Normandy Beaches, Any hidden gems?

RJB

If you have more than one day, please rent a car and drive around the area. There are many small museums that are wonderful and the one at Pegasus Bridge was extra special. We were fortunate enough some years ago to spend a week there and saw everything. The French people there are wonderfully accomodating and are very proud of their small museums as they should be.

We will be going to the D Day beaches mid. Sept. Any out of the way places we should see? Thanks, Richie:)

Try to spend a few hours in Bayeux. It was spared during the invasion. It is home to the Bayeux tapestry and Eisenhour's favorite the Lion d'Or hotel

We will be going to the D Day beaches mid. Sept. Any out of the way places we should see? Thanks, Richie:)

Ofcourse..the d-day beaches and the American Museum.. Try le Mont-St-Michel either early morning or from about 6pm for fewer tourists. Go up via the ramparts if you're sufficiently energetic -

and there is so much there to see..how many days do you have?

here is a great web site for info:

http://www.ot-carentan.fr/en/pageLibre0001030c.html

and some other tibits that were passed on to me over the years:

Fougeres (south of St. Hilaire-du-Harcouet) for superb chateau.

Vire market on Fridays, St. Hilaire market on Wednesdays - both mornings only.

Granville because it's a lovely town with nice restaurants as well as the Dior museum.

Granville - ferries for a day out in the channel islands.

Avranches is also a nice town - good Saturday morning market.

google the village names for tourist information

have a great time!

I'm another advocate of staying a few days if you can. When we did the Baltic cruise back in 2001 we decided it wasn't worth the drive from LeHavre if we only had a very few hours at the Beaches, so we opted for a separate land trip the next year. We spent 3 days in the Normandy area and needed all of that time. There really is a LOT to see in this area.

Not only is the American Cemetery worth a visit, but the British and German cemeteries are also very interesting. It was sad to see how young the British and American casualties were -- mostly in their teens and early 20s -- while the Germans were frequently in their mid-30s or older.

10 stars for the Bayeux Tapestry as well ...

The Caen museum is not be missed. Just going to Normandy is a very moving experience. When you stand on those cliffs, look out over the water, and think about the invasion it is just unbelievable anyone survived. The cemetery is the site of the filming of Saving Private Ryan cemetery scenes. Enjoy the your visit...

• 2 weeks later...

Reading everyone's posts brings back such vivid memories of our 2004 trip to Normandy for the 60th anniversary of the invasion. President Bush, Queen Elizabeth, Russian President, German Chancellor...all there. We stayed in the same hotel as the Russian President and his entourage. His bodyguards couldn't be missed; they were the ones with the uzzi's under their jackets. And so many WW II veterans...many returning for the first time! One of the most memorable and moving experiences of mine (and DH's) life.

Be sure to go to Point du Hoc and wander into the surrounding concrete bunkers where the German machine guns were kept. President Reagan gave a speech at P d H on the 50th anniversary. Each beach (Juno, Gold, Omaha, Utah, etc) has a memorial. They are all moving . The farms and small villages throughout Normandy are beautiful and what you picture when you think of a "French village". The people were welcoming and kind. With a private guide, you will probably be able to see quite a bit if you are only there for a day. We were there for 5 days...the crowds were unprecedented, which made for some very long commutes between sights.

When you return, be sure to watch Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers--you will see them with different eyes, believe me.

The highlight of my Normandy trip was being on the beaches. We ate lunch at the Roosevelt Cafe on the beach. After lunch, we went down under the kitchen to see an actual bunker that was used by the soldiers during the war. The American museum and cemetery is great. The museum in Bayeaux is also outstanding. I would skip Mont St. Michel. Looks nice from afar, but is very touristy with souvenir shops and lousy food. Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Although not out of the way, do not miss Point du Hoc. You still can get a very clear sense of the incredible accomplishment of the Rangers to scale those cliffs (plus all the shell holes have not all been filled in as in so many other places).

Also Pegasus Bridge and museum is excellent. Be sure to resee "The Longest Day" before you go on your cruise.

Off-point comment: my claim to fame is that Ranger Sgt. Leonard Lomell, one of the two who actually found the large guns moved back from the beach area and spiked them, is from my small NJ hometown of Toms River. There is a display about him in the "new" American museum by the cemetery at Omaha Beach. (He also rated a chapter in Tom Brokaw's Greatest Generation book.) Of course, the brass plaque at Point du Hoc itself only mentions the commander, not these two men!

Funny thing, his youngest daughter was a friend when I was growing up, I spent time in his home, and it only was when the D-Day 50th anniversary articles appeared in 1994 that I had any idea at all of his amazing contribution.

Archived