Chocolate/Dessert Extravaganza question

Golfgrl1911

Is this something HAL still does? I've read many reviews on the Eurodam and no one seems to mention it. I am traveling in October with my mother & stepfather who are RCCL fans & want to convert them to HAL! They would love this event as I have in the past. Thanks, Nancy

They had one on the Nieuw Amsterdam this July. The chocolate fountains - there were three this time had white, milk and dark chocolate - I think, I couldn't get near them. They also had a table full of different kinds of candy apples and another table with cotton candy.

It was held outside by the Lido pool.

Carol

The one I'm speaking of took place midday, indoors in the center if the ship around the atrium staircase. (Zuiderdam 2005) String quartet playing and a sea of desserts! They must have downsized this event...it was spectacular though. Perhaps a result of the economy.:confused:

The Zuiderdam had this last November-- late one evening around the Lido pool. We took lots of pictures. We ate at the Pinnacle that evening so we weren't hungry but enjoyed looking. Those pictures made some RCCL cruisers very jealous.

Marcia

They did it on the Oosterdam last week. All desserts arranged around the pool at 11 pm. They looked spectacular. The chocolate fountain fruit tasted great. Not sure about the other desserts. I think their desserts generally leave something to be desired. Somehow I always think they look better than they taste. Most things seem to taste very artificial (especially those with cream). But HAL is still a great cruise line!

Oh please tell me they had chocolate cream pie ? My FAVORITE w/ fresh whipped cream ... I'm drooling already.

On one of our NCL cruises they had it one day for dessert. Had I have known it was the only day they offered it I would have eaten the whole pie.

I haven't had it since and it's been a few years.

It's safer this way !

On the Veendam it is held on the 2nd formal night from 10:30pm-Midnight. As long as the norovirus stays away it is held around the lido pool. Many cakes, chocolate covered strawberries, pies, cream puffs, as well chocolate fountains..

Laura

They did it on the Oosterdam last week. All desserts arranged around the pool at 11 pm. They looked spectacular. The chocolate fountain fruit tasted great. Not sure about the other desserts. I think their desserts generally leave something to be desired. Somehow I always think they look better than they taste. Most things seem to taste very artificial (especially those with cream). But HAL is still a great cruise line!

I agree that their cakes are too bland. On Veendam, the desserts were gorgeous, but all the cakes tasted the same. The servers don't know what anything is. I was told one cake was "butter cake." (It was some kind of layer cake with sugary icing) Most people seemed to enjoy the cakes. At least they were eating them like mad. I wonder if people no longer know the difference between high-quality baked goods and the mass-produced supermarket stuff. Even supermarkets that have their own bakery department aren't using the kinds of quality ingredients that a real bakery uses.

There were cream-puff swans on the sugar-free table. I am such a sucker for those things, and I didn't notice any artificial taste in the whipped cream.

We weren't very hungry, so we just sample a few of the cakes. Didn't go back to try anything else, as the lines got very long.

I like that they allow people to take pictures before everyone digs in. The pastry chefs do make an effort with the decorations. Now if someone would just buy them a nice bottle of vanilla extract...

Family Cruiser

We had Chocolate Cream Pie a few times, a few years ago on HAL. In the dining room, might have been for lunch. Have not seen it at the Dessert Extravaganza ever. You might find it in the Lido for lunch. Just take a look around, you never know; but it is not a regular menu item on HAL, as is the Key Lime Pie and the Coconut Cream Pie.

If you like chocolate, the Opera Cake, made well, is a winner on HAL.

Yea.. I hope I'll find it somewhere on the ship just once would be great but twice ... OMG..

Yes I could easily make one or go buy one in a bakery but on our once (this year twice) a year cruises it's a real treat for me and honestly the only time we really indulge on desserts is on the cruise ..

Spoil me HAL !!!

Family Cruiser

We had Chocolate Cream Pie a few times, a few years ago on HAL. In the dining room, might have been for lunch. Have not seen it at the Dessert Extravaganza ever. You might find it in the Lido for lunch. Just take a look around, you never know; but it is not a regular menu item on HAL, as is the Key Lime Pie and the Coconut Cream Pie.

If you like chocolate, the Opera Cake, made well, is a winner on HAL.

It will be held sometime during the cruise.

Time and place are the two unknowns.

Being that they have never experienced it, they won"t know the difference from the Extravaganza of years past. It is just not as spectacular as it used to be.

Westerdam had it in Oct of 09. Looked very pretty but I trued a bite or two of several items and did not like them. The chocolate fountain was syrup like Hersey's from a can. NCL years ago did a fabulous display (tasted divine) where even my hair reeked of the chocolate smell after eating there. I imagine that is what Holland-America used to have then too.

I know on all my HAL sailings they had the dessert extravaganza.

Like a few others have stated, it's pretty to look at and great photo ops (very talented people to design the various items), but the taste of most of the items were kind of bland.

Add me to the list of those who found that the Chocolate Extravaganza looked outstanding but tasted mediocre. For me, most things tasted very similar, and there wasn't enough chocolate in most items, leaving them bland.

Is there ever enough chocolate???????????? :D

(where's Ruth when we need her?)

FamilyCruisers, yes, I remember the NCL chocolate extravaganza. It was glorious. They did that on the cruise we took with our inlaws about 12 years ago. They had it on the first sea night, which was unfortunate because the Norwegian Sea wallowed like a sow in the mud. Lots of people were in their cabins groaning, including my SIL and neice, and even my DH who is rarely ill. Ex-navy BIL and I were fine, and did justice to the chocolate buffet. I still remember him questioning the wisdeom of caffeine and sugar at midnight. But we kept eating!

We went to a few good dessert buffets on QE2. They didn't focus on chocolate, but produced a wonderful variety of tasty deserts. I know people make fun of fruitcake, but Cunard makes a delicious fruitcake.

Oh please tell me they had chocolate cream pie ? My FAVORITE w/ fresh whipped cream ... I'm drooling already.

On one of our NCL cruises they had it one day for dessert. Had I have known it was the only day they offered it I would have eaten the whole pie.

I haven't had it since and it's been a few years.

It's safer this way !

:) Are you celebrating a birthday or anniversary on board ??

Why not just ask for it ---- who knows, you just might be

surprized one evening. In fact, even if it's really NOT a special occasion --- I would ask anyway. ;)

Archived