Jeans?

USAF&wife

Yes, thank you. I have learned that throughout this thread. I was actually referring more to the outfit of jeans and a t-shirt.

On Carnival, for non elegant nights, there is no prohibition of t-shirts in the MDR. So, jeans and t-shirt on non elegant night is acceptable per the dress code.

Pennypocket, Your sarcastic comments are truly not helpful.

It is your stereotype that assumes that people who like to dress casually have no education and/or no money. The truth is quite different!

If you read my posts carefully I have never said that peopel who dress poorly are not educated or have no money. You are the one who assumes this level of judgement.What I have said is that they dress like they have no money and that they do not understand that the finer things in life such as a finely decorated dining room set with china silverware and staffed by uniformed wait staff deserve better than jeans and a "T" shirt. But then again we are dealing with the entitlement generations who do what they please where they please with nary a care for anyone else.

If you read my posts carefully I have never said that peopel who dress poorly are not educated or have no money. You are the one who assumes this level of judgement.What I have said is that they dress like they have no money and that they do not understand that the finer things in life such as a finely decorated dining room set with china silverware and staffed by uniformed wait staff deserve better than jeans and a "T" shirt. But then again we are dealing with the entitlement generations who do what they please where they please with nary a care for anyone else.

I disagree with the finer things in life sentence. Do you realize, that on Carnival's Elegant night, the waiters wear fruit and drinks on their head, parade around in this rediculous outfit in a conga line, have pirates roaming around taking pictures, and waiters dancing on the service tables to FloRida's Low. Not that elegant to me.

OP,

You will find there will be a wide array of clothing in the MDR on casual nights. I never take jeans because they are too hot for me. In addition, they are heavy in my luggage and I try to travel as light as possible. My husband and my sister always have their jeans. It is very much personal preference and I am sure you will be fine. DO NOT feel you need to go buy resort wear, etc. During the day, you will see swim suits, shorts, t-shirts, etc. In the evening, people wear what they would at home to go to any normal restaurant (that isn't the same for everyone). Even on formal nights, you will see some formals/tux but many who just look like they are going to church, a nice wedding, etc. (any event you would dress up for). As long as you are reasonably within the guidelines, you will be fine and fit right in.

You will likely find you will take far more than you actually need. Relax and enjoy the experience! Chances are you will never see one person from the ship again.

Suggest you try NCL. It is the working man's line. Park the pick up at the pier and wear what you have on from work and you will be better dressed than many on board. Go and enjoy.

I am still so curious about the different lines. On the non-working man's lines do you have to be a man or can women go too? Do you have to have never worked or just currently be non-working. On the working man's lines -- is it for full-time workers or can part-time workers qualify. Do you need to bring a copy of your pay slip to get on the ship? What if you don't own a pickup? Can you park your Lexus at the pier?

On Carnival, for non elegant nights, there is no prohibition of t-shirts in the MDR. So, jeans and t-shirt on non elegant night is acceptable per the dress code.

Doesn't the dress code only say collared sport shirts (according to Keksie's post earlier)? Forgive my ignorance....I'm not real familiar with Carnival. :o

I was going to try not to get involved in these "nice" jeans and "what is a t-shirt" discusions. "Nice" is such a subjective term that it is essentially meaningless; and if someone does not know when a t-shirt is a t-shirt, trying to discuss appropriate dress is futile.

Just check with your cruise line: in the material sent to passengers, each one sets forth in general terms what is expected and when. Because the ships' security personnel have better things to do then enforce dress codes, you can probably get away with wearing whatever you want, whenever you want.

After all, it is your vacation and no one will force you to wear what you do not want to wear; however, what makes life more pleasant for your fellows generally involves following requested standards.

Enjoy your cruise -and remember, it is other people's cruises as well.

Doesn't the dress code only say collared sport shirts (according to Keksie's post earlier)? Forgive my ignorance....I'm not real familiar with Carnival. :o

Here is the dress code for Carnival. You can wear t shirts on non elegant nights. For elegant nights, they are prohibited.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Honestly, jeans are fine in the dining room on Carnival, even on elegant evenings. I'm in the group that considers the Caribbean too warm for jeans (and it's a personal thing because I get hot easily), but I have certainly traveled in them to and from a cruise. I would steer away from from logo-tees with them for the dining room in the evenings.

If you do decide to buy a few collared shirts for your DH, just a couple would do. Change into them for dinner, hang them up afterward, and wear it again for another evening.

Regarding working men, the finer things in life and dress standards, I wore suit or jacket and tie most every day of my fully employed life, which came to an end in December 2002. Since then I have put on ties maybe 20 times, six of those on dress-up-or-not nights aboard NCL ships including the avatar over there snapped by a wait person aboard the Norwegian Sun. (Mostly now, including on my small job making deliveries for a florist, I wear jeans, polo shirts and running shoes.)

Found the following on CC:

Cruise Line Dress Codes

Home > Features > At Your Service > Cruise Line Dress Codes

Few issues create as much confusion or contention among cruisers as what to wear to dinner -- and, more importantly, what others wear to dinner. As cruises and cruisers have become more diverse, so has dress -- both what cruise lines ask us to wear, and what we actually wear. And the more diverse our dress is, the more we argue about it! Just take a look at the dress code-related discussions on our message boards, but be forewarned: anything involving dress codes is likely to have its fair share of vitriol!

Just about every cruise line has a dress code of some type. Except for the occasional nudist charter, they all at least agree that clothing is required! But from there on, dress codes range from those where dressing for dinner means putting on a clean T-shirt to those where any male passenger not in a tuxedo might as well be wearing nothing at all.

And for every dress code, there are those who try to bend the rules. If a tuxedo is required you'll find those who want to get by with just a suit; if all the cruise line asks it that you don't wear shorts, you can count on someone trying to wear them anyway. Those who follow the dress code to the letter often complain of lax enforcement, and truth be told, many cruise lines do seem loath to turn people away, especially for minor infractions. There are plenty of stories of people in shorts and T-shirts when at least a suit and tie is supposed to be required -- but lax enforcement isn't universal; at least on some ships, people do get turned away from the dining room.

Once upon a time, it wasn't so complicated. On cruise ships and in first class on ocean liners, formal dress was absolutely required after 6 p.m. -- not just in the dining room, but in all the public rooms as well. Until the 1920's, men invariably wore white tie, and ladies evening gowns. The dress code was set for every night of the voyage, and only the truly brazen would dare flout it -- and usually wound up being sent to their cabins as a result. Then things gradually became less formal, with black tie slowly making inroads until, in the post-war years, it was the expected dress for men.

But with the advent of modern cruising beginning in the 1960's, things began to change radically. New budget cruise lines, whose ships were often second-hand and third-rate, appealed a new type of passenger that didn't own formal dress. Meanwhile, major ships began designating formal and informal evenings. But right into the 1990's, dress codes for the most part remained rigidly defined and enforced, though certainly less so than in the past; there was little confusion or debate about what to wear when.

The late 1990's and early 2000's, however, brought a marked change in the dress code scene. As more and more cruise lines turned their focus to first-time cruisers, and as society in general became more casual, big cruise lines began to loosen their dress codes. Many made it apply only to the main dining room -- not the other public rooms at night -- while NCL, as part of its Freestyle Cruising initiative, was the first to make formal nights "optional." This resulted in jubilation for some and consternation for others -- but either way, as different lines tried to find their way in this new landscape, it certainly created a huge increase in the dress codes variation, and placed shipboard staff in the uncomfortable position of having to deal with (or deciding not to deal with) ever more violations from passengers who were confused or just didn't want to comply ("It's my vacation and nobody is going to tell me how to dress!").

Unfortunately, it's impossible to predict just how much you'll get away with on a particular night on a particular ship, or exactly what your fellow passengers will actually be wearing -- enforcement really comes down to the whim of whoever is standing at the door at that moment, and as for others' dress, it depends on the passenger mix on your particular cruise. What we can tell you is what each cruise line says you should wear:

Azamara Club Cruises

The Code: Azamara's dress code is "resort casual"; acceptable attire includes sportswear, golf shirts, shorts, pants, and jacket (if desired, but not required) for men and sportswear, shorts, casual dresses, skirts and pants for women.

Number of Formal Nights: The line says "guests should feel comfortable in wearing formal attire if they so desire," but there are no formal nights. Also, no tuxedo rentals are available onboard.

Nightly Casual Option: All restaurants are "resort casual," but Windows Cafe, the buffet option allows for an even more relaxed option.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: No bare feet, tank tops, caps, bathing suits, or jeans are allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants. It's in writing. No jeans in the dining room or specialty restaurants, but jeans are OK in the buffet.

Carnival Cruise Line

The Code: Carnival will change its dress code this spring. Currently, most ships have formal and casual dress codes. Formal dress includes tuxedo, suit and tie, or jacket and tie for men and evening gown, cocktail dress or pantsuit for women. Casual wear means sport shirts and slacks for men and dresses, skirts or pantsuits for women.

The new dress code is being tested on two ships and will roll out fleetwide in mid-May. Cruise casual dress includes sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), long dress shorts and collared sport shirts for men, and casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, capri pants, dress shorts and jeans (no cut-offs) for women. Cruise elegant dress means dress slacks, dress shirts and sport coat (suggested not required) for men and cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses for women. On elegant nights, passengers may choose to dress more formally in suits and ties, tuxedos or evening gowns, but this level of dress is not required.

Number of Formal Nights: There are two formal nights per seven-night cruise, one on shorter cruises. Cruise elegant nights will replace formal nights under the new system.

Nightly Casual Option: For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Under the new dress codes, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans and sleeveless shirts for men are the only items of clothing never permitted in the dining room during dinner.

Celebrity Cruises

The Code: Celebrity's Web site states that you'll need three types of clothes for a cruise. "Day wear" is comprised of slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts, swimsuit cover up. "conservative port wear" is casual, with skirt and blouse, or pants outfit suggested for women and casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts for men. "Eveningwear" is broken down into three categories: For men "casual nights" includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress. On "informal nights," men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and tie, while women may want to wear a suit or dress. "Formal nights, both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.

Number of Formal Nights: The number of "formal," "informal" and "casual" nights depends on the length of your sailing. See Celebrity's dress code chart for details.

Nightly Casual Option: Casual dining is offered most nights on every cruise, depending upon the itinerary, and is served in the Palm Springs Grill and pool area on the Mercury and at the Oasis Grill and pool area on the Galaxy. On the Century casual dining is available in the Sky Bar. On our newest ships, casual dining is offered at the Seaside Grill and pool on the Constellation, the Oceanview Grill and pool area on the Infinity, the Ocean Grill on the Millennium and the Waterfall Grill on the Summit.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: No jeans on "informal" and "formal" nights are allowed in the dining room.

Costa Cruises

The Code: Most nights are informal, with "resort wear" appropriate; jackets are not required.

Number of Formal Nights: There are two formal nights per Caribbean cruise and one or two per European sailings, depending on length. A suit for men and a cocktail dress for women is recommended.

Nightly Casual Option: The standard buffet option is available for diners wishing for an even more relaxed vibe.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Though Costa does not reference jeans directly in their written policy, denim is allowed in the dining room, according to a spokesperson.

Crystal Cruises

The Code: Crystal has formal, informal and casual dress codes. Formal attire includes a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit and tie for men and an evening dress or gown for women. Informal attire, which applies to most evenings, means a suit or jacket for men (tie optional) and cocktail dress or pantsuit for women. Casual attire includes sport shirts and slacks for men and casual dress or pantsuit for women.

Number of Formal Nights: Typically, 10- to 14-night cruises have three formal nights, but with such a wide range of sailings, the number of formal nights can be quite variable (depending on number of sea days, among other things).

Nightly Casual Option: The Lido Cafe is only open for breakfast and lunch, and the casual Trident Grill closes each evening at six. Unless they like to dine early, it is possible that guests will have to rely on room service for a truly casual option (and especially on formal night!).

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Jeans, shorts, casual slacks, sport shirts and caps or baseball hats are not permitted in the dining room or specialty restaurants after 6 p.m.

Cunard Line

The Code: Cunard has formal, semi-formal and elegant casual dress codes. Formal attire means black tie or formal dark suit for men and evening dress for women. Semi-formal attire includes jacket and tie for men and cocktail dress or pantsuit for women. Elegant casual attire means jacket (no tie required) for men and dress, skirt or trousers for women. The dress code applies throughout the public areas in the evening.

Number of Formal Nights: A six-night crossing will typically feature two casual nights, three formal nights and one informal night.

Nightly Casual Option: Though Cunard ships generally have a more elegant vibe, each vessel has a more casual option during the evening. Waiter service is added in the evenings to the daytime buffet area.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Shorts and swimsuits may not be worn in the ships' main restaurants.

Disney Cruise Line

The Code: Disney has formal, semi-formal, "dress-up" and casual nights; "dress-up" applies to three- and four-night cruises and formal and semi-formal to longer cruises. Formal means tuxedo or suit for men and gown or dress for women. Semi-formal means suit or jacket for men and dress or pantsuit for women. “Dress-up” means jacket for men and dress or pantsuit for women. Most cruises include one or more theme nights such as pirate or tropical.

The dress code applies to the main dining rooms at dinner. For Palo (specialty restaurant), a dress shirt or jacket for men and dress or pantsuit for women is appropriate regardless of night.

Number of Formal Nights: Three- and four-night cruises feature one "dress-up" night, where men are encouraged to wear jackets and women pantsuits or dresses. A seven-night cruise features one formal night.

Nightly Casual Option: On Disney's family-geared vessels, there is no shortage of casual options. So if little Tina refuses to get dressed up, the laid-back buffet will be there for her.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Casual dress is unspecified, except that shorts, swimwear and tank tops are prohibited in the dining room.

Fred. Olsen Cruise Line

The Code: The normal evening dress code requires that men wear a jacket and tie and women are dressed in "informally smart" attire. On formal nights, men wear black tie and cocktail or evening dress for women. The dress code applies to the restaurants at dinner.

Number of Formal Nights: As a guideline there are usually four formal nights on a two-week cruise. On all Caribbean cruises the dress code is comprised of three formal nights two themed nights nine smart/casual nights.

Nightly Casual Option: From a Fred. Olsen spokeswoman: "The informal restaurant is in operation every night, which will give the option of informal dress when the code in the main restaurants is formal. However, 'informal' is proper trousers, not jeans, and shirts with collar. The majority of our guests who will have dressed formally will not be happy if they are then in lounges or bars after dinner in the formal wear, and the party at the next table is dressed in T-shirt and jeans! So the optional code for formal night is informal, not casual.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: No swimwear is ever allowed in the dining room.

Holland America

The Code: Holland America has formal and smart casual evenings. Formal dress includes a tuxedo or dark suit and tie for men, and smart casual means sport shirt or sweater and slacks for men and skirt or trousers and blouse or sweater for women. The dress code applies throughout the ship in the evening.

Number of Formal Nights: There are approximately two formal nights per week.

Nightly Casual Option: The casual buffet option and room service are available for guests not wishing to get dolled up.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. Jeans are not expressly mentioned.

Majestic America Line

The Code: Dinner attire is informal. Sport shirts, sport jacket or sweater and slacks are suggested for men and dresses, sweaters, slacks and pantsuits for women. For the Captain's Farwell Dinner some men wear a suit or jacket and tie (optional) and women a cocktail dress or dressy pantsuit.

Number of Formal Nights: The Captain's Farewell Dinner is dress-up optional. That's really as formal as Majestic America cruises get.

Nightly Casual Option: There's always a nightly casual option.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: No restrictions are explicitly stated, but it's unlikely that Majestic America Line's older-skewing clientele will arrive at dinner where a wet bathing suit.

MSC Cruises

The Code: "Casual resort wear" is appropriate except for formal evenings where men should wear a suit or jacket and tie, and women a cocktail dress.

Number of Formal Nights: There's one on four- to six-night cruises, two on 7- to 11-night cruises, and four on cruises 15 nights or longer.

Nightly Casual Option: The standard Lido buffet (and of course room service) will serve guests wishing for a more low-key dining experience.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: After 6 p.m., jeans, T-shirts, shorts and bare feet are not permitted in the ships' public areas.

Norwegian Cruise Line

The Code: NCL, and sub-brand NCL America, have no formal dress code. For dinner, collared shirts and pants or "nice" jeans are suggested for men, and slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts, and tops for women. Suggested dress applies to dinner in all restaurants.

Number of Formal Nights: There are no official formal nights. One restaurant each night is reserved for those who want to "dress up," but no dress code is specified.

Nightly Casual Option: It's all casual, save for the one restaurant that's been reserved as a spot for potentially dressing up.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Swimwear is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant -- so long as you put on a cover-up.

Ocean Village

The Code: Ocean Village is an informal, unconventional cruise line and therefore there is no dress code in operation onboard either of Ocean Village's cruise ships. People can wear whatever they want at any time of the day. "Smart casual" dress is suggested for the Bistro.

Number of Formal Nights: There are no formal nights on Ocean Village cruises.

Nightly Casual Option: All venues, most notably the 24-hour buffet, are casual, even the Bistro.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: There are no written restrictions, but passengers are asked to cover up when eating or drinking inside.

P&O Cruises

The Code: P&O has formal, semi-formal and smart casual nights. Formal attire includes a dinner jacket or tuxedo (or alternatively dark suit or kilt and jacket) for men and a ball gown, trouser suit or cocktail dress for women. Semi-formal attire includes jacket and tie for men and anything from tailored trousers to smart separates or an elegant dress for women. Casual attire includes open-neck or polo shirts and trousers or smart jeans for men and casual separates, dresses or smart jeans for women.

Number of Formal Nights: Seven-night cruises average two formal nights; 14-night cruises average four.

Nightly Casual Option: If you're not inclined to dress up for formal evening, P&O has you covered with casual dining venues on its ships.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Sportswear is prohibited in the evenings.

Princess Cruises

The Code: Princess has formal and smart casual nights. Formal attire is a tuxedo, dinner jacket or suit for men and evening gown or cocktail dress for women. Smart casual attire includes pants and open-neck shirts for men and skirts/dresses, slacks and sweaters for women.

Number of Formal Nights: Three- to six-day cruises have one formal evening; 7- to 13-day cruise two; 14- to 20-day cruises have three; 21- to 28-day cruises have four; cruises of 29 days and more have a minimum of five.

Nightly Casual Option: Like the other mainstream lines, guest wishing to avoid the dressy evenings and still eat dinner will have no trouble doing so. Just head to the casual buffet venue on your ship.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts and halter tops are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times. Jeans were previously part of this list of prohibited items, but they were recently taken off.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

The Code: The dress code is almost always elegant casual after 6 p.m. Skirts or slacks paired with blouses or sweaters, pant suits or dresses are acceptable for ladies, while men should wear slacks and collared shirts. Sport jackets are optional. On formal optional nights, passengers can either wear elegant casual attire or opt for a more formal look (gowns, cocktail dresses, dark suits or tuxedos).

Number of Formal Nights: Voyages of 16 nights or longer have two or more formal optional nights. Shorter cruises are always elegant casual. World Cruise or Grand Voyage passengers should check their cruise documents for specific dress codes.

Nightly Casual Option: On Seven Seas Voyager and Seven Seas Mariner, the La Veranda restaurant offers a casual dinner option for guests on formal nights. On Seven Seas Navigator, the Portofino Il Ristorante restaurant offers a casual dinner option for guests on formal nights.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Jeans, T-shirts, baseball caps, shorts, sneakers and bathrobes are not allowed in any public area after 6 p.m.

Royal Caribbean International

The Code: Royal Caribbean has formal, smart casual and casual nights. Formal attire includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women. Smart casual attire includes jackets and ties for men and dresses or pantsuits for women. Casual attire includes sport shirts and slacks for men and sundresses or pantsuits for women.

Number of Formal Nights: Three-, four- and five-night cruises have one formal night; 6- to 12-night cruises have two formal nights; and 13- and 14-night cruises have three formal nights.

Nightly Casual Option: The Windjammer cafe is the laid-back evening choice -- though it still has some restrictions: No bare feet are allowed. Tank tops and caps are not allowed during dinner.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: No bare feet, caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in the dining room. Shorts are not allowed during dinner.

From the keyboard of a Royal Caribbean spokesperson: "As long as the jeans are tasteful with no blemishing, tears or mis-sizing, the guest will more than likely make it through the doors. In this day and age of fashion, there are designer jeans that are very expensive. As a contemporary cruise line, we will not limit our guests on their choice to put their best 'fashion foot' forward as long as it meets our basic standards below. The maitre d', however, does reserve the right to request that an inappropriately dressed guest change their attire before being seated."

Seabourn Cruise Line

The Code: Seabourn has formal, elegant casual and casual evenings. Formal attire includes a tuxedo (or dark suit) for men and evening gown or other formal attire for women. Elegant casual attire includes slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men and skirt or slacks with sweater or blouse for women. The dress code applies to the Restaurant after 6 p.m.

Number of Formal Nights: There are two nights during a one-week cruise and three to four nights, depending on the itinerary, on a two-week cruise. Of course, as Seabourn offers a range of itineraries, dress code depends to an extent on where you're sailing.

Nightly Casual Option: The ships' buffet venues, which have incidentally earned high marks for food, transform in the evenings into casual dining options.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: There are no written restrictions, but with the elegant atmosphere of the ship, you're unlikely to see too many sloppily clad guests.

Windstar Cruises

The Code: Windstar has no formal dress code. For dinner, the line suggests slacks and collared shirts or polos for men and sundresses, slacks and informal cocktail dresses for women.

Number of Formal Nights: There are no formal nights.

Nightly Casual Option: While there is no requirement to wear a suit and tie, Windstar cruisers tend to dress resort casual.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Shorts, jeans and T-shirts are prohibited in The Restaurant, Degrees (specialty eatery) and the public rooms during the evening.

--by Douglas Newman, a maritime writer in New York specializing in passenger ships and ferries.

WOW!!!

:D Thanks bunches to all of you that answered my question with respect and consideration - I truly appreciate it!

Some of the responses are the prime reason we have never taken a cruise before. I believe my friends call them "cruise snobs".

The whole reason I asked the question was because I have seen posts all over the web that people hated seeing others in jeans and how inappropriate it was. Although Carnival's dress code states they are ok, I did not want to feel out of place or make others feel uncomfortable around us. I was taught it is better to be over dressed, but I also want to be able to relax and enjoy our vacation.

We are both retired(my DH from the Air Force and myself as an Accountant). We have been saving for our retirement; so no, we don't have a closest full of resort clothing. We live near the coast and our wardrobes are jeans in various colors and no collar knit shirts (what I call t-shirts, because I was always taught that a shirt is a t-shirt because when you lay it out, it looks like a T). :rolleyes: I guess that is old fashion.

Maybe I can find some sales and get us some "resort wear".

Thanks again to those that have been so helpful,

Tamara

wife

....That said, you probably will see a few men wearing T shirts and shorts, they just look a bit out of place. It doesn't bother me to see it, I just wonder at how people want to be perceived :confused:

I don't think about *being perceived*. Except now I wonder if people wonder how I want to be perceived.

I'm interviewing for jobs and am of course Suiting Up for that, but on vacation, how someone else perceives me is pretty much their problem. I do dress at least to dress code if not better. And probably you will perceive a not keen fashion sense.

...Maybe I can find some sales and get us some "resort wear".

If you have a Burlington Coat Factory, TJ Maxx or Marshalls around, try those. you may find some quality clothing cheap or you may find factory seconds, but prices will be rock bottom. figure a budget for each of you and you can maybe fill up giant bags on it.

Please don't worry too much about what you read on the web about people's feeling about what people wear on cruises. As long as you read your cruiselines dress code and follow its code all really will be fine;) You won't feel out of place and those around you won't make you feel out of place.

Anything beyond the dress code is simply people's personal opinion written on a message board and represents a very small porton of the cruising public's opinion. There will always be what you called cruise snobs but do you really care what that small segment of the public thinks?? I hope not.:)

The only time on Carnival that jeans are requested not to be worn in the MDR's is on Cruise Elegant nights so if you think you will want to go to the main MDR that night take one pair of good pants and a nice shirt for your DH and a dress or shirt and top or nicer pair of pants and top for yourself. No need to purchase lots of clothes that you don't think you will wear at home. On the other hand, you just may become addicted to cruising and if that's the case, just a couple of new purchases will get you ready for all the cruises to come in your future :) Whatever we pack for wearing to the dining room in the evening always has the rule of wearing it twice so on a short cruise like you're taking you shouldn't need to prepare a lot of different outfits for whatever you decide to wear to the MDR.

Hope you enjoy every minute of your cruise!:)

Ecstasy is a fun, laid back ship. Jeans in the dining room are perfectly fine. (Not just because I said so, it's now in the suggested guidelines). Lots and lots of Texans on those Galveston sailings, so you WILL see lots of jeans. Not raggedy, worn out work jeans; nice ones. I'm sure you know what I mean. (Some on here will say there's no such thing as "nice jeans"; but I think they're just being obtuse on purpose!)

Sorry, but jeans ARE 'in fashion'. Fashion is simply the prevailing custom or style and for the past 20 years or so, it has been acceptable to wear jeans in all but the most formal or professional of occasions. I think there is somewhat a generational gap here as younger folks are more comfortable wearing jeans in certain situations that older folks but that does not mean its wrong, out of fashion, or unacceptable. Its not snobbery..its simply that what one person sees as fashionable depends very much on what they see as the 'style' and that can be different to different folks.

When I was a kid, we would never wear jeans to church but I wear them all the time now and I see many other people my age and younger wearing them (I am in my late 40s). I might even wear them out to dinner if they were black and with a fancy top.

As for hot, not all jeans are hot. Living in Florida, I often wear jeans in the summer. I probably wouldn't wear them in the Caribbean if I have to spend a lot of time walking outside in the sun, but I might wear them on the cruiseship or on the plane if they have enough stretch to them to be comfortable. :)

Not raggedy, worn out work jeans; nice ones. I'm sure you know what I mean. (Some on here will say there's no such thing as "nice jeans"; but I think they're just being obtuse on purpose!)

I agree with you. DW and I do not pack jeans on our cruises, but...

DW looks better in a nice pair of jeans than a lot of women look in their formal dresses.

I have stylish jeans that look very good with a linen button down shirt and sport coat.

So yes, I agree with you that jeans can look very good. It seems some people can only think of dusty, torn, old Wranglers when the topic of jeans comes up.

When they say "no t-shirts" they are trying to keep some of those nasty t-shirts with questionable sayings or graphics out of the main dining room. They also don't want men wearing underwear type t-shirts in the MDR. On one Carnival cruise, a young man tried to get into the dining room with a black t-shirt with some very nasty graphics on it. He was asked to leave the dining room and come back with a different shirt. Polo shirts or golf shirts are what most men wear on casual nights.

Archived