Coco Cay - Is it worth it?

jhaasz

We are a family (mid-40's with a child in her teens and my mom in her 60's) traveling on FOS. My question is, I have never been to Coco Cay and, can someone tell me, in all honesty, if it is worth getting off the ship? I have been to Labadee (to be honest, totally skippable) and to Princess' private island (lovely).

We don't plan on doing any excursions - just going to the beach. We don't snorkel or anything else - just sit in the sun and swim in the ocean.

The reason for my question? My daughter is willing to go to the beach only once (called a compromise) and I really want to go to Orient Beach in St. Maarten (we had a blast last time and the beach was gorgeous).

To be honest, I'm happy sitting at the pool (alone, for the most part while other passengers are on the island), but if the island is that beautiful, I would love to go.

Advice/opinions, please? Many thanks.

but if the island is that beautiful, I would love to go.

It really depends on what you consider "worth it" I guess.

It is a nice place and I was glad I got off the Monarch if for no other reason than to see it and take pics...I enjoyed it MUCH better than Nassau.........The beaches are beautiful and the island is very nice. They also have a mini straw market if thats your thing.

They do a big BBQ during lunch too.............It is totally outside and a lot of flies though. I also seen people fighting off the seagulls from taking their food LOL.

Yes--it's TOTALLY worth it, if you like the beach! All we do is sun, swim, drink and eat...we don't do any "excursions" as this day is included in the price of your fare...why pay them more?

If you want to stay on the ship, it will be almost empty...and that's nice, too! Either way, consider Coco Cay or Labadee a 'sea day', on land!

Ok, this statement may come back to haunt me in a couple of years when my oldest IS a teen -- however, when the vacation has been bought and paid for by you, then why do you need to compromise with your child?

My daughter is willing to go to the beach only once (called a compromise)

If you want to go to the beach more than once and you paid for the beach, then you go to the beach. ;) I love CocoCay and can't wait to get back. The minute my kids start trying to play let's make a deal with our vacations is the second that I start making them pay for their own vacations. :p

Ok, this statement may come back to haunt me in a couple of years when my oldest IS a teen -- however, when the vacation has been bought and paid for by you, then why do you need to compromise with your child?

If you want to go to the beach more than once and you paid for the beach, then you go to the beach. ;) I love CocoCay and can't wait to get back. The minute my kids start trying to play let's make a deal with our vacations is the second that I start making them pay for their own vacations. :p

Indeed! Or... leave them at home!

Thank you so much! You said what came to my mind but in a much nicer way.

I like Cococay better than Labadee, but if you didn't care for Labadee, I don't think anything would excite you more at Cococay.

I like Cococay better because it has a cleaner beach appearance to me. (More sandy beaches, less vegetation & rock)

I have been to Labadee (to be honest, totally skippable) and to Princess' private island (lovely).

You haven't been to Labadee lately. When you get the chance, give it a try. New pier, no more tendering. Major renovations.

R&D

I think that's completely mind boggling to go on a cruise and NOT get off at all ports. I guess if there was a port I didn't want to do, I wouldn't book that itinerary.

*shrugs*

Some people actually like being on the ship, especially on these private island, "port days". The ship is less crowded, spa services are discounted, and the food is better on the ship.

Or leave them at home? I totally agree with your sentiment. :)

Love CocoCay. Can't even tell you how many times we have been there and I never get tired of it. We have our little "spot" were we always sit so DH gets his shade and I have sun all day. Beach is gorgeous, I take long walks down to the point. I like it much better than Labadee. just always have enjoyed it.

Love Orient also and plan to go there off Freedom also, but like others have said, I would NEVER give up a beach day to lay at the pool! nothing like laying on a beautiful beach and enjoying the sun/sand/and people watching. Can't wait to go!!

I enjoyed Cococay when I went. there's a little bit of something for everyone whether you want to shop or drink, sit in the sun, take a nature walk, sit in a hammock, eat your lunch at a picnic table or in a private spot somewhere.

To me, it was beautiful and relaxing. They have a variety of activities available.

So you can do nothing or anything.. also, the tender to and from the ship doesnt take that long.

My suggestion would be to give it a try, if you don't like it, you don't lose any money and you can get back to the ship quick enough.

Another thing to consider is that sometimes the ships aren't able to tender due to weather. There's always a possibility you might not be able to get there, so you might want to keep that in mind.

Another suggestion is, go on youtube and look at some of the different videos. That will give you an idea of what it is like.

I hope you enjoy!

Happy Cruising!!!

This is a strange question, but here's my advice. Go to the island, and take a look at the beach. If you don't like it, head back to the ship. If you like it stay. If one person likes it and another doesn't....no big deal....some can head back to the ship, while the others stay and enjoy the beach.

I know this seems like common sense, which is why the question sounds so unusual, but that's what I recommend.

We are a family (mid-40's with a child in her teens and my mom in her 60's) traveling on FOS. My question is, I have never been to Coco Cay and, can someone tell me, in all honesty, if it is worth getting off the ship? I have been to Labadee (to be honest, totally skippable) and to Princess' private island (lovely).

The reason for my question? My daughter is willing to go to the beach only once (called a compromise) and I really want to go to Orient Beach in St. Maarten (we had a blast last time and the beach was gorgeous).

Coco Cay is so much nicer than Labadee unless RCCl has gone and hosed it all up. Labadee used to be a beautiful place to stop and enjoy a natural environment. NOT ANYMORE! I could care less about the place now that they “fixed” it. I hope they leave Coco Cay alone.

Your teenage daughter dictates where you go? Wow, glad I’m not you. Teenagers are tough enough when you attempt to control them. Letting them control your agenda is probably like some show on MTV where they whine, bitch, and complain, as you pull out your credit card to satisfy their whims. Good Luck!

Leave her on the ship? Or if you're not comfortable with that, then in the stateroom?

This was my thought exactly!

Sure would like to hear (from the OP) why they have to compromise with their teenaged daughter. Unless she is physically or mentally disadvantaged, I just don't get it.

We think alike Michelle!

Archived