CNN or Fox News?

mexico5

Reading "between the lines" this is a fascinating discussion. The fact of the matter is that practically all news is slanted to some degree. For years now, I have told anyone who will listen to me that the only channel I believed was the weather channel because when they were wrong they had to admit it. Unfortunately, that channel, too, has been sensationalized.

Frankly, it should be a relief to be newsless for a while--after all most everything on any channel is negative. I'd love to see a channel that had all positive happenings on it--but, it would probably not last a week before being pulled.

...have your market stop orders set up prior to departure for piece of mind.

Otherwise, for news purpose CNN / FNC / NYT (I only like the crosswords during a cruise) is just fine.

Better yet, just enjoy the cruise 'news-less' (if your able), pamper yourselves and enjoy each other's company instead.

Now have a GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Agree with you 100%, Prescott Bob! We cruise to get away, de-stress and relax. Whatever is going to happen will happen whether we're watching or not.

The older we get, the more we have learned that life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we choose to react to it. And when we're so very fortunate to be on a wonderful cruise, we choose to enjoy each other and mingle with new-found friends, and just let the rest of the world "get on with it". We can (and do!) certainly catch up once we are back home.

In the meanwhile....Smooth Sailing to everyone! :)

For those of us who are old enough to remember travel by ship when the only news you got was typed out and included on the daily info sheet or tacked up on some announcement board, the joke was then that if the world was ending we would be the last to know.

I think I miss that.

I know I do. :(

It was so nice when there were no TVs in the cabins, no newspaper delivered to the cabin, no Internet, the cabin telephone couldn't call home, and the news was posted on a bulletin board outside the radio room.

People had no choice but to relax. It was wonderful! :)

BBC, CNN, and Al Jazeera are the top three news channels with International content, which means that they invest in the facilities to report news from many countries. Fox News is a domestic US news channel.

Since they tend to have international clientele, cruise lines will normally show the international news channels rather than domestic ones.

So get Fox to invest more to move up with the big players, and they should get more time on cruise ships.

We had Al Jazeera on our last European cruise with HAL. Very interesting to watch.

I really don't understand. News is news and everything else is just opinion. If something significant is happening in the world - wouldn't you want to hear about it? What difference does it make where it comes from? We can all tune into our favorite cable people to hear their slant on the news when we get home so we'll know what to think. While we're on our vacation - on these wonderful cruise ships, we'll just have to get the news straight and make up our own minds. At least we'll know what's going on while we're gone.

Absolutely I agree news is news and I'd love to see it delivered simply as news the way it used to be. The problem is that the CNN Intl. isn't news all the time. Much of it is just news "stories" and they are repeated over and over and over. So if you come to your cabin for a few minutes and flip it on you might see the same story you saw just 6 hours before.

For those of us who are old enough to remember travel by ship when the only news you got was typed out and included on the daily info sheet or tacked up on some announcement board, the joke was then that if the world was ending we would be the last to know.

I think I miss that.

I miss it!!!! Those were the days. I think it's psychological with me that because the TV is there I want it to provide what it provides at home.

I'll never forget the first cruise we had with a TV in the cabin. It was our honeymoon in 1985. On the one hand I was happy for DH, on the other I thought "there goes the neighborhood!":)

Wish I could remember the poster who explained all this but he was a HAL employee and everyone knew him very well.
I believe you're referring to BruceMuzz. He's not currently a HAL employee, but I believe some of his 29 or 30 year career on ships has been with HAL.

Here's a post of his on this subject from Oct 2006:

Most cruise ships could carry both CNN and Fox (and several others; How about BBC?) But to carry any televised anything on a ship, the cruise line needs to download it via satellite, via a special (read very expensive) decoding license. The CNN package, which includes several channels (TNT, Cartoon Network, CNN Headline News, CNN World News, CNN International, ESPN) costs about $25,000 per ship, per month. The Fox Package, which includes Fox News and Fox Channel, costs about $30,000 per ship, per month.

The Cruise Line Execs need to be persuaded by you that they really need to spend an extra $30,000 per ship, per month to keep their passengers happy.

Before you recommend that the ships merely put up an antenna and catch the television signal out of the air, you should be aware that this is strictly illegal and results in massive fines if they are caught.

I think I miss that.

it is still that way on transatlantics. i've been on a couple where there was no news, or TV of any sort, for a few days.

it is still that way on transatlantics. i've been on a couple where there was no news, or TV of any sort, for a few days.

That's true in the areas where there is no satellite coverage. If there's no land masses in the area---therefore no people to watch TV---there's no reason for satellite coverage. Otherwise, the ship does have the full slate of stations.

At the Captain's Q&A session once, returning from Hawaii, a man expressed his "disappointment" (generous choice of word ;)) in no uncertain terms.

As long as I can see our former Illinois Gov Blago sentenced to the Big House this Fall while onboard ship, I don't care which news feed we get. Truly, when we were onboard the Statendam December 2008, that's how we learned he'd been arrested.:D

As long as I can see our former Illinois Gov Blago sentenced to the Big House this Fall while onboard ship, I don't care which news feed we get. Truly, when we were onboard the Statendam December 2008, that's how we learned he'd been arrested.:D

He`ll ask to be assigned the same cell as Ryan to avoid paying the single supplement.:)

Rich

I know I do. :(

It was so nice when there were no TVs in the cabins, no newspaper delivered to the cabin, no Internet, the cabin telephone couldn't call home, and the news was posted on a bulletin board outside the radio room.

People had no choice but to relax. It was wonderful! :)

Amen. :p;)

I hope that they keep CNN International. If they bring on Fox then they need to bring on MSNBC ( to be fair and balanced) I really don't think that HAL needs the aggrevation to get political in its selection of viewed stations.

Can't be positive, but I'm pretty sure they're part of the same package. I just spoke to someone who'd been on Solstice and he said they had Fox News and MSNBC. I do know they're not purchased individually.

I believe you're referring to BruceMuzz. He's not currently a HAL employee, but I believe some of his 29 or 30 year career on ships has been with HAL.

Here's a post of his on this subject from Oct 2006:

I knew who it was and was purposely evasive since he had more than one name and I wasn't sure which one he used when he posted. He was still a HAL employee at the time he posted that comment.

I knew who it was and was purposely evasive since he had more than one name and I wasn't sure which one he used when he posted. He was still a HAL employee at the time he posted that comment.
Sorry I believed you meant it when you said
Wish I could remember the poster who explained all this ...

I like to hear news when we are away. I'm a news hound and don't wish to go two weeks without news from one cable station or another.

I fully agree. I DVR the local and national news each evening so I can watch it without commercial interruption. For the political correctness of this thread, I'll not say which network I use!

Archived