Dining Room on Embarkation Day

Terre

I keep reading on the boards that one of the dining rooms is open on embarkation day for lunch, and even though they try to send you to the buffet, you can insist on eating in the dining room. Does anyone know if this is true on the Golden, and do you know which dining room is open?

I keep reading on the boards that one of the dining rooms is open on embarkation day for lunch, and even though they try to send you to the buffet, you can insist on eating in the dining room. Does anyone know if this is true on the Golden, and do you know which dining room is open?

It was open when we sailed.

It is true but you must be persistent. Since we have become Elite we have gone to the open diningroom on Embarkation Day on every cruise. They have one diningroom open for BTB cruisers and senior staff to have lunch. Firstly you have to find out which one is open. Ask a few staff, bartenderse etc. When you find out which one, go there. There will be a couple of diningroom staff outside the door trying to deflect you to the buffet. If you are Elite, just show your cruise card and they will let you in. If you are not Elite, tell them that you would like to eat in a diningroom, not the buffet. You may get lucky and they'll let you in. You may get a "No". Ask for their supervisor and ask him/her....you may still get a "No". At that point you probably are going to the buffet.

Barry

We have found that when we do go to the dining room for lunch on embarkation day, the service is not particularly friendly. They really don't want you in there. If you do manage to get seated, it's not an enjoyable atmosphere. We felt like we needed to hurry, eat and leave.

I'd just as soon go to the buffet, have a hamburger or pizza or even better - go to the IC on ships that have one. I know turn-around day is a busy busy day but I'm not sure it's so busy for the wait staff that they can't serve folks in the dining room. Trying to find a seat in the buffet can be a real challenge. Having a pleasant dining room option would be a plus after the hassle of getting to the port and boarding.

We have had some very pleasant lunches in the dining room on embarkation day, and some less than pleasant ones as well. On the Emerald, they seemed genuinely happy to have us. Most recently on the Golden and Caribbean, the atmosphere was very pleasant. They now have to be open for the guests on embarkation day anyway.

The most difficult ship, in our experience, has been the Sapphire. Most recently for us, that was a few years ago, and things might have changed. They came very close to telling bold face lies to keep us out of the dining room at embarkation, but since we had sent our young adult kids on their way a few minutes ahead of us - and they said their parents told them to meet here, and we said our kids are already in there - we were all seated. We enjoyed excellent service, despite the chilly initial reception.

It was open two weeks ago and there was no need to insist as the door was wide open.

I don't remember which dining room was open; but it was listed on the front of the patter in the cabin as being open from noon until 1:30pm.

I have the patters at home and will check this evening for you.

Mike:)

For the wait staff, this is probably the closest they have to an active day off (doesn't excuse bad behavior or service, but a certain lack of enthusiasm may be understandable).

We arrived after lunch on the Coral but many people said they had a very nice lunch in the MDR with no issues.

We have found that when we do go to the dining room for lunch on embarkation day, the service is not particularly friendly. They really don't want you in there. If you do manage to get seated, it's not an enjoyable atmosphere. We felt like we needed to hurry, eat and leave.

I'd just as soon go to the buffet, have a hamburger or pizza or even better - go to the IC on ships that have one. I know turn-around day is a busy busy day but I'm not sure it's so busy for the wait staff that they can't serve folks in the dining room. Trying to find a seat in the buffet can be a real challenge. Having a pleasant dining room option would be a plus after the hassle of getting to the port and boarding.

It is true but you must be persistent. Since we have become Elite we have gone to the open diningroom on Embarkation Day on every cruise. They have one diningroom open for BTB cruisers and senior staff to have lunch. Firstly you have to find out which one is open. Ask a few staff, bartenderse etc. When you find out which one, go there. There will be a couple of diningroom staff outside the door trying to deflect you to the buffet. If you are Elite, just show your cruise card and they will let you in. If you are not Elite, tell them that you would like to eat in a diningroom, not the buffet. You may get lucky and they'll let you in. You may get a "No". Ask for their supervisor and ask him/her....you may still get a "No". At that point you probably are going to the buffet.

Barry

Being Elite should have nothing to do with gaining entrance - everyone who wants a seat should be admitted if they advertise it as such.

Okay I have my patter now and on the Golden Princess August 14th we were welcomed for lunch in the Donatello dining room deck 6 from 1200-130pm.

Mike:)

Being Elite should have nothing to do with gaining entrance - everyone who wants a seat should be admitted if they advertise it as such.

We are not Elite and have never been denied entrance to the dining room during the lunch service on embarkation day. We have dined exclusively in the dining room for lunch the first day on our last several Princess cruises and while in some instances we have had to be a bit persistent, once they catch on that you really do know they are open and serving we have always been welcomed.

I'm happy to report that on our most recent cruise on the Sea Princess just a couple of weeks ago persistence wasn't even necessary. The door was open and we were welcomed with no attempt to reroute us to the buffet. I think with the advent of the Bon Voyage program and the fact that it is becoming more widely known that lunch is served in the dining room between Noon and 1:30 p.m. on embarkation day perhaps they have lightened up on the deflection maneuvers.

And as for service, I must add that even though there have been a few times we have had to be persistent about getting in the door, we have always had extremely friendly and congenial service from our waitstaff during that initial lunch. So nice in fact that we have often sought the same waitstaff out for other lunches or evening meals.

We don't mind going to the buffet [even though it can be quite a challenge onboard all ships] on embarkation day and the closer you are to the noon hour, the worse it is!

At least on Princess the cabins are ready relatively early and you can drop your carry-ons [which in our case is a lot] and make your way to the Horizon Court.

Once, onboard the HAL Oosterdam we were dragging our bags to find a seat which was next to impossible......it was the worst "first day" experience we've ever had. The Lido deck was crowded, we wound-up finding a seat outside [in back of a stairwell], it was hot, humid and not very relaxing. It was a true learning experience:

BUFFET........

1. Eat a bit later and put the stuff in your cabin, then go eat

2. Board earlier, take the time to stow the bags [at the Purser's desk] and go scope-out a place to sit, never leave the table un-attended

MAIN DINING ROOM.........

1. Ask which Dining Room is serving lunch and go and sit down [there are crew members all around you when you first board, ask one of them]. If you arrive after 1:30 forget-about-it!

Cruising and relaxing while doing it really takes planning. :)

I have heard that they do not start room service until 4 pm...

Thanks, Tracie! Kind of what I figured but figured it didn't hurt to ask! We'll be in Key West for several days prior to sailing, so we'll probably lunch on the road and arrive at the ship a little later in the afternoon.

Happy cruising! :)

Enjoy the Keys!

Also, if you get on the ship a little later than lunch time, you may find that the Lido is not so crowded.

Also, best kept secret;), grab a sandwiche or a shrimp salad at the International Cafe...

I love this. I think it will be my new cruising motto! I drive my family crazy with my incessant planning, so now I can use this as my response!

Honestly, it took me a long time and many, many cruising mishaps to finally learn this myself.

You keep on "planning"! Your family may make fun of you but they're the one's that are getting the best end of it, in the long run!!!

Thanks Mike for the extra time in checking your Patter for the dining room...thanks to everyone else, too, for your tips and info. I'd much prefer a quiet, peaceful lunch in the dining room to the crowded buffet.

Roz -- I have a beautiful chocolate Lab...best breed in the world!

Thanks Mike for the extra time in checking your Patter for the dining room...thanks to everyone else, too, for your tips and info. I'd much prefer a quiet, peaceful lunch in the dining room to the crowded buffet.

Roz -- I have a beautiful chocolate Lab...best breed in the world!

Thank you.....She's a double-coated, pure Black English Lab. She looks like a teddy bear. When she's out in the sun she absolutely shines and you can see that chocolate thing under her top coat, so gorgeous!!!!!

She'll be on her 14th cruise in November. She loves it!!!!! The smell of the sea is her most favorite thing.

Yes. It was in the Donatello Dining Room. It is open 12:00-1:30. Very enjoyable.:)

We are not Elite and have never been denied entrance to the dining room during the lunch service on embarkation day. We have dined exclusively in the dining room for lunch the first day on our last several Princess cruises and while in some instances we have had to be a bit persistent, once they catch on that you really do know they are open and serving we have always been welcomed.

I'm happy to report that on our most recent cruise on the Sea Princess just a couple of weeks ago persistence wasn't even necessary. The door was open and we were welcomed with no attempt to reroute us to the buffet. I think with the advent of the Bon Voyage program and the fact that it is becoming more widely known that lunch is served in the dining room between Noon and 1:30 p.m. on embarkation day perhaps they have lightened up on the deflection maneuvers.

And as for service, I must add that even though there have been a few times we have had to be persistent about getting in the door, we have always had extremely friendly and congenial service from our waitstaff during that initial lunch. So nice in fact that we have often sought the same waitstaff out for other lunches or evening meals.

We are going on the Sea Princess in a few weeks and we invited guests to join us for lunch. Am wondering what the menu was like when you were aboard the first day in the MDR for lunch?

On embarkation days wait staff from restaurants are often enlisted to help Cabin Stewards get the cabins ready for embarking pax, it is full on. Thus the the embarkation day lunch in restaurant is not always fully serviced.

Personally I would rather get on the ship late and let things quieten down at check in and in the eating areas.

The few times that we've eaten lunch in the MDR on embarkation day have been most enjoyable. In fact, on the Caribbean Princess last year, we had the best waiter imaginable. She was fantastic.

Archived