My turn to be annoyed with Princess

bjboothman

A very similar thing happened to our reservation a few weeks ago. I went to the Cruise Personalizer and had a notification that our reservation had been canceled. When I called my travel agent, they said Princess was upgrading their computers and that many reservations were messed up and had to be rebooked. (this was back on 7/24).

Twice in the past couple of weeks I have had the same thing happen to me when I went onto the cruise personalizer - "cruise cancelled" and we paid our final in payment in June. Both times I waited a while, checked again and the reservation was there.

Having traveled with someone in a wheelchair/walker, I understand scoping out the ship with the easiest access in mind. It just makes for a smoother trip. If you were the original booking for that cabin, I think Princess should contact the current occupant and tell them due to their error, they must give them another cabin. We all understand a mistake but I think it is unfair that you pay the penalty for their mistake.

Thanks for the sympathetic ears and encouragement that if I call again and talk to the right person, I might get some satisfaction. I do have my original email booking confirmation, and my email deposit confirmation (I used future cruise credits so they did already have my money).

I realize this isn't the end of the world and that we are blessed with the good fortune of being able to take this trip, but I'm really quite disappointed in this unfortunate "computer error". I will call again and see if I can get this straightened out, but one reason I did make this original post was as a warning to others to keep your eye on the Personalizer. Not that you should have to, but this is a holiday cruise and it may sell out early, and if I'd been stuck without any minisuite, I WOULD have engaged a lawyer to fight for me.

I have another question ---- Princess is telling me they have no other available minisuites that would suit me ---- is it possible (or likely) that a TA might be still holding a block (final payment is Oct 1) and I might change cabins if I transferred to a TA? And if anyone wants to email me with a suggestion on that ---- please do, the link is below.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks for the sympathetic ears and encouragement that if I call again and talk to the right person, I might get some satisfaction. I do have my original email booking confirmation, and my email deposit confirmation (I used future cruise credits so they did already have my money).

I realize this isn't the end of the world and that we are blessed with the good fortune of being able to take this trip, but I'm really quite disappointed in this unfortunate "computer error". I will call again and see if I can get this straightened out, but one reason I did make this original post was as a warning to others to keep your eye on the Personalizer. Not that you should have to, but this is a holiday cruise and it may sell out early, and if I'd been stuck without any minisuite, I WOULD have engaged a lawyer to fight for me.

I have another question ---- Princess is telling me they have no other available minisuites that would suit me ---- is it possible (or likely) that a TA might be still holding a block (final payment is Oct 1) and I might change cabins if I transferred to a TA? And if anyone wants to email me with a suggestion on that ---- please do, the link is below.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Being a New Years cruise they may be all on waitlist.

A TA would actually have to have a cabin on a booking to hold so I doubt that.

If they tell you that there are no mini suites available then I would push to be upgraded to a full suite on their dime, not yours. Princess did you wrong and they need to do whatever it is, to correct it. You just tell them that you have the support of all of the CRUISE CRITIC members, that will scare them:D

I wish you good luck and we are with you and DH, YOU GO GIRL!

I'd insist they give you your old cabin back. You did nothing wrong and this is Princess' fault 100%. Yes, you are fortunate to be able to cruise but then so is everyone else on your cruise. Don't settle. The excuse you've been given is pure bull. Even if they lost bookings in a glitch, they should have made good on their older bookings before accepting new ones.

Boy, does this push one of my buttons. I'm an IT guy and I'd be looking for new employment if I screwed up customer data. The first rule of all changes is to take backups. If there's a problem, then you back out and try again later after you figure out the problem. The worst case scenario is you corrupt data, leave it there and let the CSRs deal with the fallout. Oh yes, you have a backout plan prior to starting your implementation, so you know what you have to do to uninstall your changes before there's a problem. This really isn't rocket science...

The reservationist blamed it on a computer glitch. She may or may not know how it happened but she wasn't saying.

Just glad I discovered the mistake when I did, I guess.

Computers don't make mistakes or glitches .....it's the people who operate them....;)

I do have my original email booking confirmation, and my email deposit confirmation (I used future cruise credits so they did already have my money).

That should be the only proof you need. I would call repeatedly until Princess gives you back your CONFIRMED cabin. They should either give you the original cabin or upgrade you to a full suite.

Please let us know if you have any success.

This must have been more then one major glitch.. it seems to have happened to quite a few people recently and the same thing happened to us last week..our deposit was made, we received an email confirmation from Princess, a few days later.. poof.. on the personalizer..said the booking was cancelled...

We booked the highly in demand Aft facing BB cabin on the Golden to Hawaii in February/11 and the only thing I wish we had the option to see somewhere is the fact we stated.."no upgrade" so we can't be bumped out of it.. and have proof of it..

Luckily, we were able to get it all sorted out.. but like the original poster, we booked this cruise, for the cabin and itinerary.. NO WAY would I settle for anything less then getting her original cabin back..

Please let us know how you made out with this... what is really bothering me right now is the frequency of the occurences.. how many times has this happened to people who don't come on to cruise critic.. someone needs to get their sh** together with this problem... this is a MAJOR problem right now it seems..

This also happened to a friends of ours who are traveling with us on the Ocean next January to Asia. She had booked an OS and when she went back to check her personalizer a few weeks later, it said the booking had been canceled. They told her there were no OS left. Her TA had to spend about 2 hours on the phone with Princess to get it straightened out and while they didn't get their original cabin, they did finally get an OS.

Can someone direct me to where in the web site (Personalizer I assume) that I indicate "no upgrade"?

Thanks!

When you make your booking and you get to the select stateroom page you check this box.

spacer_gray.gifspacer.gif I prefer to keep my selected stateroom rather than accept a free upgrade if the option becomes available.

I am having problems with Princess.

Before we left to go on the Ocean Princess and London. I called Visa to advise them that we would be away July 25-Aug 7 going to London and Norway, like they tell you too. I used Visa in London and put the Visa down at check in with no problems. Princess charged my Visa at the end of the cruise.

I took out a FCC while on board August 2 to be held by Princess not my TA . When we got back home Aug 7, I had a voice message stating that Visa was declined for the FCC to call FCC dept. I called, and was told she would look into it. Half week later still not heard or Visa not debited. Called again, told that $100 FCC showed up on my Captain Circle Account and I told her my Visa was not debited. Told I was to call FCC in California. Talked to FCC dept and told her about calling Visa before leaving maybe that was the problem since I told them only London and Norway not USA. She could see that I had been declined and I had called about the problem. She checked with Visa and there no hold on account. She would put through the FCC again ( she told me,they don't usually do FCC after a cruise) did I still want it (" well,of course that was the purpose of taking it out while on board"). The FCC then showed up on my Personalizer but not on my Visa (thinking to myself it takes a day or 2, to debit the Visa).

Two days later, I booked a cruise with TA and she was to apply the FCC to it. The cruise was booked with the FCC and I have copies from Princess Passenger Copy with $100 OBC each. Personalizer showed (zero) that it was applied to the new booking.

Got a call from TA today that FCC was declined again. I called Visa and 4 $100 was authorized to Princess the day (2 @ 1:40pm and 2 @ 9:29pm) I only booked 2 onboard. TA called back Princess and the lady in FCC was out so they will forward an email to her and TA was to call back tomorrow. Personalizer shows today the $100 in the Captain Circle Account.

We will see what they say. I don't want to loose the $100 OBC/pp.

having traveled with someone in a wheelchair/walker, i understand scoping out the ship with the easiest access in mind. It just makes for a smoother trip. If you were the original booking for that cabin, i think princess should contact the current occupant and tell them due to their error, they must give them another cabin. We all understand a mistake but i think it is unfair that you pay the penalty for their mistake.

exactly!

I am having problems with Princess.

Before we left to go on the Ocean Princess and London. I called Visa to advise them that we would be away July 25-Aug 7 going to London and Norway, like they tell you too. I used Visa in London and put the Visa down at check in with no problems. Princess charged my Visa at the end of the cruise.

I took out a FCC while on board August 2 to be held by Princess not my TA . When we got back home Aug 7, I had a voice message stating that Visa was declined for the FCC to call FCC dept. I called, and was told she would look into it. Half week later still not heard or Visa not debited. Called again, told that $100 FCC showed up on my Captain Circle Account and I told her my Visa was not debited. Told I was to call FCC in California. Talked to FCC dept and told her about calling Visa before leaving maybe that was the problem since I told them only London and Norway not USA. She could see that I had been declined and I had called about the problem. She checked with Visa and there no hold on account. She would put through the FCC again ( she told me,they don't usually do FCC after a cruise) did I still want it (" well,of course that was the purpose of taking it out while on board"). The FCC then showed up on my Personalizer but not on my Visa (thinking to myself it takes a day or 2, to debit the Visa).

Two days later, I booked a cruise with TA and she was to apply the FCC to it. The cruise was booked with the FCC and I have copies from Princess Passenger Copy with $100 OBC each. Personalizer showed (zero) that it was applied to the new booking.

Got a call from TA today that FCC was declined again. I called Visa and 4 $100 was authorized to Princess the day (2 @ 1:40pm and 2 @ 9:29pm) I only booked 2 onboard. TA called back Princess and the lady in FCC was out so they will forward an email to her and TA was to call back tomorrow. Personalizer shows today the $100 in the Captain Circle Account.

We will see what they say. I don't want to loose the $100 OBC/pp.

I'm known to be a very complicated thinker.......but, this is way over even my head!!!

I hope, through your TA and Visa that you get everything straightened out.

Try using American Express next time! :o

Wow! That's very disappointing. I would speak to the supervisor and insist because of a computer "glitch" [as was said] and because of your need to have such a cabin due to your DH's circumstances; you MUST have your cabin re-instated and, they will simply have to explain it to the party who the cabin was mistakingly given to, when the "glitch" happened.

This is something that they will have to take the "blame" for and you should be made whole again.

Be insistent and assertive! I think they can do it. Afterall, they did it to you......make them reinstate your cabin and do it to someone else!

I totally agree!

Archived