Is Pompeii accessible for someone who doesn't walk well?

Love Boat Dream

I'm writing this for a friend who is going on a Mediterranean cruise in a few weeks.

She very much wants to see Pompeii but is concerned about reading about the uneven paths there. She has a very bad back.

She asked me to ask the experts here on CC for information on how difficult it is to get around. If it isn't too bad, should she take a ship tour (Princess) or can someone recommend a private tour.

Thanks in advance!

As others said to see Pompeii walking is a requirement. It isn't so taxing that it impossible but figure hundreds of yards, and given its summer it will be very very hot!

The bright side of things you can tell your friend to skip Pompeii and hire that private car/driver and head out to Amalfi coast and with the time saved can easily do all the places with stops in Ravello, Amalfi and Positano she'll not remember a thing that was missed!

I'm writing this for a friend who is going on a Mediterranean cruise in a few weeks.

She very much wants to see Pompeii but is concerned about reading about the uneven paths there. She has a very bad back.

She asked me to ask the experts here on CC for information on how difficult it is to get around. If it isn't too bad, should she take a ship tour (Princess) or can someone recommend a private tour.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!

Pompeii would be a trial. I'm told that Herculaneum might be easier. We went to Pompeii. My wife loved it, I hated it. Friends went to herculaneum and thought it was great.

Pompeii would be a trial. I'm told that Herculaneum might be easier. We went to Pompeii. My wife loved it, I hated it. Friends went to herculaneum and thought it was great.

I had a friend mention herculaneum to me as well and she said she liked it more than Pompeii. Decisions, decisions...

We have been to both Pompeii and to Herculaneum. They are both excellent. Each one is a bit different from one another but there is so much history about these two sites.

However, I am afraid to say that if one has trouble walking this too would be a problem. There is still a fair amount of walking involved and some inclines.

If I had trouble walking I would pass on both of these.

Keith

I visited 3 ruins recently (Pompeii, Ephesus, and Acropolis). All are challenging for those with mobility issues. At each site we had one or two people that couldn't continue. I don't think whether one takes a ship or private tour matters other than a private tour may be able to go slower for your friend to keep up since there are less people but not a lot one can do to change the sometimes uphill, uneven and possibly slippery terrain.

My friend (80) and myself (63) are both mobility impaired. We hired a taxi at the pier in Naples. He dropped us off right in front of the ruins at Pompeii. We walked around the marketplace, and the walls of Pompeii. We did not pay to go inside the ruins themselves. You see plenty of ruins, streets, etc. of the old city. We took lots of photos. Then we went into a Limoncello store and saw how it was made, tasted some, and bought some. We were at Pompeii about 2 hours. Then on to Sorrento. Had lunch, shopped and walked around the town a little. Then back to the ship by 4:00 for our 4:30 sailing. It was a great day, expensive, but what isn't in Europe. We had the driver at our beck and call. We went where we wanted, stopped when we wanted. Not on a bus with 40 other people. Can't be beat!

My friend (80) and myself (63) are both mobility impaired. We hired a taxi at the pier in Naples. He dropped us off right in front of the ruins at Pompeii. We walked around the marketplace, and the walls of Pompeii. We did not pay to go inside the ruins themselves. You see plenty of ruins, streets, etc. of the old city. We took lots of photos. Then we went into a Limoncello store and saw how it was made, tasted some, and bought some. We were at Pompeii about 2 hours. Then on to Sorrento. Had lunch, shopped and walked around the town a little. Then back to the ship by 4:00 for our 4:30 sailing. It was a great day, expensive, but what isn't in Europe. We had the driver at our beck and call. We went where we wanted, stopped when we wanted. Not on a bus with 40 other people. Can't be beat!

Very nicely done!

Keith

I debated about this a lot before my cruise this year July 4th because I had a bad break of my ankle and leg with surgical repair in March. I chose Herculaneum instead of Pompeii and I'm glad we did. We took the train and then there was a company at the train station that gave you a ride to very close to the gate for a few Euros. They had a free guide book that explained all the different places you were seeing. It is a lot of walking, but from what a guide there told me, it is less that Pompeii and not crowded at all. More shade also and it is closer to the port also. I almost didn't go at all because of what I had read here, and it was a lot of walking but I'm glad I did it because it was really neat and well-preserved. My dad has back problems and it was pretty hard on him, but we could have walked a lot less and just hit a few of the highlights there instead of trying to see everything.

If you take the local bus from right outside the port, it dorps you by the gates to Herculaneum. The free guide books and maps are in the room oposite the ticket office. As stated before here, Herculaneum is more compact with lots more shade than Pompeii.The roads aren't rutted as they are in Pompeii. and it's very easy underfoot.

I think that the reality is that if someone has a very bad back that Pompeii can be a problem. They could do as someone else suggested and just see it from the outside or the could walk in the site for a few minutes but now the know that it will be a bit difficult. Even those who are in good physical shape find it challenging. Herculaeium while a smaller site still has some difficult areas. If you enter from one of the sides you have a very steep incline to deal with. One could enter from the other side and do a small portion of it. Again, we don't know the severity. All we can say is it might be a challenge. However, the person could just see it for a few minutes.

Keith

re: Pompeii...just an FYI. You have seen the photo of how uneven the terrain is, so that is clear. For those who might manage that uneven walking but have trouble with inclines, we were struck by comments from new friends we met on the ship regarding Pompeii.

One of the men was in his 80's and mobile, but certainly not quick on his feet. Right as you leave the main gates of Pompeii to go into the site, there is a rather long, steady incline. We didn't think anything of it, but for our older friend, it was a significant issue...and that was before they even really got to where they could see any of the site. I don't recall other areas that had inclines, though there were plenty of places that required stepping up and down.

That's a brilliant option, one many people wouldn't think of!

We have been to both Pompeii and to Herculaneum. They are both excellent. Each one is a bit different from one another but there is so much history about these two sites.

However, I am afraid to say that if one has trouble walking this too would be a problem. There is still a fair amount of walking involved and some inclines.

If I had trouble walking I would pass on both of these.

Keith

Geez...now I don't know what to do! Pompeii has been one of my "must do's", but I had ankle surgery a few ,months ago and I am hoping to be much better by mid October when we go, but will I be good enough to do this?? What to do, what to do?

This site

http://www.globalaccessnews.com/napleschabner06.htm

suggests that Pompeii might be more wheelchair accessible than Herculaneum. Maybe this is an indication for people with walking difficulties, too.

An important advice which can also be found within the Italian section of the Homepage of the Archaeological Superintendent of Pompeii is not to use the main entrance with earlier described incline but the entrance at Piazza Anfiteatro.

From above page

"The excavations have three entrances; the entrance at Piazza Anfiteatro is the most wheelchair accessible. In a wheelchair it is possible to see the amphitheater, parts of Villa dei Misteri and the surrounding area. The entrance at Piazza Anfiteatro is a few minutes walking distance from the center of the new city of Pompei and from the Circumvesuviana train station."

Archived