Just Back from Emerald..just my experience

sueb

If someone cancels automatic tipping, how does anyone know if you give your waitstaff or cabin steward a cash tip???? They must turn it in to their supervisor with the name/cabin number of who gave it to them.

Are the staff members threatened with losing their jobs if they don't turn it in? yes

And who would know if they didn't?? They live in close quarters and roommates whould sooner or later find out. If they do not turn it in, the roommates are getting lower payout from the pool.

Just curious how this works, because we were tempted to cancel auto-tip on our last cruise (we didn't cancel it, and gave extra tip to cabin steward).

see above in red

We've just got back from this cruise too. We did the week before also.

We thought the Eastern Caribbean itinerary was better than the western and the weather was better too.

I agree Tim Donovan was poor in comparison with James Ley, Billy London or even Lisa Ball. Didn't go a bundle on Colette either. James and Mark were a laugh though.

We first sailed on Emerald when it was only two months old so did notice it wasn't as sparkling as before. It was still in good fettle though with all hand rails nicely varnished.

We enjoyed the cruise and our kids (21 & 19) enjoyed it too meeting up with kids their own age and hanging out mostly in Skywalkers.

Traditional dining was a disappointment the second week as our new dining companions were French Canadian and spoke mostly in French to one another. They didn't bother with dressing for the formal nights either so me and my son in DJ's and bow ties looked odd on a table with someone in jeans and short sleeved shirt. Nice people none the less but we decided after that last formal night to eat at one of the anytime dining restaurants instead.

Watching world cup football on MUTS was great but marred after the USA V Ghana game when a fight broke out between a handful of Ghana supporters and a mob of USA suporters. So much for security! Code Sierra was called 10 minutes after the altercation had finished!

We'd go back on Emerald but would avoid Ocho Rios (third time there). The hassle you get there just wears you down.

Cheers

Peter

Tim Donovan goes way overboard asking passengers to clap for the most mundane things.

Gets super annoying in a hurry.

In addition to all his ancient cruise jokes. You would think after all the years he would change his routine or at least update some of his outdated material like the other CD's do.

OP, thanks for your review. I'm sorry about the glitches but I'm glad your daughter had fun -- that age group is tough on a cruise.

And I completely agree with you on Tim Donovan. He's just awful. I'm now glad I can't take the Emerald cruise I had hoped to take this August, as the sight of him would cause me such a convulsive shudder, I'd probably lose my balance and fall overboard.

LOL...tell us what you really think... ; ) I'll have to say my response to him wasnt' that intense, but I did try to avoid him.

What alternative do you prefer since if you cancel the automatic tipping any money you give waitstaff or cabin steward must be put into the automatic tip pool anyway?
So,

So, even if you had to make your own bed and tidy your own cabin as the OP did, you would still keep the automatic tip on??

We will be sailing in less than 2 weeks.... Our first cruise on Princess. We are very excited, but thanks to the OP, it also brought out current comments from others.

We will be doing the Ocho Rios excursion with Cave and Waterfalls. Anything we should know in advance? Are there any "potty" breaks inbetween?!

Thanks. :)

Hey firstimer2! We have a roll call thread for the July 18th sailing! Come join us!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1124083&page=20

So,

So, even if you had to make your own bed and tidy your own cabin as the OP did, you would still keep the automatic tip on??

Why hurt the wait staff and all the behind the scenes crew for one person's slacking? I would go to the steward's supervisor and rectify the problem before I made everyone suffer.

Just a quick overview/observations/opinion. Been on 16 cruises (4 with princess).

I felt the ship was looking worn in many areas including our stateroom (E731). The main atrium area looked great, but the skywalkers (furniture), deck pads, woodwork, exterior needs some help. Hopefully a drydock is scheduled soon. Our stateroom walls were 'touched up' in multiple areas where it had been damaged, carpet had runs in it, rusty areas on balcony. Mildew all over bottom of shower curtain that we had our Steward change out. Just looked like it needed a bit of an overhall. And, Fyi....yes you do feel vibration on the back of this ship(similar to driving in a car) and YES you CAN hear noise from Club Fusion until around midnight. Neither of these things really bothered us, but it is noticable and audible from this room. Loved our extended balcony (also had this room on the Grand Princess during it's first year).

Yikes! We've book E731 for our cruise which is 12 days away!! All the comments I had read was that this was the best mini-suite around. The noise isn't an issue because we won't be in our room until after midnight... but the vibration concerns me (for my DH). And paying more for a mini-suite, it would really not be a highlight if the room doesn't look great. I don't need anything fancy, but I'd like it to be nice and clean. Then again, the balcony is the real reason we tried getting the E731 and it sounds like you loved that aspect of it! Thanks for your honest and fair review. All concerns aside... I cannot wait to get on board!!! :)

OP, thanks for your review. I'm sorry about the glitches but I'm glad your daughter had fun -- that age group is tough on a cruise.

And I completely agree with you on Tim Donovan. He's just awful. I'm now glad I can't take the Emerald cruise I had hoped to take this August, as the sight of him would cause me such a convulsive shudder, I'd probably lose my balance and fall overboard.

I hope your decision for cancelling the cruise was for other reasons than Tim Donovan:confused:.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him and if he's as bad as most say he is, I would just ignore him and enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Yikes! We've book E731 for our cruise which is 12 days away!! All the comments I had read was that this was the best mini-suite around. The noise isn't an issue because we won't be in our room until after midnight... but the vibration concerns me (for my DH). And paying more for a mini-suite, it would really not be a highlight if the room doesn't look great. I don't need anything fancy, but I'd like it to be nice and clean. Then again, the balcony is the real reason we tried getting the E731 and it sounds like you loved that aspect of it! Thanks for your honest and fair review. All concerns aside... I cannot wait to get on board!!! :)

Debierpof, Don't worry yourself, you will be fine. I think my point is to voice our experience on this ship and in this cabin. We had a nice time, just not ranking very high overall in our 16 cruises. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself...it is what you make it and we loved our ports of call (we had been to all of them except Grand Turk before) and really enjoyed all the folks we met and the staff overall. You will like your room steward, Eduardo, if he is still there. If you need something just ask and he will do! He is very efficient and pleasent.

The vibration is rather constant while at sea. You may get used to it, but I was always aware of it Mainly because I tend to get Car Sick. (FYI, I take Bonine while at sea so never did feel sick). It just reminded me of driving in a car. We had smooth seas so did not feel the usual sway of the ship much at all. The problem in the room is not horrible. Just scuffed walls by the foot of the bed that need replaced. They are panels that have a grain to them so can't really be touched up with paint. The carpet had a couple of snags in it and I kept thinking there was a piece of paper or something on it. Kept bending down to pick it up. Room appeared clean. Balcony is great, just needs a little paint. Don't worry and have a good time.

Believe it or not, this is a coveted cabin by many. You will enjoy the extra balcony room and the fact that it is covered. You will not be sorry:)

sueb obviously enjoyed the cruise but was just stating a few facts. Everone is entitled to an opinion and hers were very much tempered over and over that they had a good cruise.:cool:

Funny how you can go on the same cruise and have such a different experience. Glad ours was an outstanding cruise on the Emerald in May on the same itinerary. We had a mini suite on dolphin and our cabin was super clean and no smoke around us or in the hallway. Lucky I guess.

The ship did not seem worn at all to us. We did reserve the sanctuary for the week so we were quite spoiled and not in with the "masses" during the sea days. Cannot comment on the deck chairs condition but we didn't notice furniture being worn out at all in the different areas of the ship.

Carpets, railings etc... were spotless for our cruise. We had an excellent

cabin steward as well. We didn't mind Tim Donovan but his assistant collette drove us nuts.... very annoying in our opinion.

Thanks for the review. I think it was a fair assessment of your experience and everyone else must agree so I'm glad you aren't getting flamed. ;)

I've read mixed reviews about Tim Donovan, to each his own I suppose. TBH, the CD doesn't really impact my experience as I participate irregularly in organized events on board. I appreciate that to some, this would impact their experience more than me.

Your comments about the cabin are a bit disappointing as that is a coveted MS location and I have it booked for one of my next cruises, though not on the Emerald this September.

The smoking one is always hit or miss. 9 cruises for us, 7 with balconies+ and we've never had a problem. It really is luck of the draw I suppose.

The smoking one is always hit or miss. 9 cruises for us, 7 with balconies+ and we've never had a problem. It really is luck of the draw I suppose.

Quick,,,, knock wood that your luck continues!

We have always had a balcony, and have never had smoke issues, as well!:)

This was our first time with this issue as well...actually it was cig. smoke in the hall and cigar smoke on the balcony. I'm thinking the cig. smoke was coming from 2 or 3 interior cabins and had no where else to go. It was really quite bad as you passed down the hall...our room was fine. I'm tempted, but refuse to bite on the other posters bate. ; )

This was our first time with this issue as well...actually it was cig. smoke in the hall and cigar smoke on the balcony. I'm thinking the cig. smoke was coming from 2 or 3 interior cabins and had no where else to go. It was really quite bad as you passed down the hall...our room was fine. I'm tempted, but refuse to bite on the other posters bate. ; )

It was probably from the balcony cabins because when you open the balcony door and the cabin door the air gets sucked in from outside through the cabin and exits through the door or vent on the cabin door and into the passageway.

Creates quite a wind tunnel.

Hi sueb,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I was just wondering....I think I remember reading that cigar smoking was not permitted anywhere except the cigar lounge. Did you call the purser's desk to have them check it out? Sometimes they can help, but some ships are better at this than others. I would have to agree that cigar smoke would have been a big downer for me on any vacation! :(

Hi sueb,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I was just wondering....I think I remember reading that cigar smoking was not permitted anywhere except the cigar lounge. Did you call the purser's desk to have them check it out? Sometimes they can help, but some ships are better at this than others. I would have to agree that cigar smoke would have been a big downer for me on any vacation! :(

If memory serves, and it very well may not:eek:, smoking cigars on the balcony was discouraged, but not prohibited.:(

Hi sueb,

Hum...not sure about that. To tell you the truth, I was happy it wasn't cigarette smoke. The cigar smoke was not that noticable so it must have been somewhere not too close by. Really wasn't offensive.

Interesting thread, lots of info to consume.

We are sailing on Emerald in January and booked on Inside D716. Worried about the vibration I am reading about. Will we be effected by this?

We were on Emerald a few years back and had a great time.

Does anyone know if or when they will be in dry dock.

Also, our favorite place was the adult pool in the back of the ship, was wondering if this was still adults only, and was it still uncovered?

Thanks

Interesting thread, lots of info to consume.

We are sailing on Emerald in January and booked on Inside D716. Worried about the vibration I am reading about. Will we be effected by this?

We were on Emerald a few years back and had a great time.

Does anyone know if or when they will be in dry dock.

Also, our favorite place was the adult pool in the back of the ship, was wondering if this was still adults only, and was it still uncovered?

Thanks

I believe the aft deck pool is still adults only and, Yes it is uncovered!

Archived