At sea in a sea of humanity…

footzz

Here’s a short list of mega liners that are in service or are soon to be launched with their corresponding passenger load:

Oasis of the Seas - 5400

Allure of the Seas - 5400

Norwegian Epic - 4700

Carnival Magic - 3650

Carnival Dream - 3650

Costa Favolosa - 3780

P&O Azura – 3076

The mass market lines are building them bigger and bigger, but there are there are alternative to these behemoths. For those adventurous souls who don’t require the myriad amenities offered by large cruise ships, have you experienced, or would you be willing to try the intimate environs of small ship cruising? These vessels can be in the range of 35ft to 250ft. and have a capacity of 8 to 180 passengers.

There are hundreds of small ship cruise lines that offer an amazing array of itineraries on vessels like schooners, yachts, trawlers and even wooden junks. While the price of some small ship cruises is higher than the mass market lines, some are very affordable, especially considering the experience they offer and the places they can go.

Would you be willing to give small ship cruising a try?

We've been on the 600 pax Tahitian Princess and loved it even though the smaller size meant some ammenties were missing. We're booked on the 200 pax Royal Clipper for March.

The reason the smaller ships are not as popular is the shear cost. The smaller the ship, the higher the price. The mass market lines are offering the general public a cruise experience at a reasonable rate.

For us its ports and that the price needs to be reasonable, doesn't have to be Carnival reasonable ;)

Minimum things; decent inclusive sit down dining, tea, at least several entertainment options for the evenings; comedy, variety show, music, piano bar.

Not required: Waterslides, rock climbing walls, wave runners, ice skating, shopping mall, bowling alley, and huge crowds IE everything on the mega ships. If that is a requirement there are always better on a land based vacation where those can be the focus and better.

Here’s a short list of mega liners that are in service or are soon to be launched with their corresponding passenger load:

Oasis of the Seas - 5400

Norwegian Epic - 4700

Carnival Magic - 3650

Carnival Dream - 3650

Costa Favolosa - 3780

P&O Azura – 3076

The mass market lines are building them bigger and bigger, but there are there are alternative to these behemoths. For those adventurous souls who don’t require the myriad amenities offered by large cruise ships, have you experienced, or would you be willing to try the intimate environs of small ship cruising? These vessels can be in the range of 35ft to 250ft. and have a capacity of 8 to 180 passengers.

There are hundreds of small ship cruise lines that offer an amazing array of itineraries on vessels like schooners, yachts, trawlers and even wooden junks. While the price of some small ship cruises is higher than the mass market lines, some are very affordable, especially considering the experience they offer and the places they can go.

Oasis of the Seas - 5400

Norwegian Epic - 4700

Carnival Magic - 3650

Carnival Dream - 3650

Costa Favolosa - 3780

P&O Azura – 3076

You're correct.

That's one of the appealing aspects of the cruise industry.

You can charter a private yacht, sail on a freighter, or cruise on a mega ship. You're choice.

I have little desire to go on too small of a ship...I like that a larger ship gives a smoother ride....don't want to spend my vacation bouncing off the walls, should the seas be a bit bumpy!

I think the mid-sized ships are the perfect combo of size and stability.... I think around 1500-2000 souls is a good size.

The reason the smaller ships are not as popular is the shear cost. The smaller the ship, the higher the price. The mass market lines are offering the general public a cruise experience at a reasonable rate.

True. If price were no object I'd prefer a smaller ship. I've been on a 3,000 and that's mega enough for me.

There's no way I'm going on a ship that carries more people than live in my town. Therefore, I have to sail on ships of less than 3000. No way will I go on those behemoth ships. As for smooth sailing, the idea that you need a larger ship for smoother sailing is a fallacy. I've been on smaller ships that handled the very high seas (25 to 35ft) very nicely and on larger ships that bounced around in seas of 10ft. It's not the size, but the draft of the ship and the use of stabilizers. I was on Crystal, not a huge ship by any means at 51,000 tons, and on a crossing, if I hadn't seen the green water washing over the windows on deck 5, I would never had known the seas were rough.

I've been on ships with only 400 pax and ones with 2600. Even though there was less to do and less glintz compared to todays ships, I preferred the smaller ones. We were in some rough water (breaking over the bow) on the smaller one and it was a good ride. On a larger ship we on smaller seas and got bounced around pretty good. I think a lot depends on the angle the waves hit the ship.

Been on small, medium, large, and behemoth ships. I love them all for different reasons. And until one has tried one of the biggest, like Oasis, they really can't judge.

Having been on Celebrity Millenium (1,950), Sapphire Princess (2,600) and Carnival Victory (3,400), I really can judge. Bigger is not better -- I certainly do not need bowling alleys, skating rinks, Johnny Rockets, ice bars, water parks, and most of all: thousands of other people -- particularly thousands of people who seem to need things I do not need.

Don't get me wrong: I think it is great that there are mega-ships:

A) It makes the people who want what they offer happy, which is a good thing, and

B) It means that I am not surrounded by thousands of those people who want things very different from what I want.

We all win.

Sorry if this is a double post; my first try seemed to get lost in space.

Been on small, medium, large, and behemoth ships. I love them all for different reasons. And until one has tried one of the biggest, like Oasis, they really can't judge.

We certainly don't judge the fact of Oasis-size ships or those who love to cruise on them. But we are good enough judges of our own tastes to know that size of ship has zero appeal for us, so we certainly can "judge" in that regard. Of course, if we were given a cruise on Oasis in a GS or above or on Epic in a Villa or OS (all including air, tips, OBC, etc. of course), we would not be stupid enough to say "no thanks." When it involves our limited cruise budget, we're not going to spend that money on a ship that we know doesn't suit our tastes. I really don't think it's necessary to cruise on a specific size of ship to know that it is or is not the right choice.

beachchick

well, it's one thing to know that a particular ship probably won't suit your own tastes, and quite another to pronounce it too big, too crowded, too tasteless etc etc, so "how could anyone possibly enjoy it?"

Very true. We would never question why or how someone else enjoys something we don't enjoy. That's one reason we're happy there are so many choices out there in size, cruise style, itinerary, and even price. More people can discover cruising as a terrific vacation option. And that's definitely a very good thing!:D

beachchick

Sorry, but this is a self serving (along the lines of "I know better than you do") and sort of silly comment.

Of course one can judge for themselves without having had the experience. If a 2,500 passenger ship was uncomfortable for me due to the number of people and/or size of the ship, it's reasonable and logical for me to conclude that a 5,000 passenger ship is not my cup of tea.

In the same vein, if I taste something I don't like, is this poster suggesting I should eat lots of more it before I am informed enough to say it doesn't taste good to me?

Archived