anyone got stolen in there luggage?

FRANCOIS

just back from the Carribean on the Princess Emerald, and because of that metal check up at the airport, I put a watch that I bought on the ship in my luggage. When I opened my watch box at arrival! no more watch in the box!!

so there is only two place that someone had the chance to do so, letting the luggage at 10 pm to the Princess untill the next morning at the pier, or the TSI that put the TSI inspect sticker on my luggage!

it wasnt a very expensive one but it still unacceptable.

I can t beleive that some people doesnt have anything helse to do then to steel thing in the luggage! they could have taken my 2 bottle of liquor!

but I guess it was too big compare to a watch!

So just curious to see if I am the only one, Emerald Princess returned August 1st 2010.

Do you mean TSA? You will never know where this watch disappeared, as airport employees, etc. also had access to it. No airline will reimburse you for jewelry left in luggage. It could even have happend in Canada! I guess you learned to never pack anything of value in a checked bag.

Sorry to hear about that :(

Always assume the worst can happen and lock the luggage, as small as a deterrant that is it still is a barrier of sorts, and never put anything you can't afford to lose in your luggage, sadly.

Generally never had anything, but maybe its because I never keep track of my dirty laundry. By the end of most of my trips the only thing in the checked luggage or stuff that is sitting outside my room the night before is dirty laundry :o

I agree with you all, shouldnt have let it in the luggage!

It was a Fossil watch, so not expensive one, and I just spoke with Visa and they are covering stolen item.

TSI, TSA ? at the airport they have a blue shirt with TSI on it and the sticker on my luggage was TSI inspected FL.

but like you said, no way to know where and how!

TSA stands for Transportation Safety Administration and they are the ones charged with security checks at airports.

I am sorry you lost your watch and would be upset were it me. It could have been stolen by anyone who passed down the corridor after you put out the suitcase the last night, highly unlikely but possibly by crew on the ship who handled the luggage , on shore luggage handlers at the terminal, by a TSA worker at the airport, by the luggage handlers working for your airline in FLL, by luggage handlers working for your airport in Canada. Take your pick..... could have been anyone of those great many opportunities.

Happy your credit card will reimburse you.

In the future, keep it in your carryon and do not check valuables or medications.

I learned my lesson years ago not to ever pack jewelry or watches in my luggage. Years ago I was flying back from CA and put my jewelry in my luggage and when I got back, no surprise, it had been stolen. Had to be an employee at the airport or airlines since it was a land vacation visiting relatives and the luggage was with me from the time we checked it at the airport untill we picked it up after our flight.

This is one mistake you don't make twice. Never pack anything valuable in luggage. Regarding the metal detectors, its no big deal with a watch, they scan it like anything else. People wear watches daily and just put the watch in their carry on or put it the bin with their wallet/purse and other valuables. Its no big deal.

It has been proven that most things stolen out of luggage are taken by the baggage handlers at the airports. I remember the TV show 20/20 did an expose on the baggage handlers in Miami and Ft Lauderdale, showing them opening bags while they were in the waiting area under the terminal, and going through many bags, taking things out. You never put cameras, jewelry, money, computers or any valuables in luggage, even if locked. The program showed that these baggage handlers had keys to open locks on luggage.

I have been adised that luggage with Cruise Ship tags are frequently targetted by personnel at airports as people have: jewelry, souveneirs

and some of their best clothes. I believe this after having 2 bags dis-appear flying back from Rome. Bags tagged with our personal info, copy

of same in Bags, bible with name and address in suitcase. Never to be seen again. Filed on airlines first, got $1,300.00 limit at time. Travel insurance then required I file with "homeowners", hmmmm I have a $1,000.00 deductible and then can file on travel inmsurance. Almost

guarantees no calims filed for luggage..

Sorry that this happened to you.

Did you have TSA approved locks on your luggage? We always lock our luggage -- don;t trust anyone and try to protect oursleves as best as possible.

Also we always keep all jewelry, valuables, cameras, and medications, etc. in our carryons which stay with us at all times.

Glad that your credit card company will reimburse you.

Was your suitcase locked? If not, it should have been! Never, ever leave your bags unlocked when they're not in your possession.

And never, ever put anything of any value into your checked bags!

Locks do not keep honest people out of other people's suitcases. All the lock does is secure a zipper. If someone wants into your suitcase, they will get into it in the blink of an eye. A cable tie secures your bag as well as anything is going to.

TSA locks are fine but give false sense of security IMO

I have been adised that luggage with Cruise Ship tags are frequently targetted by personnel at airports as people have: jewelry, souveneirs

and some of their best clothes. I believe this after having 2 bags dis-appear flying back from Rome. Bags tagged with our personal info, copy

of same in Bags, bible with name and address in suitcase. Never to be seen again. Filed on airlines first, got $1,300.00 limit at time. Travel insurance then required I file with "homeowners", hmmmm I have a $1,000.00 deductible and then can file on travel inmsurance. Almost

I totally agree. I always have my regular tags on the checked luggage, but take off the cruise tag at the airport. I also make sure that my carryon going home has nothing but my souvenirs and makeup, maybe one change of clothes. Checked luggage is dirty laundry and shoes.

Still use zip ties on it.

PLEASE read the FINE PRINT in your travel insurance policies. SOME are PRIMARY policies. It appears that you bought a SECONDARY policy which requires you to file with Homeowners, Medical, etc. etc. BEFORE the travel insurance policy pays off. I buy Travelex-TRUE PRIMARY coverage.

Probably the best way to lose luggage is to not remove tags that have no use for the flight you are going on. Airlines are not mind readers and have no idea which tag information to use.

Always remove old tags and scanner strips that are sometimes stuck to the bottom of your suitcase.

Of course, your bag may have been stolen at the airport and not mishandled by the airlines at all. Pity they don't have anyone checking claim checks any longer.

Back to the OP...no I have never had anything stolen from any suitcase, ever. I always lock my case, but pack small things that are easily stolen in my carry on, it's just common sense. Thieves have no idea my shoes are more costly than my Ipod, but I've always considered criminals to be not so bright if they have to resort to stealing.

just back from the Carribean on the Princess Emerald, and because of that metal check up at the airport, I put a watch that I bought on the ship in my luggage. When I opened my watch box at arrival! no more watch in the box!!

so there is only two place that someone had the chance to do so, letting the luggage at 10 pm to the Princess untill the next morning at the pier, or the TSI that put the TSI inspect sticker on my luggage!

it wasnt a very expensive one but it still unacceptable.

I can t beleive that some people doesnt have anything helse to do then to steel thing in the luggage! they could have taken my 2 bottle of liquor!

but I guess it was too big compare to a watch!

So just curious to see if I am the only one, Emerald Princess returned August 1st 2010.

It's not uncommon at all. TSA stole items out of our luggage at San Diego International Airport last October. They also left a sticker behind in our luggage.

I'd love to put some counterfeit money into my luggage and have some baggage handler steal if. The only bad part is I wouldn't be there to see them get arrested.

Rule of travel: Never put anything of value into your luggage. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. If it's valuable, it goes with me.

I'd love to put some counterfeit money into my luggage and have some baggage handler steal if. The only bad part is I wouldn't be there to see them get arrested.

Rule of travel: Never put anything of value into your luggage. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. If it's valuable, it goes with me.

They'll even steal items which you would never expect such as clothing. You can't carry everything on.

Cable ties prevent zips from opening, accidentally or otherwise but it's still very very easy to open a zip even if it is secured. A determined thief will get into a bag no matter what. So the answer is to remove temptation by not putting anything of value in checked in bags. Thieves also target expensive looking luggage thinking it contains expensive goodies! I take an older, biffed up bag and, touch wood, so far nothing has gone missing.

Never write your home address on a bag - it tells dishonest people that you are away from home. Just a name and phone number or perhaps an email address is sufficient.

I thought it was pure common sense not to pack anything of value in your checked luggage. My camera, flip video camera and jewelry fit in my purse. I never bring anything I cannot replace. I also take pictures of my luggage and save on to my phone, inside as I packed it before I leave and all angles of the luggage including the funky identification ribbon I use. So if I make any baggage claims I can prove what my luggage looks like. I also remove my memory card from my camera so if it does get stolen. I still got my vacation pics. My DH thinks I'm nuts but hey, if it happens it does.

Also remove any old airline luggage and cruise tags, so there's no mix up in destination. Also zipper pulls get damaged if they are zipped on the bottom always have them on top. Also zippers break if bags are over stuffed. which can happen

I never had anything stolen or had my luggage lost lost. knocking on wood it doesn't happen.

Travel insurance then required I file with "homeowners", hmmmm I have a $1,000.00 deductible and then can file on travel inmsurance. Almost guarantees no calims filed for luggage..
The insurance will be secondary to your homeowners, so it should cover the $1000 deductible.

Hi

I do not understand how lets say TSA employees can walk out of job. I remember I friend of mine worked at a department store the had to walk out of through security. If they had a bag it was sealed and searched if they bought something it was double bag and signed by a supervisor and they had to sign a form they were leaving. I don't understand why TSA does not check its employees for stolen goods. That is if they are the ones responsible. Now they talked they want us to check our carry on. With my camera equipment there is no way I will trust them. I be on the train. Sorry no trains across the pond if this goes into effect.

Mary

Generally never had anything, but maybe its because I never keep track of my dirty laundry. By the end of most of my trips the only thing in the checked luggage or stuff that is sitting outside my room the night before is dirty laundry :o

Hey, that's a great place to hide your valuables! stuff them in the middle of your dirty laundry bag. No one will want to search inside with dirty undies staring at them :)

Archived