Breakfast in the Pinnacle

Crazy Gramps

Willsot, we are right there with ya! (first veranda deluxe suite) This might be the only time that we take the bite and book a full suite, so we want to take advantage of every perk (of which, HAL has a lot). If we can't eat in the PG the first morning after boarding, we will ofc be disappointed -- but it won't ruin our cruise. I am just hoping this Noro thing is under control by next year.

Yep. Sure. We said the same thing, and actually meant it too... :o

Willsot, we are right there with ya! (first veranda deluxe suite) This might be the only time that we take the bite and book a full suite, so we want to take advantage of every perk (of which, HAL has a lot). If we can't eat in the PG the first morning after boarding, we will ofc be disappointed -- but it won't ruin our cruise. I am just hoping this Noro thing is under control by next year.

Don't count on it. Noro is established in the human population, so there will always be a risk of it whenever people are packed together in one place.

The health form they make you sign is a waste of paper. Nobody is going to check "yes" on any of the questions for fear of being denied boarding or being confined to a cabin. So anyone who has been feeling sick will lie.

The "soft code red" or whatever HAL calls the first two days is the best preventive measure they can do. It keeps passengers' hands away from food and serving utensils until the staff can be pretty sure that nobody has carried the virus on board. It's a nuisance for Lido diners because it really slows things down, but if it helps avoid a Noro outbreak, I'll stand around and wait for someone to hand me my glass of OJ.

I've had Noro and it's no fun. I know how I got it. On a cruise, they served bar mix in little glass carafes. You could pour some into your hand and eat it from your hand. Nobody could reach in and touch the contents as they picked out the bits they liked. BUT everyone touches the outside of the carafe. All four of us got Noro. We took it in turns, with DH starting on disembarkation day, then me, then our friends. We all had eaten different foods, but the one thing we had in common was the bar mix. The next time we were on that ship, the waiter set down a carafe of bar mix as he took drink orders. We all looked at it and laughed. And none of us touched it.

I've had Noro and it's no fun. I know how I got it. On a cruise, they served bar mix in little glass carafes. You could pour some into your hand and eat it from your hand. Nobody could reach in and touch the contents as they picked out the bits they liked. BUT everyone touches the outside of the carafe. All four of us got Noro. We took it in turns, with DH starting on disembarkation day, then me, then our friends. We all had eaten different foods, but the one thing we had in common was the bar mix. The next time we were on that ship, the waiter set down a carafe of bar mix as he took drink orders. We all looked at it and laughed. And none of us touched it.

I've actually seen one person pour it out on their hand, picked what they liked, then put the rest back:eek:. Then he went on to tell us how his wife was sick but they weren't telling anyone because it was near the end of the cruise and she didn't want to be confined to the cabin. It's people like this that don't help the cause.

I've actually seen one person pour it out on their hand, picked what they liked, then put the rest back:eek:. Then he went on to tell us how his wife was sick but they weren't telling anyone because it was near the end of the cruise and she didn't want to be confined to the cabin. It's people like this that don't help the cause.

Euwwwwwwwwww! How gross!!!!

That is just not ok...:(

LOL Maxout! I remember that epi

Thanks for the tip about cash exchange, kazu. Putting it on my list! I really have no idea what concierges do, I used one once at the resort we were at, but it seemed like I could have made that reservation myself :P

Yep. Sure. We said the same thing, and actually meant it too... :o

hehe ;)

3rdgen, well maybe they will figure out a different way of getting the lido staffed? A girl can dream, can't she? :P

3rdgen, well maybe they will figure out a different way of getting the lido staffed? A girl can dream, can't she? :P

I hope so. We booked a SC guarantee for our Sept Alaska cruise, and the "exclusive" breakfast was one of the reasons we chose that level. I am not a morning person, and my past experiences with MDR breakfasts has not been good. Even more than dinner, breakfast is the meal for which I like good service and quiet surroundings.

We're doing the last Alaska on the Zuiderdam and tacking on the three days to San Francisco. So it looks like the first two days of the 7 day cruise and the first two days of the 3-day segment will not be suite breakfast service days. If that happens, I will not be happy about it. I hope that our weather will be good enough for us to have breakfast on the verandah, but in late Sept, I'm not betting on it. And, yes, if they don't provide the suite breakfast, I'll talk to the restaurant manager or hotel manager and find out what's going on. (And, no, I won't ask for a refund, OBC, etc.)

Here's one worse.

I saw a woman wet her finger by licking it, then stick her wetted-finger into the the little glass carafe to get out the nut she wanted.

Do any of you know how to post a poll? I don't know how complex they are able to be, but it might be interesting to see:

Have you cruised in a HAL suite:

Yes

Not yet, but have one booked

No, Only Suite Dreams so far

Indicate (2? 3?) most important perks

List of perks from HAL site

Indicate (2? 3?) least important perks

List of perks from HAL site

If HAL is paying attention, they may decide to save a little money on, for example, fresh flowers or stationery, and make sure they focus on, for example, the Neptune and PG.

Maybe we can get this thread away from bar mix stories!:)

Goodness......... We really would need a poll. :eek: It never occured to me some folks would want money saving on flowers. They add such charm and beauty to the ships. One of my favorite features that we think makes HAL more special for us. That is one of the last places I'd want to see cutbacks. :sad: Truth be told..... with the rates for Suites, I hope we don't have to see any cutbacks. :)

Corsages and bouttoniers are a whole different story. :) I guess we would be okay about that cut back. :)

Floral arrangements around the ship, in the cabins and Neptune Lounge are very appreciated by us. I like having flowers on dining tables in MDR and Pinnacle and the orchid plants in Lido. Never too many flowers for me!!!!

There have been times we had roses and I so enjoyed them. I kept changing the water to keep them fresh as long as possible.

Thanks for the tip about cash exchange, kazu. Putting it on my list! I really have no idea what concierges do, I used one once at the resort we were at, but it seemed like I could have made that reservation myself :P

hehe ;)

Your concierge does absolutely everything for you. Want a pinnacle grill booking? a shore excursion. a piece of laundry missing? need some travelers cheques cashed? have a problem or need to know something?

Have a question? Want dinner served course by course? want to send some of your gift wine to the dining room? need more stationary? want to know what your shipboard account is looking like?

The list goes on and on. They literally do everything the front desk does but much more. lost your map of the ship? they'll give you a new one.

want to rent a dvd, just see them. I'm sure others can think of things, but I think you can get the idea. They are there to help and are genteel, polite and a pleasure to deal with.

Laundry lost a very expensive 1/2 of a very dressy pant suit last cruise :eek:

first time ever. Told my cabin steward, but I went right away to the concierge. the meet and greet was the same day and the hotel manager came in (all the officers came:)) and before I had said hello he apologized for the missing laundry and assured me it would be found.

Later on in the Neptune Lounge, the concierge came up to me and pulled a hanger from behind her back. she wanted to make sure it was the right one (and it was) before it was put in my room

Usually I don't need them a whole lot, but I was really glad we had her that day. They are incredible and it just makes cruising one bit more special.

Of course DH says he doesn't need the concierge. Why would he - he sends me to do everything! enjoy!!! happy cruising:)

Jacqui: Lol @ hubby not needing a concierge ;) That is a really nice story about the pantsuit, it's really going "above and beyond," imo.

Thanks for the list of services, with all this talk about concierges, I was like: "Concierge? Concierge? Why in the world would I need a concierge?" Sounds like having your own personal TA on board to help you with incidentals.

What was this thread about again? Ow yeah, BK in the PG. I want to do it. I vote to keep it :P And don't take away my flowers either!

breakfast in the PG is truly great. and flowers, I'll keep mine in the room thanks. and Yes, the concierge is wonderful. sometimes you don't need them as much, but last cruise I sure did. And yes, they were all wonderful. Love the Neptune lounge and my huge verandah. Especially for the transatlantic coming up. Enjoy.

Hi Alexandria,

DH and I are on our first ever cruise, chose HAL/Oosterdam for the posts that for the $$ spent the service/accommodations, ambiance, etc were the best value. We could have an upgrade to the SA for less than what we've paid for our SB aft, but I really wanted the chance to sit and watch the wake and feel "out of the crowds" so many posting refer to. Besides the PG breakfast missing (and I'm disappointed about that), what other issues did you have?

You said "

... not having the Pinnacle for two mornings was disappointing and combining that with some problems with service for our suite and not receiving one or two other suite amenities simply diminished the value of a suite for me..."

Hi Alexandria,

DH and I are on our first ever cruise, chose HAL/Oosterdam for the posts that for the $$ spent the service/accommodations, ambiance, etc were the best value. We could have an upgrade to the SA for less than what we've paid for our SB aft, but I really wanted the chance to sit and watch the wake and feel "out of the crowds" so many posting refer to. Besides the PG breakfast missing (and I'm disappointed about that), what other issues did you have?

You said "

... not having the Pinnacle for two mornings was disappointing and combining that with some problems with service for our suite and not receiving one or two other suite amenities simply diminished the value of a suite for me..."

I posted a review of our cruise with lots of details, but as far as the deluxe suite amenities, we didn't find any advantage at embarkation (suite pax were in the same boarding groups as everyone else), we weren't provided the corsage and boutonniere on the first formal night, the Pinnacle was closed for breakfast for two of the mornings and when reserving a table at Canaletto, we weren't able to get the time we wanted through the Neptune concierge so we didn't find the "priority dining and seating requests" beneficial. Combined with very mediocre service from our room stewards (such as not bringing laundry bags two days in a row so we couldn't send out laundry), we were underwhelmed by the deluxe suite experience and benefits and didn't find them worth the extra cost above a superior suite for us.

We still enjoyed the HAL experience and have another cruise already booked, but unless the cost to upgrade to a deluxe suite is irresistible, we'll probably pass on them in the future. For us, the Pinnacle breakfast was something we certainly did miss the two days it wasn't available and we were disappointed that it was unavailable, but I don't know how much difference that one issue would make in our future booking of deluxe suites. However, combined with the other issues, the deluxe suite benefits just didn't meet our expectations.

Combined with very mediocre service from our room stewards (such as not bringing laundry bags two days in a row so we couldn't send out laundry), we were underwhelmed by the deluxe suite experience and benefits and didn't find them worth the extra cost above a superior suite for us.

We were on your cruise, also in an SA suite. We only got laundry bags a couple of the days. (first two, I believe) I called the concierge and told her that I needed one. She called me back and said that they were out of laundry bags (???:confused:???) so I just started putting our dirty clothes with the form in the baskets on our bed. We always had plenty of those since most of our clothes came back folded in the baskets and we sent out our clothes each day.

We were on your cruise, also in an SA suite. We only got laundry bags a couple of the days. (first two, I believe) I called the concierge and told her that I needed one. She called me back and said that they were out of laundry bags (???:confused:???) so I just started putting our dirty clothes with the form in the baskets on our bed. We always had plenty of those since most of our clothes came back folded in the baskets and we sent out our clothes each day.

Great idea - the 2 most important suite perks to us are the laundry (which we use daily) and breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill (I'm bummed about this closing the 1st 2 days). Hopefully things improve by our fall cruise.

One reason some of the ships are running out of laundry bags is because some people arrive at the ship with lots of laundry -- from land tours -- pre cruise (we have to stay at our airport hotel and then 2 - 3 days in a hotel at embarkation port) -- thus they can have a lot of laundry.

AND -- when a person gets to 200 days now on HAL -- they get FREE laundry!! Thus more people taking advantage of that.

And some people take advantage of the "laundry by the bag" price.

Great idea - the 2 most important suite perks to us are the laundry (which we use daily) and breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill (I'm bummed about this closing the 1st 2 days). Hopefully things improve by our fall cruise.

Yes, laundry is a very important suite perk to us.

One reason some of the ships are running out of laundry bags is because some people arrive at the ship with lots of laundry -- from land tours -- pre cruise (we have to stay at our airport hotel and then 2 - 3 days in a hotel at embarkation port) -- thus they can have a lot of laundry.

AND -- when a person gets to 200 days now on HAL -- they get FREE laundry!! Thus more people taking advantage of that.

And some people take advantage of the "laundry by the bag" price.

I understand that cruisers arrive with dirty laundry. We did. We were in Seattle two full days before embarkation. We sent that laundry in to be cleaned the day we boarded. I was surprised that they were out of bags, but I did not get upset by it. We just used the baskets; they worked just as well, and our laundry was cleaned just the same.

Archived