Canvas bags provided by Princess?

pms4104

HAL pays nearly $3.00 per canvas bag made in China.

They are too small to carry very much.

Princess carried over 1 million passengers last year.

They had the choice to spend $3 million on free canvas bags that are too small - or have the passengers spend $10 million buying tote bags in the onboard shops.

I wonder what possessed them to make such a foolish choice?

I do understand your point about $3 mil spent vs. $10 mil in shop sales ... just surprised at HAL's cost. Considering the massive quantity HAL supplies annually to passengers, I would think they would be getting a better price than $3 per.:confused:

Could have been a TA or group promo.
No, everyone got them. After reading all the comments I'm wondering if Princess gives them out on longer cruises. We got ours on a 14 day. The next two cruises were 7 days. BTW, the CD on the Star was Richard Joseph and he mentioned you (very nice comments) to our CC Meet and Greet.

I was on a 15 day cruise, but in 2005, and didn't get any bag. But I imagine if a travel agent wants to do something for clients on a cruise, and wants to give something other than a bottle of wine, maybe buying up a batch of Princess bags would be nice. But the TA would probably leave a note that it's a gift from him/her.

The picture of the guy onboard Princess wearing his Holland America shirt is a riot. I always get a kick out of folks who do this. And, you can find it any which way on any given line [the Carnival shirt onboard Celebrity and the Princess shirt onboard NCL and so on]......It always makes me laugh!

I'm still using my blue bag that we got onboard the Celebrity Summit 5 years ago.

And, I always use my shoulder bag [that I bought in a Princess gift shop years ago.] I use it to carry my passport and cruise pass upon boarding. I sling it across my chest, it has velcro closures and makes boarding and going out on excursions so much easier!

No, everyone got them.

Yes, we got one as well on that cruise. It was/is large enough to carry a couple of beach towels and few things ashore and once ashore you sure knew who was from the Grand. On re-boarding, I wondered how many got mixed up at secruity.:)

was going to pack our Holland America travel coffee cups for our next Princess trip, just because I like them so much - not because I liked Holland that much. Maybe I shouldn't??

Go ahead and bring them. No one really cares. If you really like them and they are convenient then bring them. I have a really nice Holland America bag that is nice and big with a zipper that I use for a beach bag. It fits both beach towels, my sunscreen, purse and bottles of water and has two nice long straps that do not hurt my shoulder and I bring it on each Princess cruise. We are true Princess fans but I am not ashamed of bringing something that is convenient to me. So bring those cups and use them with pride! :D

we got a really nice big Princess bag in our room on our Panama Canal cruise in Feb. It was great to carry all our stuff on the plane. We were in a mini-suite so I do not know if everyone on the ship got one but it certainly was a nice touch!:D

We were in an inside room in January and we got the bag.

Darlene

No, everyone got them. After reading all the comments I'm wondering if Princess gives them out on longer cruises. We got ours on a 14 day.

Hmm, interesting. I have been on 21 Princess cruises (some as long as 18 days) and have never received a free bag in my cabin. I must be doing something wrong. :confused:

Hmm' date=' interesting. I have been on 21 Princess cruises (some as long as 18 days) and have never received a free bag in my cabin. I must be doing something wrong. :confused:[/quote']

There are two bags in question. One a solid blue fiber bag that has the Princess logo silkscreened on both sides. If you look on the bottom you will find a small tag that says 99 cents. We have all sorts of these that are great for grocery shopping (except it provokes questions about your cruise from cashiers with subsequent longer lines...) The other bags we received while full suite guests is of a woven material and has small multiple Princess logos not unlike the Louie Vuitton style but only 1/5000th of the cost...

No, everyone got them. After reading all the comments I'm wondering if Princess gives them out on longer cruises. We got ours on a 14 day. The next two cruises were 7 days. BTW, the CD on the Star was Richard Joseph and he mentioned you (very nice comments) to our CC Meet and Greet.

A perfect gentleman! :)

Hmm' date=' interesting. I have been on 21 Princess cruises (some as long as 18 days) and have never received a free bag in my cabin. I must be doing something wrong. :confused:[/quote']This last one was our 22nd and only once got a bag. You need to do one more cruise.:)

A perfect gentleman! :)
And from a little town in Connecticut about an hour from us. We almost died when he said where he was from.

We were on a b2b on Crown and every cabin on the ship got the large blue bag.I just can't remember which cruise got us the bag.

Every cabin on the 1/30/10 Crown cruise got one too, but we didn't get any on the Ruby cruises we were also on in January 2010.

we have been on 7 princess cruises. Never got a bag or anything free for that matter.

We dont even get luggage tags anymore! Have to print our own!!

We did celebrity for the first time last year and got a very nice bag and preprinted luggage tags.

We won 2 Dam caps and I'll never be able to wear them. I don't plan on cruising with them again and around town they would think I was swearing! :D

My favorite totes were similar to the ones from Land's End but had a plastic bottom sewn on. You could put in down on something wet and nothing inside was damaged. Wet towels on the inside did not transfer if you put in on the bed. Can't find them anywhere now.

We've never gotten a Princess bag as a gift, but my QE2 bag is enormous......too

awkward to even use. I could almost pack for a cruise in it.

I wish trivia still gave out the good gifts......umbrellas, clocks, etc.

Every cabin on the 1/30/10 Crown cruise got one too, but we didn't get any on the Ruby cruises we were also on in January 2010.

No such giveaway on the Emerald in December or the Ocean in February.

Archived