Jeans?

USAF&wife

We are baby boomers who grew up in jeans and still live in them. Planning our first cruise and worried about dress codes.

Planing on taking the Ecstasy to try a cheap short cruise to see if we like it. The dress codes for this ship seem to vary from website to website.

Can we wear jeans (except for the fancy dinner)?

Have also seen that we can not wear t-shirts in the dinning rooms. What do they consider t-shirts?

Thanks!

Tamara

wife

We don't wear jeans in the Caribbean...too hot. However, contrary to popular opinion, if you look at most mainstream cruiseline's dress guidelines, there is no mention of jeans being forbidden in the dining room at dinner time. (usually, just shorts, TShirts and caps). By TShirts, they generally mean loose fitting, wrinkled cotton shirts with logo's on them. Crew neck or VNeck solid cotton shirts that fit nicely are just fine.

I generally wear pull-on cotton capri pants with a cotton shirt to dinner on casual night. My husband wears docker-style pants with a cotton shirt.

Thanks for the help.

We are planning a fall trip.

I hate to buy a bunch of clothes that we will never use again just for one trip. Neither of us will be hot in jeans - we live in the south and I guess just use to it.

Thanks,

Tamara

wife

Carnival's dress code is below. As you can see on cruise casual nights jeans are included as what is appropriate. I don't know why people are saying no. The dining rooms are air conditioned so the temperature outside really has no effect on wearing jeans to dinner.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats

I, too wear jeans all winter, but never in the summer! Too humid and hot for denim! Lightweight slacks for men, and capris for women are much more comfortable! And, in these days of baggage restrictions (if you're flying), jeans simply are too heavy! But, you won't be turned away if you have them on.

Thanks for the help.

I hate to buy a bunch of clothes that we will never use again just for one trip. Neither of us will be hot in jeans - we live in the south and I guess just use to it.

Thanks,

Tamara

wife

It is likely that you will become as addicted to cruising as the rest of us. So if you go out and buy clothing it will not be a waste. These new duds will become your cruise wear. ;)

Jonathan

We are from the deep South and we love our jeans. We would however, never, ever pack a pair of jeans for a cruise. They would probably not turn you away at the door of the MDR, but the suggested dress code doesn't mention jeans. I'm surprised you would have to buy a new wardrobe to be able to dress in something other than jeans for a week. T-shirts are usually cotton with a round neck and no collar. You can get by with a few polo shirts and khaki slacks (men) rotated at dinnertime. Shorts (cargo or otherwise) and t-shirts are fine at breakfast or lunch..even jeans. But at night in the MDR, you are in an elegant room with waiters in a tux. Jeans are just out of place, but as I said, you likely wouldn't get thrown out.

We are from the deep South and we love our jeans. We would however, never, ever pack a pair of jeans for a cruise. They would probably not turn you away at the door of the MDR, but the suggested dress code doesn't mention jeans. I'm surprised you would have to buy a new wardrobe to be able to dress in something other than jeans for a week. T-shirts are usually cotton with a round neck and no collar. You can get by with a few polo shirts and khaki slacks (men) rotated at dinnertime. Shorts (cargo or otherwise) and t-shirts are fine at breakfast or lunch..even jeans. But at night in the MDR, you are in an elegant room with waiters in a tux. Jeans are just out of place, but as I said, you likely wouldn't get thrown out.

Not true.........the dress code SPECIFICALLY mentions jeans are acceptable on Cruise Casual nights.

I don't know if those of you that are saying they aren't part of the dress code have never sailed Carnival or have just not read the dress code or any of the numerous threads that discuss this issue.

And to the OP I have seen many men wearing T-shirts in the MDR at dinner, but they will turn you away if you have on a sleeveless T or one with holes in it.

From Carnival website:

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

We are baby boomers who grew up in jeans and still live in them. Planning our first cruise and worried about dress codes.

Planing on taking the Ecstasy to try a cheap short cruise to see if we like it. The dress codes for this ship seem to vary from website to website.

Have also seen that we can not wear t-shirts in the dinning rooms. What do they consider t-shirts?

Thanks!

Tamara

wife

I think you are referring only to the evening dinners, not day time temps, right? As much as people don't like them, jeans are worn to dinner now. Try to wear nice ones, like what you would wear in the evening at home, not the ones you would wear to do yardwork.

A T shirt means just that, a crew neck shirt with short sleeves, regardless of the color or design on it. Something you wear as casual day wear. Your husband would look great in a collared shirt (like a camp shirt), no need to go tropical, or a polo styled shirt...just something with a collar.

That said, you probably will see a few men wearing T shirts and shorts, they just look a bit out of place. It doesn't bother me to see it, I just wonder at how people want to be perceived :confused:

Not to worry, you don't need to go out and spend a fortune. My husband will wear the same shirt a couple times to dinner on a cruise. We do have it laundered in between wearings if it gets dirty. I think the person who mentioned that you may get hooked on cruising is correct...so that one or two shirts you purchased for the cruise may get more wear than you think :)

People who are stating jeans are too hot for day wear are correct, if you are cruising to a warm weather port you will absolutely be too hot in jeans, so take at least one pair of shorts. T shirts are fine for day wear.

Have fun!

I don't travel with jeans because they are way too heavy. Also you can't wash them out in the sink and expect them to dry.

Look to a variety of clothing items that are easier for travel such as the Chico's line for women and non-cotton slacks for men.

Jeans and nice top even a t-shirt will suffice for Breakfast/lunch and non-formal dinner. At dinner a blouse or polo type shirt sans tennis shoes will probably be the minimum I'd recommend.

The fashion police will be out and publish the guidelines etc. but the reality is unless you are really shaggy looking you'll likely not get turned away on any of the mainstream lines; RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, etc.

Thanks!

Tamara

wife

Thanks for the help.

Thanks,

Tamara

wife

You probably know what a t-shirt is and most ships do not want them in the dining room in the evening. Why not wear a polo jersey (a jersey with a collar) and you will be more appropriate. Certainly you can wear a polo jersey in your regular, everyday casual life.

You say you are traveling in the fall and I assure you the Caribbean is hot year round. The temperature does not change much throughout the year but the level of humidity raises in the summer and into fall.

Jeans are very hot in the Caribbean and most people avoid them.

You probably know what a t-shirt is and most ships do not want them in the dining room in the evening. Why not wear a polo jersey (a jersey with a collar) and you will be more appropriate. Certainly you can wear a polo jersey in your regular, everyday casual life.

You say you are traveling in the fall and I assure you the Caribbean is hot year round. The temperature does not change much throughout the year but the level of humidity raises in the summer and into fall.

Jeans are very hot in the Caribbean and most people avoid them.

Please note. All the rooms in the ship are air conditioned. So while it may be hot in the Caribbean the interior of the ship is not. From my experience most people do not avoid jeans.

Please note. All the rooms in the ship are air conditioned. So while it may be hot in the Caribbean the interior of the ship is not. From my experience most people do not avoid jeans.

Must be that we are sailing different ships/cruise lines.

We see very, very few jeans in dining room on HAL ships. They are permitted on Smart Casual nights but almost no one wears them.

I am taking nice jeans on my upcoming cruise. Mine are not hot at all and they are comfortable. I think many people think of faded blue jeans with holes in them but jeans are so much more now days. If you are comfortable and you look nice in the jeans, bring them. It looks like they are acceptable on your cruise.

DW refused to allow me to take any jeans on our Norwegian Sun Baltic cruise. I saw no other gentleman aboard who did not wear jeans most of the time. As pennypocket observes, NCL is -- if not exactly the working-man's line -- less exacting about fashion.

The OP said she is sailing on the Escasty which is owned by Carnival. The Escasty sails out of Galveston on 4 and 5 day runs so I am sure she and her Air Force husband will be right at home on casual night, in jeans, in the main dining room. I always said here that jeans are jeans and do not belond in the main dining room but after sailing on The Conquest I changed my mind. A nice pair of jeans with nice top does not look tacky.

Must be that we are sailing different ships/cruise lines.

We see very, very few jeans in dining room on HAL ships. They are permitted on Smart Casual nights but almost no one wears them.

The OP was asking about the Carnival Ecstasy. Not a HAL ship.

Suggest you try NCL. It is the working man's line. Park the pick up at the pier and wear what you have on from work and you will be better dressed than many on board. Go and enjoy.

I didn't know there were lines specifically for people who work and for people who don't work. Which lines would be included in each?

The answer, according to the suggested dress code, is no. Jeans and t-shirts should not be worn. That being said, they will not turn to away. So, can you wear jeans and a t-shirt? Yes.

This is NOT true. OP was talking about a Carnival cruise. Jeans ARE permitted on non elegant nights per the dress code.(shorts are also allowed)

This is NOT true. OP was talking about a Carnival cruise. Jeans ARE permitted on non elegant nights per the dress code.(shorts are also allowed)

Yes, thank you. I have learned that throughout this thread. I was actually referring more to the outfit of jeans and a t-shirt.

Archived