Soot and the aft balconies

We're just off the Liberty of Seas and we stayed in the Royal Family Suite (8714) and the adjoining balcony (8712). Due to soot issues, we found our balcony to be essentially unusable. The soot was unreal. We didn't realize this was a problem on the first evening and we were sitting out on the balcony, but when we came back in doors, everyone realized that they had soot all over their pants, shirts, hands and feet! Housekeeping was kind enough to wash our clothes at no charge, but the soot didn't come completely out of my white pants:(

The soot remained bad throughout the cruise. The crew members were exceptionally helpful and really tried to keep the deck clean, but the build-up between their cleanings was crazy. We loved everything about these 2 rooms except for the soot issue.

My question is this....is this typical? We'd love to book these rooms again, but not if this is the norm. I've heard mention of soot and having to shake things off, but this seemed more extensive.

637386948_LOS-sootontowel.jpg.d1708b295c13686f32087fadd18baef9.jpg

This was from wiping just one cushion off and was taken at 8am. The deck had been cleaned/wiped down on the previous night around 9pm.

We've had the aft RFS on the Grandeur and had no soot during our 9 day cruise. We had that same room twice and no soot at all either time.

So maybe it's the newer ships with the problem and not the older ships.

Sorry you had to deal with that. Those RFS rooms are great and the balcony is wonderful-without the soot.

We have our first AFT balcony on the Voyager. I hope we don't have the same issue as you had :eek:.

I don't always believe in people getting free compts but I think in this case the purser could have thrown in a little more free cleaning. Even a small basket of fruit would have been nice on their part.

Thanks for posting your photograph.

We have our first AFT balcony on the Voyager. I hope we don't have the same issue as you had :eek:.

I don't always believe in people getting free compts but I think in this case the purser could have thrown in a little more free cleaning. Even a small basket of fruit would have been nice on their part.

Thanks for posting your photograph.

The staff was actually very accommodating and I have to say that I was definitely impressed with their response to the issue. I really think they did everything they could and short of them putting up an awning to cover the balcony, can't imagine what else they could have done for us.

On the last day of the cruise, the Hotel Director contacted us and offered us a discount off of a future cruise.

So, for sure, they kept me as a customer, just not sure if I'd book an aft balcony again, but sounds like perhaps this was a little unusual.

My wife and I met a couple on Freedom in March who were staying in an aft balcony room and they were extremely dissapointed because they had a soot and exhaust problem. They said that they could smell the exhaust from the stack all the time and had soot on everything. Sad thing is that this was their first balcony and it really turned them off to it.

Mike

We've sailed aft balcony cabins on all Voyager class and the two Freedom class ships. Sometimes there was soot, sometimes not. But it was never as bad as the OP states. What a bummer for them! Radiance class ships do not have the soot problem.

We had an aft on the Independence of the Seas for 13 nights in November, zero ash. On the Mariner for 7 nights we had it one day, but nothing bad. I imagine it has to do with the relative wind flowing over the ship, IE there is always ash, but it doesn't always land on the same balconies.

jc

Had some soot on the Brilliance. Ruined 2 pair of pants before we realized what it was. Both pair of pants were laundered by RCL, with a special note in the laundry indicating what was on our pants, but the spots never came out. After that we placed towels on the chairs.

We were on the Vision of the Seas last October on a Holy Land cruise. We had the aft corner balcony (JS) on deck 8. The balcony was huge but unusable several days. We had to be very careful with the chairs and railings so as not to ruin our clothes. Some days the balcony was fine and others covered with soot. We thought the surrounding ships when we were docked in commercial ports like Alexandria and Ashdod might have been the problem because the balcony seemed fine on sea days and in Istanbul and Kusadasi. Perhaps it was the wind currents as suggested above that brought the soot from the stack above and not soot from the other ships. I cleaned the chairs and railings but still had soot on my shoes so I gave up. Housekeeping couldn't be there 24/7.

The soot was a real problem so for our next cruise we chose a JS on the side of the ship. Hopefully there will be no soot.

A bit of soot some days on our Navigator aft corner balcony (deck 9) last fall. However, major soot alert! - while waiting for the aqua show to start on Oasis, the soot came raining down on that area. On our hair and clothing, and people that came in and sat on it were a mess.

We sailed on the Voyager deck 10 aft cabin and had no soot issue. But every morning we woke up the balcony and furniture was a little wet from the automatic window cleaning system above us. But that was really a minor issue. Great views and huge balcony made up for any inconvenience. I have some pictures posted of the room and balcony.

We had one morning with soot on a deck 10 aft Explorer 12 day cruise, and 3 or 4 days on a Splendour deck 8 aft. Neither were that much of a problem and were easily wiped away.

We have a deck 10 aft booked for the Liberty transatlantic next year, I hope we don't get the problems you had.

Julie

We're just off the Liberty of Seas and we stayed in the Royal Family Suite (8714) and the adjoining balcony (8712). Due to soot issues, we found our balcony to be essentially unusable. The soot was unreal. We didn't realize this was a problem on the first evening and we were sitting out on the balcony, but when we came back in doors, everyone realized that they had soot all over their pants, shirts, hands and feet! Housekeeping was kind enough to wash our clothes at no charge, but the soot didn't come completely out of my white pants:(

The soot remained bad throughout the cruise. The crew members were exceptionally helpful and really tried to keep the deck clean, but the build-up between their cleanings was crazy. We loved everything about these 2 rooms except for the soot issue.

My question is this....is this typical? We'd love to book these rooms again, but not if this is the norm. I've heard mention of soot and having to shake things off, but this seemed more extensive.

[ATTACH]166459[/ATTACH]

This was from wiping just one cushion off and was taken at 8am. The deck had been cleaned/wiped down on the previous night around 9pm.

Yes, we just got off the Grandeur, deck seven aft and the soot issue was awful...you even breathed it in if you were outside.

Archived