Personal extension cords now forbidden

mangetakk

In the interim, I would suppose that we ignore your posts visa-vis Celebrity. By the way, if it is a fine cruise, will you compliment same?

There is no bad cruise. Any cruise is better than not being on one. I have been on 3 cruise lines so far and expect another great cruise

I was trying to use that bad word in a sentence like they do in English class. Anyway I do not do reviews. I would spend my time cruising saying what should I write about this what should I write about that.

I have to have a special extension cord for my scooter. If they don't allow this, they're going to have one very angry passenger on their hands. Many scooters cannot use just regular extension cords for their chargers. I hope they understand this.

I wonder why, after all these years, they're getting all ferklempt on this issue?

Hi Darcie !

It's a good question. When I rent Scooters for my parents, we are specifically told to bring a Heavy Duty Extension Cord with us. Now, I'm not sure what to do. I will call the Special Needs department tomorrow, and ask for their guidance. I will be happy to post their reply.

Hi Darcie !

It's a good question. When I rent Scooters for my parents, we are specifically told to bring a Heavy Duty Extension Cord with us. Now, I'm not sure what to do. I will call the Special Needs department tomorrow, and ask for their guidance. I will be happy to post their reply.

Thank you Andy. I had the misfortune to have brought the wrong extension cord for my scooter charger one time, and it ruined the batteries. Those things can be very cranky and I'm not going to mess up a $1400 scooter because a cruise line has some kind of problem with extension cords.

We "JUST" finished putting our luggage in the car, because we are leaving as soon as DH can get off of work tomorrow afternoon. And, yes we did pack a small power strip in our luggage. I am packing 3 sets of luggage as we are driving from Maryland to Pensacola to spend 5 days with our DD and her family first and then bringing DGD and DGS to cruise with us. I have a small bag for staying overnight on way to Florida, I have a suitcase for staying in Pensacola and then some of that will go with us as we are going to FT. L. 3 days ahead of cruise, and then the luggage for the cruise that I am NOT opening until we are on the ship. So I am not opening it 'just' to take the power strip out - they can do it!:mad:

If they gave us enough outlets we would not have to bring the stupid things to start with!

If Celebrity were not permitting power strips and extension cords...wouldn't you think they would list it on their web site? :rolleyes: I just checked and here is their CURRENT listing:

[B]What not to Pack [/b]

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

• *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

• Illegal Drugs & Substances

• Candles & Incense

• Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

• Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

• Skateboards & Surfboards

• Martial Arts Gear

• Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

• Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

• HAM Radios

• Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

• **Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

Oh well! There goes our fun - No whips, chains, or handcuffs!! DH will be SO disappointed!:rolleyes:

Oh well! There goes our fun - No whips, chains, or handcuffs!! DH will be SO disappointed!:rolleyes:

Don't be disheartened. =X= does make exceptions sometimes.

On a couple of our cruises the War Department (aka Mrs. B) elected to bring her complete collection of autographed hockey sticks from the Botston Bruins in lieu of her collection of custom engraved manhole covers.

This collection is quite extensive with an autographed hockey stick from every player who ever played for the Boston team. The collection was started by The Dragon Lady (aka Mrs. B's mother) sometime around 1865. In view of the emotional signifigance attached to this collection, Celebrity has always granted permission for us to bring this aboard with us.

:D:D:D

As I read this thread, I find myself wondering about electricity usage on the ship. I am, by no means, an electrical expert, especially on the production of electricity on a cruise ship. (What, there isn't an extension cord to Miami?) Is it possible that Celebrity is trying to cut down on the demand for electricity? Those generators can only produce so much at a time. It used to be that the average passenger needed to plug in a hair dryer, curling iron, or an electric razor (and there are special outlets for that) or maybe a camera charger. Now a lot of passengers (and I include myself in this) travel with a number of items which need charging or additional power to operate: camera, computer, cell phone, MP3 player, portable GPS (Ok, I don't bring this), Kindle, etc. Many travel hair dryers are in the 1600-1800 watt range which is much higher than they were several years ago. Individually, these items don't use much electricity, but combine several of these, plugged in or being used at one time per cabin, and multiply that by the number of cabins. That is an additional drain on the ship's electrity production, as well as potential fire hazard by overloading the outlets in a cabin.

I would be curious to hear from those of you who do have some knowledge of how a ship's electrical system operates if this is a reasonable assumption.

We are just back from a Mariner of the Seas cruise on Royal Caribbean and my power strip was taken from me also. I had no idea this was on the forbidden list now as I have taken it before.

They pulled me over upon security check when they scanned my carry on. I was able to retrieve it after the cruise. They called several people asking about it and one said it was okay another said no, so they kept it.

We made it just fine anyway.

Our next cruise is on Celebrity, and now I know not to take the power strip any longer. It is not very fun to be taken to the naughty area at all.

I just bring a screwdriver and some bits and pieces from home and make my own cabin extensions as I need them

temp_wiring01.jpg

I used to use this one but something bad happened to it when I ran a filter pump for my inflatable balcony pool on a recent Princess cruise with Derf. (Hey Derf! Can you send me my fishing rod back?)

6gifsi.jpg

We "JUST" finished putting our luggage in the car, because we are leaving as soon as DH can get off of work tomorrow afternoon. And, yes we did pack a small power strip in our luggage. I am packing 3 sets of luggage as we are driving from Maryland to Pensacola to spend 5 days with our DD and her family first and then bringing DGD and DGS to cruise with us. I have a small bag for staying overnight on way to Florida, I have a suitcase for staying in Pensacola and then some of that will go with us as we are going to FT. L. 3 days ahead of cruise, and then the luggage for the cruise that I am NOT opening until we are on the ship. So I am not opening it 'just' to take the power strip out - they can do it!:mad:

If they gave us enough outlets we would not have to bring the stupid things to start with!

Maybe they limited the number of outlets for a reason...just like they say not to plug in anything other than a shaver in the bathroom outlet.

As I read this thread, I find myself wondering about electricity usage on the ship. I am, by no means, an electrical expert, especially on the production of electricity on a cruise ship. (What, there isn't an extension cord to Miami?) Is it possible that Celebrity is trying to cut down on the demand for electricity? Those generators can only produce so much at a time. It used to be that the average passenger needed to plug in a hair dryer, curling iron, or an electric razor (and there are special outlets for that) or maybe a camera charger. Now a lot of passengers (and I include myself in this) travel with a number of items which need charging or additional power to operate: camera, computer, cell phone, MP3 player, portable GPS (Ok, I don't bring this), Kindle, etc. Many travel hair dryers are in the 1600-1800 watt range which is much higher than they were several years ago. Individually, these items don't use much electricity, but combine several of these, plugged in or being used at one time per cabin, and multiply that by the number of cabins. That is an additional drain on the ship's electrity production, as well as potential fire hazard by overloading the outlets in a cabin.

I would be curious to hear from those of you who do have some knowledge of how a ship's electrical system operates if this is a reasonable assumption.

The age of the ship has a lot to do with it's ability to handle hotel loads. Generally the older the ship, the less amperage allocated per cabin. As to fuses/circuit breakers: they are there to protect the ships wiring from overheating. When you add an extension cord or a powerstrip/multi-outlet you have to ensure that it's rated for the same (or higher) current as the ships wiring, and/or that the added device has an appropriate inline protective device.

<speculation>This particular Captain/Engineer may have found one too many substandard devices attached to his ships outlets and simply doesn't have the appropriately trained manpower available to inspect each device being brought aboard.</speculation>

Here is my list

0. GPS charger - Have you forgotten you are on a ship?

1. laptop - My DW thinks I spend too much time on the pc at home.

2. still camera - maybe you need to invest in a second battery.

3. toothbrushes (2) - my dentist thinks these should be banned.

4. video camera - buy a new still camera with video built in.

5. fan - try cruising in a cooler climate if heat upsets you.

6. noise machine - no idea what this is.

7. PDA - ditto

8. cell phones (2) - Hmmm.

9. crok pot - another one I don't know about.

10. Alarm clock - I take one with a battery

11. Chanukkah tree lights - No comment.

;):confused::rolleyes:

Need about 14 outlets

I am clearly living too sheltered a life, I hardly travel with any of the above, and some I do not even recognise.

However I always have a cell phone and a digital camera, and my DW takes a hot brush as well as using the hair dryer; and we never have a problem with too few sockets.

Am I not using my cell phone enough, or maybe not taking sufficient photo's, and perhaps my DW should be washing her hair more frequently.

As Yul Brynner (in the King and I) might say "It's a puzzlement".

We're cuurently on the Millie, traveling Vancouver to Seward. On departure, one bag didn't make it through the Celebrity security. Had to go to security to retreive it and was told that I can no longer bring my own extension cord for my CPAP / phone / computer. They confiscated my cord, said that they would return it on departure, and provided a ship provided cord with a single tap. I understand the fire concerns of an inadequate extension cord. Mine was certainily as good or better than the one the ship provided. The front line security did recognize that my cord was high quality and did make a call to a security supervisor, who would not take the time to look at my cord, and insisted that I use the ship provided cord. So just be aware that personal extension cords and power strips are newly added to the Celebrity forbidden list.

(I realize you are in transit, but...) Why would you say "newly added to the Celebrity forbidden list", instead of "newly added to the Millie forbidden list"? Were you specifically told by the crew that this was going to be fleet-wide?

Thanks.

[B]What not to Pack [/b]

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

• *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

• Illegal Drugs & Substances

• Candles & Incense

• Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

• Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

• Skateboards & Surfboards

• Martial Arts Gear

• Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

• Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

• HAM Radios

• Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

• **Alcoholic Beverages

Emphasis in the above quote is mine. They don't necessarily have to list exactly what they do and do not consider unacceptable.

From some other posts, it sounds like extension cords are a legitimate concern for the cruise line, both in terms of a possible fire hazard and in the need to limit the total electric load. Still, a better way to handle this is to spell it out and include them in on the line with coffee makers, irons and hot plates (and I notice it says nothing about croc/crok/alli/crock pots, either). Exceptions should be made for those like kitty9 who have medical need for a heavy duty cord for a mobility device, or other similar circumstances.

Derf, you're a hoot!

AMEN!! Whoever designs the electrical outlet portion of the typical ship cabin should have their head examined! I was just on Seabourn, and I kid you not, we had ONE single outlet in our entire cabin!!! No joke! If the cruise lines want to get nasty about confiscating our power strips/extension cords, then they should get to Ace Hardware post haste and install a decent amount of outlets in all cabins. Just my two cents!

AMEN!! Whoever designs the electrical outlet portion of the typical ship cabin should have their head examined! I was just on Seabourn, and I kid you not, we had ONE single outlet in our entire cabin!!! No joke! If the cruise lines want to get nasty about confiscating our power strips/extension cords, then they should get to Ace Hardware post haste and install a decent amount of outlets in all cabins. Just my two cents!

I've asked this question earlier in the thread but did not get an answer

Does the ship store sell extension cords?

5. fan - try cruising in a cooler climate if heat upsets you.

At this stage in my life my climate travels with me everywhere I go (ask your wife, whe'll understand);) I'll get a Dr.'s note for the fan & cord that goes with it.

I'm glad the PH suites have plenty of plugs. I'll end up returning the nifty travel-sized power strip I found at The Container Store.

I wonder what they're gonna say when they come across my electric turkey roaster, and all the accompanying turkey day stuff; do you think they'll let me bring a frozen turkey on board?????

At this stage in my life my climate travels with me everywhere I go (ask your wife, whe'll understand);) I'll get a Dr.'s note for the fan & cord that goes with it.

LOLlol...not laughing at you...just with you and I am sorry for your suffering, this coming from a man.:D

I suspect that the real issue may not be the use of electricity but rather the condition of those extension cords. They can be good quality. They can also be damaged, faulty etc. which could lead to a fire hazard. Celebrity cannot be expected to examine each and every cord that passengers want to bring on board. I doubt that the staff that check for these items do not have the expertise to determine what is safe and what is not. Perhaps Celebrity should consider have a supply of 'approved' cords on hand for those who need them.

If Celebrity are banning what [i believe Americans call] "power strips", it is further disadvantage for UK travellers. I carry a light-weight 4-way lead so that I do not have to carry multiple UK/US adaptors. Also, as I do not trust any power supply, multiple surge protectors. I have yet to find an adaptor that seems as robust and safe as a good, solid power strip. I cannot see that use of multiple adaptors is a good idea. It also needs to be remembered that European cameras, laptops, mobile phones, etc take longer to charge because they are designed to use twice the voltage.

Sue

Don't be disheartened. =X= does make exceptions sometimes.

On a couple of our cruises the War Department (aka Mrs. B) elected to bring her complete collection of autographed hockey sticks from the Botston Bruins in lieu of her collection of custom engraved manhole covers.

This collection is quite extensive with an autographed hockey stick from every player who ever played for the Boston team. The collection was started by The Dragon Lady (aka Mrs. B's mother) sometime around 1865. In view of the emotional signifigance attached to this collection, Celebrity has always granted permission for us to bring this aboard with us.

:D:D:D

TOOO funny :D

And I thought calling the DW a "battle ax" was bad :eek:

... It also needs to be remembered that European cameras, laptops, mobile phones, etc take longer to charge because they are designed to use twice the voltage.

No, they don't. The switching power supplies inside these chargers work equally well under 110 and 240, because of the nature of how they work. Claiming they provide less current under 110 is a ridiculous assumption.

If you'd like I could go into a long drawn out discussion on how the input voltage is rectified into a high voltage DC, and then switched at high frequency through a small transformer, all the while the output voltage controlling the mark/space ratio of the initial switching via optical isolation, but I'm sure you'd find it quite boring.

OK, that's it, I finally broke down and I'm going to write something;

Get over it folks, Celebrity (and most other cruise lines) are likely fed up with the small electrical fires that are being caused by dollar store power bars.

We bring with us;

• a laptop
  • a camera
  • a AA battery charger (for things like hand held GPS)
  • ipod/iphone
  • a shaver

None of which takes particularly long to recharge, or needs recharging very often. The extra effort of having to unplug one thing to plug in another has never been such an onerous task that I've ever even considered bringing a power bar.

And lastly, if anyone tries the "but my power bar is surge protected" crap and I dont trust the ships power, I'll have to have another long rant about how people really don't understand how electricity works.

Lastly, that outlet in the bathroom marked "SHAVER ONLY". Yes, it's shaver only, it's only capable of giving you about 1/2 amp at 110v, so please don't plug a hairdryer in there. It's a special outlet through an isolation transformer, so that either of outputs has no particular path to ship ground, and is safer than a normal outlet where Neutral really is ground, and if you touched a live, you'd be the return path.

Archived