Newb Cruiser - First day list of things to do?

John73

I'm going to be on Solstice this coming Sunday for my first cruise. Anyone have a good list of things to do when first boarding and learning the layout of the ship? About all I know right now is that I should plan on lunch at Bistro on 5. What else can I expect on the first day? What places should I plan on exploring that day?

If they don't hand you a copy of the daily programme for that first day, stop at Guest Relations and pick one up (there will be one in your stateroom, but your room might not be ready immediately on boarding). They should be in a rack near the Guest Relations desk. Check for guided tours of the ship. An excellent way to get to know your way around.

Do not be taken in by spa/salon staff who are trying to sell you expensive treatment packages (unless you have already researched them ahead of time and determined what you are interested in purchasing)

Do not be taken in by friendly waiters passing drinks in souvenir glasses. Other than the welcoming glass of bubbly, these drinks are not free, and the souvenir glass may not be something you would want to purchase and take home with you. You can buy the same drinks w/o the souvenir glass.

Have a great time!

In the daily program, there may be a get-together for new cruisers. That would probably be very useful. To some extent it might be pushing the paid programs, but listen to all with an open ear.

Just wandering around the ship is loads of fun. Stop at all the little maps/diagrams and see if you can figure where you just were and where you are going!

Don't presume your room is NOT ready, esp. if the corridor is not blocked off. It's more fun exploring if you've dropped off your carry-ons.

While you're wandering, read the menus (if you like doing that sort of thing) at the main dining room and the specialty restaurants. Often on a cruise, Mr. B. and I enjoy reporting to each other that we already know what we're going to order for dinner that night.

Show up for the life boat drill!

Have a great cruise.

--May

Just sit out in the sun! Sit by the pool or sit on the higher deck, stretch out your legs, close your eyes and see what you hear and smell.

Sometimes the sights are amusing/entertaining, too.

Enjoy!

First, if you haven't already - go join your Rollcall Group and get to know the people that will be on the cruise with you. Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1128827

We (our Rollcall group) always plan a "Get-together Pary" on the first day - meet at the Mast Bar at 3:00 or 3:30 and get to know each other.

We try to get on board around noon (as soon as they will let you).

We first go to the dining room and check out our table assignment - get your table number and go look it up. If it is not what you wanted, there are people there that can change your assignment.

After that, we go to the Seaview Cafe and have lunch. Then go explore until our cabin is available.

Hope This Helps.

Hi, Mikelat! Good call heading to lunch at Bistro on 5 on the first day! Excellent and not at all crowded (at least not for us on 6/27 sailing). I don't know if you're planning on trying one of the specialty restaurants - if you are and haven't made reservations prior to getting on the ship, I would recommend taking care of that first thing after your welcome aboard glass of champagne! Specialty restaurants are on the fifth deck, too...just make your res and then head back over to Bistro. Easy breezy! Other first day tips- don't miss sail away! Best spots - port side veranda, Sunset Bar or Lawn Club Deck. The show in the theatre your first night is a taste of all of the shows coming up during the week. Not sure if the shows are your thing or not. I went to three of them and enjoyed them, but personally, I could skip the first night preview show (skipped the last night recap show, too, so I could finish up the packing, enjoy a little wine and fill out customs forms in relative peace). :D

One last first day tip that we like to do...place our room service order for breakfast the following morning! 'Cause nothin' says vacation better than ordering up breakfast to your room the first day out!

Not sure if your Eastern or Western Caribbean and this is a first port of call day tip but, oh gosh, don't miss brunch in the MDR.

Other than that, just get packed and enjoy your cruise! ;)

Use the deck plans on the Celebrity (X) site to pre-familiarize yourself with the ship. There is a LOT of good info on the X website, as well as on these boards.

Follow DHADENS advice and join your Roll Call.

Have fun!

Sara

We like to walk about and get our bearings. As OP have said, being a little familiar with the deck plans in advance is helpful.

If we leave from somewhere warm, we carry on a backpack with our "swim britches" in it so that we can just hang out at the pool comfortably even if our luggage doesn't show up for a while, order at the topsider bar:D and watch all the people walking by taking it all in--always fun.

I take a look at the daily (we affectionately refer to it as the "pitter-pater") and pull out the highlighter to note of any activities we're interested in for the evening.

Also as op said, look in on your table assignment in the MDR if doing fixed dining and make sure you like it.

We don't do this but have traveled with others who do--If you like spa stuff, you might want to make reservations there for preferred times on sea days.

We would echo the advice about checking your table assignment, and do not be shy about seeking out the staffer who is handling table switches if you are not satisfied with the placement of your table.

We always have our swim gear, toiletries and first night's dinner outfit in a carry-on in case there are any delays with luggage. If you have early seating, it will take a bit for the room to fill. Don't feel obligated to rush right there at the opening. Take time to enjoy sail away!

We start at the top of the ship and walk across the whole deck exploring. Then we take the stairs down to the next deck and go in the opposite direction. We skip decks that are all cabins. It's a great way to get to know the ship. Also the elevators are pretty busy that first day with all the arrivals, so taking the stairs is easier!

We did the Equinox last year and it was such a beautiful ship to explore (the lawn, the glass blowing, the gym, the martini bar....). We became fans and are off on the Eclipse in September.

I'm going to be on Solstice this coming Sunday for my first cruise. Anyone have a good list of things to do when first boarding and learning the layout of the ship? About all I know right now is that I should plan on lunch at Bistro on 5. What else can I expect on the first day? What places should I plan on exploring that day?

Good suggestions all. Walk around and learn the layout of the ship. Bistro on 5 is what we have done for lunch on the first day and I recommend it highly.

Totally agree with having lunch at Bistro on Five.:D So much better than the madness at the buffet on embarkation day.

We always meet the Cruise Critic members for sailaway somewhere on the ship. Of course, there is the emergency lifeboat drill :( you have to do that. A little exploring and it will be time for drinks, dinner and the show. Time flies!

The only thing I would add is that if you want to do some of the ship-sponsored excursions and you have not booked yours yet, you should do so ASAP. Some of the more popular ones will sell out. You can book your excursions on the interactive TV in your cabin.

Wish I was on a cruise.....:(

Doris

When we went on the Solstice, we were wandering around up near the Lawn and a staff member told us that she would be giving a ship tour. It was only 10-15 minutes long and really gave us a good overview of the Solstice and things we went back to later to explore. This was also the 1st Celebrity cruise we were on that our cabin steward would not let us into our cabin even to drop off our carryon. Luckily our friends we were cruising with us didn't have such a "by the rules timewise" stewerd.

Enjoy your cruise----the Solstice is a spectacular ship!!!!:)

Especially with your stateroom steward. Let him/her know if you need a crokscrew or wine glasses or an eggcrate topper or extra pillows or extra hangers, etc.

Figure out which side of the ship your stateroom is on when you get off the elevators. That eliminates a lot of sudden 180 degree turns (almost always with someone immediately behind you).

Smile at everyone. You'll make new friends immediately.

Hi Mike, ohhhh tomorrow is the day:D hope you have a wonderful time.

Exploring the ship is always fun, especially on your very first cruise:)

Archived