Marriott Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel

We are arriving one day early for our Amsterdam - NYC cruise aboard the Eurodam and have a reservation at the Marriott Renaissance Hotel. We are scheduled to arrive in Amsterdam around 7:00am on Wed.,

and I am assuming that we will be at the hotel around 8:30 - 9:00am. Hotel check-in time is 3:00pm, does anyone know if the hotel allows for early check-in?

And if so, is there an extra charge? Thanks for any information that might be helpful.

Infrequentcruisers

We'll be there, too...are you on the Roll Call for the trip?

Usually the hotel will check you in if your room is ready, if not they'll hold your luggage and you can go out sightseeing until it's ready.

Looking forward to this cruise...

I stayed there on a HAL pre-cruise night, and my room was ready when I arrived. I don't recall the time, but it was early morning (maybe 9:00-ish?).

I don't know if it being a HAL booking made a difference.

We are arriving one day early for our Amsterdam - NYC cruise aboard the Eurodam and have a reservation at the Marriott Renaissance Hotel. We are scheduled to arrive in Amsterdam around 7:00am on Wed.,

and I am assuming that we will be at the hotel around 8:30 - 9:00am. Hotel check-in time is 3:00pm, does anyone know if the hotel allows for early check-in?

And if so, is there an extra charge? Thanks for any information that might be helpful.

Infrequentcruisers

Some do, some don't but's that's about the time when most east-bound airliners arrive at Schiphol airport after crossing the pond. If I were you, I'd contact the Marriott on line and put in a request for an early check-in. You're going to be tired due to jet lag, but Amsterdam is a great city to explore! If your room isn't ready yet, they will hold your bags. Consider taking a "rondvaartboot," a cruise through A'dam's canals and harbor on one of the many sightseeing boats with glass-enclosed roofs (You'll find them off the 'Damrak' that runs in front of the 'Centraal Station' (Central Railroad station in downtown). Amsterdam's public transportation via tram is easy and most everybody speaks English. Have a great cruise!

It depends on whether there are rooms available. Weekends are worse as hotel is always fully booked and you have to wait until someone checkout and they make the room (slower on weekend). I stay there about 30% of the time. I prefer the JW Marriott as it is closer to the museum district and better restaurants.

Most cases when arriving on a Sunday morning I will be in a room by noon. But as one poster suggested -- request an early check in.

We flew into AMS from ATL last October on a Friday morning. Went to the Amsterdam Ren, and checked in -- probably arrived at hotel around 9:30 or 10:00 AM. No problem gettting an immediate check-in. Not sure if it would have been that easy if I hadn't been a Platinum Elite member of the Marriott Rewards program.

By the way, it's a nice place, in a great location.

Enjoy!

AG

The tall ships festival "Sail Amsterdam" may have hotels heavily booked. It would be good to inquire early about a morning check-in. In situations such as this we generally book the night before for an early "Red Eye" check in. We have that arrangement with the Marriott on Liedseplein on August 17th. As a footnote, when that hotel opened in the late 1970's I stayed there for about one week each quarter of the year. and the room rate was $49usd per night. Not so today!

The tall ships festival "Sail Amsterdam" may have hotels heavily booked. It would be good to inquire early about a morning check-in. In situations such as this we generally book the night before for an early "Red Eye" check in. We have that arrangement with the Marriott on Liedseplein on August 17th. As a footnote, when that hotel opened in the late 1970's I stayed there for about one week each quarter of the year. and the room rate was $49usd per night. Not so today!

Excellent choice! The Leidseplein (Leiden Square) is in a vibrant part of the town

I know cost is an issue but the best way to have your room ready for you when you arrive after a tiring trans-atlantic, all night flight is to book the room for the night before. We have done that and advised the hotel we will not be checking in until the morning but, of course, seeing we paid for the room the night before, we can go directly to our room when we reach the hotel.

Just a suggestion for anyone who thinks the additional money is worth it.

Since it will depend on what time other hotelguests will check-out and the time staff need to clean the rooms I doubt any hotel will give guarantees about what time you can checkin.

If rooms are ready I am sure the hotel will gladly have you check in early.

In case the room isnot ready they will keep your luggage and you will have time to visit Amsterdam.

Be aware that on Augusut 19th-26th the big 5-yearly event Sail Amsterdam takes places. That brings more tourists and many locals to town, so around those days the city will be more busy then ever.

(That also is the reason why Eurodam on August 19th will not dock in town, but about 10 miles west at Ceres terminal. NO public transporation to that terminal!)

My husband and I stayed here in 2006 and I thought it was a great location and a nice hotel. We got there before three and they held our bags for us so we could tour the town. We went to the Heinekin Brewery and did the tour and then had a late lunch at the cafe at the hotel. I think if your room is ready early they will let you check in early. It just depends how busy they are when you are there. We stay at Marriott's all the time and they do not charge a fee to check in early. Have a fun trip!

Archived