the event she wanted to leave us for a period of time to be on her own. I don't know that she will, but I don't want to feel anxious if she does. I don't think I would allow her to be out on her own after a certain hour or if we have gone back to our cabin for the night. She is a level headed girl and knows not to enter a cabin, etc. We will have to trust her good judgment to a certain extent.

As a parent of two daughters (both in their 20s now), I appreciate and concur with your concern. If I had a 16 year old granddaughter with me on a cruise, I would probably not want her in the corridors alone late in the evening. I have always felt the same way about hotels, and in my mind a cruise ship is pretty much a floating hotel.

Hopefully your granddaughter will make friends. I believe there is safety in numbers.

Archived