Allegiant/JetBlue/SouthWest/Spirit/Virg Amer/-New opening of rate schedules-post here

Host Mike

The cheapest airfare we've found round-trip is $780pp. That is what qualifies as outrageous for us. What's killing us is the return flight. We're a little flexible going down. (We usually fly in a day before any cruise just to be safe.) On the way back, we have very little choice of flights and they are all in the $500+ one way range. Is that normal for February?

The cheapest airfare we've found round-trip is $780pp. That is what qualifies as outrageous for us. What's killing us is the return flight. We're a little flexible going down. (We usually fly in a day before any cruise just to be safe.) On the way back, we have very little choice of flights and they are all in the $500+ one way range. Is that normal for February?

Where are you wanting to fly from and to? and dates?

The prices we've been seeing for the February 14, 2015 sailing we want have been OUTRAGEOUS.
Hate to say it, but for Feb break, those prices are normal. We did DCL last year on Feb Break and got KILLED on the prices. ALB->MCO averages $325pp r/t, for Feb Break last year it was over double that. The emtire tracvel industry knows when the NorthEast schools are on break!!!
I am constantly amazed by the number of people who book a cruise without knowing what the air will cost.
I agree 100% with this statement!!!

We have also been waiting for Southwest to release their prices. The prices we've been seeing for the February 14, 2015 sailing we want have been OUTRAGEOUS. Is that normal for that time of year? We are planning to book two balcony cabins on Carnival Breeze and sail with another couple as well (so three cabins in all) and the airfares we are seeing would cost almost double the price of the cruise. I think this is our 11th or 12th cruise and we've never seen prices this high. That is February vacation week in Massachusetts (where we live) but only in a few other states so I'm having a tough time understanding the spike.

Does anyone have any advice...or hope? I mean, we can afford everything, but geesh.

There is a holiday on February 16th so this is a busy family sailing week. Prices will be high in February as each week goes by. Spring breaks start about now too. You should expect a lot of kids onboard that week.

Can you go a week earlier.

I am looking at February 8 or the 22nd and missing that mess on that week

I wish we could be more flexible on our dates but both kids are in school (Middle and High School) and my older daughter is in all honors classes. Plus, school policies consider them "truant" if they miss school for anything but illness, doctor's appointments, or a family emergency.

So far, we've looked at flying out of either Boston, Manchester NH (which is closest to us), or even Providence RI and into any of the south Florida airports but haven't found anything under $300 one way. Going back is much higher. To make matters worse, we are taking my daughter's friend along so it will be five in our group and eight if you count the other family we are traveling with. We wanted to book two balcony cabins and an interior for the kids and the airfare would STILL be more expensive than the cruise. I have a personal rule of thumb that the airfare should not exceed the cost of an an eight-day cruise...really.

We've even looked at flying into several of the northern Florida airports and just renting/hiring a car to get to Miami, but the price weren't that much cheaper. Ugh.

It's smart. As a regular on this Cruise Air board, I am constantly amazed by the number of people who book a cruise without knowing what the air will cost...or at least a general idea of what the air will cost. To me, I have to know ALL aspects of my vacation - air, meals, hotel, sites, etc. - to determine if I can afford it. Just last week my wife and I were trying to determine if we should go to Vegas + Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving, and after running a legit budget, determined we should not expend those funds at the time. I would never be able to make concrete plans without know what each thing, especially the expensive parts, would cost.

There are so many people who book a cruise long, long before plane tickets come on the market, and thus don't have any idea if they can truly afford the trip or not, which blows my mind.

I book most of my cruises before airfare is available. I do this to secure a particular cabin and take advantage of early booking promos. Even if I did have to cancel the cruise, it's not a big deal since the deposit is fully refundable up until 70 days before sailing.

As for airfare, I generally have an idea of what the maximum price should be and budget accordingly. The airfare prices out of my local airport have been consistent for many, many years. If I end up paying less, it's a bonus.

I am so disappointed with the Early Bird thing but I learned a lot today.

We got flights as soon as they came available and did purchase early bird seats at the same time.

What I did not know is that someone who is an A-list member or an Elite member will bump me down the process.

Checked in today and got B19 and B 20 --which means 15 business select people and about 70 people are A-list or Elite members?

totally sucks for those people who did not purchase those early bird seats-

whats the chance of them sitting together

We got flights as soon as they came available and did purchase early bird seats at the same time.

What I did not know is that someone who is an A-list member or an Elite member will bump me down the process.

Checked in today and got B19 and B 20 --which means 15 business select people and about 70 people are A-list or Elite members?

Wow! Now I already knew about the bumping, I just didn't realize so many people were A- list or Elite!

Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

That's good to know.

I am flying solo on a nonstop flight next month so I didn't bother with the EB, however on the return I have a tight connection in IAD so I booked EB on the early flight to get a seat near the front.

Wow! Now I already knew about the bumping, I just didn't realize so many people were A- list or Elite!

Thanks!

that was my exact quote to the guy--his response was a family of 10 will only need 1 member to be A-list or Elite. As long as that member is booking the family the entire family gets bumped up

that was my exact quote to the guy--his response was a family of 10 will only need 1 member to be A-list or Elite. As long as that member is booking the family the entire family gets bumped up

Not only that - but if someone else books your flight later than you, but of course the cost will have gone up, if they buy EB they will be positioned in front of you also :( so the order is really Status - Price Paid - When EB is bought is last.

I had no idea this was the case - I always book our SW flights as soon as they came out and could never figure out why so many people were in front of me to board the plane - so I just asked a few kind souls in front of me when they had booked, they had all booked a lot later than me, but of course had paid more money ergo - to the front !!

Jane

Edited by FirstAlto

Not only that - but if someone else books your flight later than you, but of course the cost will have gone up, if they buy EB they will be positioned in front of you also :( so the order is really Status - Price Paid - When EB is bought is last.

I had no idea this was the case - I always book our SW flights as soon as they came out and could never figure out why so many people were in front of me to board the plane - so I just asked a few kind souls in front of me when they had booked, they had all booked a lot later than me, but of course had paid more money ergo - to the front !!

That sounds like another example of the airline industry doing what's sensible: prioritising its more profitable customers rather than running a first come, first served system.

I have flown on several Southwest "Miracle flights" .

I am typing this with NO discrimination to those that legitimately need the special assistance.

These are the flights where certain people who don't want to pay for Early Boarding roll up in a wheel chair to the gates with their Blue boarding card in hand.

Because they have a "Medical Issue" they get priority boarding without paying for the EB Check-in.

These are the same people who are miraculously cured during their flight because they rush off the plane with no problem what so ever when they reach their destination.

We have flown several flights where we've had a higher boarding number but have actually been the first to board the plane because those spots in line before us were actually empty.

From their website -

Travel Tools

We are currently accepting air reservations through January 4, 2015. On August 4, 2014, we will open our schedule for sale through March 6, 2015. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

Thanks! For some reason I couldn't find it on the website. Wouldn't you know it, though, I need it for March 15! Guess I will wait a little longer.

Check this link after tomorrow, it will list the date of the next opening:

http://www.southwest.com/html/travel-tools/index.html?int=GSUBNAV-TOOLS-ALL&forceNewSession=yes