We're on Epic! What do you want to know?

kelly@

Good evening from Norwegian Epic in Southampton!

Boarding this evening was a fairly easy process considering the delays the ship has had arriving in Southampton.

There seems to be a lot of buzz and people were really excited about getting on the ship -- and with good reason of course!

I have had a quick walk through the ship (well as much as I could in a short space of time!), and tomorrow I will take a proper tour which will include visits to cabins, so I will endeavour to answer questions on that tomorrow.

Tonight, I ate in the Manhattan Restaurant on Deck 6 -- and with the sun setting over Southampton -- it was a glorious sunset in the floor-to-celling windows at the aft of the ship.

The food was nice, but the main reason we dined in this free-of-charge eatery, was because the "Legends Unplugged" act was on stage. A Vegas favourite, it seemed to go down well with diners tonight, too.

While you eat (from around 9:30 - 10 p.m. onward), tribute acts such as Elvis, Madonna and Tina Turner take to the stage and sing hits, and they even get the passengers up to participate.

A note: don't sit too close to the front if you don't want to be dragged on stage! :D

After this, I headed up to one of the outdoor bars, Spice H20, on Deck 15, where another musical act was on -- "Fabba".

Plenty of party goers enjoyed the sounds of the Abba tribute act, and with the British weather behaving, it was a great spot for an evening drink.

I have heard that we are due to sail tomorrow afternoon, but will keep you posted on this.

Hi Kelly!

Glad you are having a great time, the weather has been glorious hasnt it today, though i wish i too had been at Spice H20 instead of just sat in back garden :D

Looking forward to your reviews tomorrow and thanks in advance,

Have a great evening onboard!!

Sam :)

For anyone curious about the cabins, our editor in chief, Carolyn Spencer Brown, has posted a piece over on our new U.K. blog.

Check it out: http://cruisecriticuk.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/norwegian-epic-cabin-analysis-the-balcony/

OO yes, i commented on Carolyns balcony summary earlier, its a good review of them, thanks again Carolyn

Sam

Menus, menus, menus, menus!!!! LOL I really want to know what the MDR's are serving for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It would be great if you could do the same for the speciality restaurants, too. Also if you eat anything lovely lets us know, "your can't be missed!" so to speak.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

BTW so jealous!!!

Hi Melissa,

There really is so much food to try! I ate in Manhattan tonight for dinner and there was quite a wide selection to start and for the main course. I had chicken satay salad which was pretty tasty, followed by prime rib steak, which again was nice (not the best I have had, but still yummy) and served with lots of vegetables (carrots and green beans).

I'll get a full list of the menus tomorrow and post them for you.

I have been told that Manhattan and Taste (the other main dining room) have the same menus, too.

I did try Key Lime pie for the first time tonight -- and although it was nice, it was very, very sweet!

When I booked an AC Aft cabin NCL did not know if there was somewhere for a second person to sleep. Since the description stated for two they believed the two persons were partners. In my case it is myself and my adult neice. Question - can you check if there is a couch that turns into a bed. Thanks.

Hope you get a chance to get a peek at one of the Owner's Suites on 17 at the front of the ship and can take photos or videos!

Have fun!

For anyone else who is hoping to get information on cabins on deck 16 and 17, I have been told that this area isn't open yet -- they have been finishing up last minute work up there. I hope to get up there later today! Will keep you updated.

One other suite category that has not been seen in pictures are the AC Penthouse suites.

Would love to see shots of an actual AC Penthouse aft.

Hi, since the ship has 2,500 people on it, there are only a few show cabins open. Here are some shots from a Penthouse (11321, Deck 11 aft).

There are only seven of these onboard (on Deck 10,11,12), and the size of the cabin is 322 sq. ft.

They are spacious, and I personally like the way the circular bed faces the balcony out to sea. There is also a real coffee maker in the cabin, and passengers have access to the Posh, Courtyard and fitness area, concierge lounge and Epic Club/Courtyard Grill.

The two attached photos show the bed and the bath/shower area.

penthouse-epic-2.jpg.b3063183666e82b3abc980d67ae3fe49.jpg

penthouse-epic.jpg.0528a525e94f4522708ff52f45b32e3a.jpg

1. As a non-spa cabin passenger, can I buy a spa pass for the transatlantic, where do I buy it and how much does it cost?

2. And a touchier question--how security-conscious are they for the TA? Checking for nasty surprises left by the arsonist or people who are trying to avoid TSA security screenings. Am I paranoid?

3. Money!! Can i put any leftover GBP on my onboard account for credit without being killed by a terrible exchange rate? And will they even accept them? I'm struggling with how much $$ to change, and would like to know that I can get rid of some there.

To answer your questions:

1. A spa pass is available which gives you access to the Hydrotherapy courtyard area. It costs $30 a day or $119 for a week. If you are a couple, the pass costs $199 per couple, per week.

2. Security wise, the team has been visible. For example, I had the smoke detector go off in my cabin this morning (false alarm, so don't worry!), and a security officer was here within minutes to check out the problem. I am sure you will have a fantastic cruise.

3. I haven't been able to find this out yet -- will endeavour to check!

To answer your questions:

1. A spa pass is available which gives you access to the Hydrotherapy courtyard area. It costs $30 a day or $119 for a week. If you are a couple, the pass costs $199 per couple, per week.

Hi Kelly,

Brilliant info, just wondering as per the couple price, would our teenage daughter who will be 15 when we sail be allowed access with us? Would she be charged seperately at the adult rate or a teen rate or included in a couples rate?

Many thanks, enjoy your cruise to nowhere, its a beautiful day for it :D

Sam :)

Yes, we are moving!

We left Southampton about 45 minutes ago. I think the plan is to sail around the Solent and head back to port early morning. The propeller shaft has been fixed, according to NCL.

We also posted a story over on our news section about an hour ago: http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=3950

For anyone curious about the cabins, our editor in chief, Carolyn Spencer Brown, has posted a piece over on our new U.K. blog.

Check it out: http://cruisecriticuk.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/norwegian-epic-cabin-analysis-the-balcony/

Kelly

Thanks for the preview of Epic. We love uncovered balconies and I wondered if you have seen any. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks-Jim

Kelly,

I'm interested to know more about the "premium seating" option in the Spiegel Tent.

Are those seats just closer to the action, or is there some other reason one would choose to pay the extra $5 for those seats? Is there really any bad seat in the house?

Thanks so much for all of the information you're providing!

Hi, since the ship has 2,500 people on it, there are only a few show cabins open. Here are some shots from a Penthouse (11321, Deck 11 aft).

There are only seven of these onboard (on Deck 10,11,12), and the size of the cabin is 322 sq. ft.

They are spacious, and I personally like the way the circular bed faces the balcony out to sea. There is also a real coffee maker in the cabin, and passengers have access to the Posh, Courtyard and fitness area, concierge lounge and Epic Club/Courtyard Grill.

The two attached photos show the bed and the bath/shower area.

Hi Kelly

I've got 11321 for the May 2011 reverse TA from Miami to Barcelona.

Did it look as if there's enough room to replace the round glass coffee table with a small game table, if requested ?:confused:

We enjoy in cabin dining.

John

How is it going on board, I tracked you going past Portsmouth at just over 17 knotts, but you have slowed right down to under 10 knots, has the shudder gone from the Manhatton room. We were sat on the Port side Monday night and Tuesday morning and it was shuddering badly.

Archived