Cruise Employee Robbed Homes

Colakid

Just saw this on CNN.com and thought I would pass on the link.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/06/11/vacationers.burglarized/index.html?hpt=T3

You never know. Colakid.

Just curious why you post this on a HOlland america board? this is an RCCl issue, not a HAL issue?

there are crooks everywhere but obvious Royal Carribean doesn't do a good job of checking out their employees - but why on the Holland America board? Jacqui

Just curious why you post this on a HOlland america board? this is an RCCl issue, not a HAL issue?

there are crooks everywhere but obvious Royal Carribean doesn't do a good job of checking out their employees - but why on the Holland America board? Jacqui

I hardly think RCCL is not screening their people. There was no mention in the article if the ex-employee even had a criminal history available/on file, which is about as in-depth as I would expect RCCL to go. (And even then, I doubt they would do that as a very low percentage of non-government employers even bother to check.

There are bad apples everywhere, in every line of work. This one happened to work for RCCL. That is all.

**Why don't we have an OT forum anyway? Or do we? (runs to look)

Very interesting but sad.You have to be so careful these days as your info is all over the internet and so easily obtainable.People on facebook have had the same problem.Posting that they will be going on vacation,and come home to a haouse that was robbed.Good information for everyone to keep in mind

No, it's a "Cruisers need to be aware" issue.

Colakid, thanks for the link.

I hardly think RCCL is not screening their people. There was no mention in the article if the ex-employee even had a criminal history available/on file, which is about as in-depth as I would expect RCCL to go. (And even then, I doubt they would do that as a very low percentage of non-government employers even bother to check.

There are bad apples everywhere, in every line of work. This one happened to work for RCCL. That is all.

**Why don't we have an OT forum anyway? Or do we? (runs to look)

Yes, it's called the "Floataway Lounge" and can be found here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=209

I've heard it said that one reason not to put your cruise luggage tags on at home is that dishonest employees at your local airport can see that you'll be away on a cruise for a while, and can get your name and address off your other bag tags.

We also tempt fate when we notify our post office and our newspaper delivery office that we`ll be out of town ( Cruising) for a length of time. I prefer a trusted neighbor or relative to pick up the mail and paper if at all possible.

Rich

The easiest way to avoid such problems is to unlist your land-line telephone number and get a post office box. Use the p.o. box for your credit cards, commercial transactions, luggage tags, and vehicle registrations among other things. It is hard to burglarize a p.o. box. If someone steals your car, they won't know where to use the garage door opener, or any keys that happen to be left inside the car.

The easiest way to avoid such problems is to unlist your land-line telephone number and get a post office box. Use the p.o. box for your credit cards, commercial transactions, luggage tags, and vehicle registrations among other things. It is hard to burglarize a p.o. box. If someone steals your car, they won't know where to use the garage door opener, or any keys that happen to be left inside the car.

Unfortunately some states won't allow you to register a vehicle to a PO box. You can have a second mailing address so that the renewal notices go to the mail box but the address of where the car is actually kept must be on the registration.

Randyk47 is correct re PO Boxes and vehicle registration.

I don't know about Florida law, but in many states the crime committed is Burglary, not Robbery, and that can make a big difference in sentencing. It is more than just semantics.

Generally, Burglary is a crime against property, Robbery a crime against a person.

Why not ?

ooh, on a lighter note (found browsing online):

Vacation on Royal Caribbean: $1,200

Cost of going to the ER from eating salmonella laced cruise ship food: $800

Coming home to find your house burglarized: Priceless

Couldn't resist :P

Colakid, Thanks for the heads up... Depending on how much info we make available on Roll Calls etc., when we are sailing?-- when we will be cruising?--- is good info for thiefs no matter what line we are cruising on.

A good reminder to all cruisers that advertising we will be away from on such a such a date is not good policy after we divulge too much info on these pages.

The message is don't give out info that would tell the world where we live and that you will not be around to defend your property.:eek:

Your alert is appreciated.

Randyk47 is correct re PO Boxes and vehicle registration.

I don't know about Florida law, but in many states the crime committed is Burglary, not Robbery, and that can make a big difference in sentencing. It is more than just semantics.

Generally, Burglary is a crime against property, Robbery a crime against a person.

Excellent and right on!:)

Archived