Anything GOOD to say about Summit?

JEDIKNIGHT

I'm sending someone on a Summit Bermuda cruise next week.

And while I know it's all subjective.....it seems Summit food is getting multiple food reviews that are not just so-so, but BAD.

I was on Summit in May,,,,and while I think the officers and crew of MERCURY could educate their Summit counterparts on many things....I found the food to be pretty good. Not quite Mercury....but very good. Only once was something overdone and the waiter had a new one to me in minutes.

So a plea.......

Any RECENT Summit cruisers out there? And can you tell me that the MDR food, lunch buffet food, and burger grill was GOOD?

took Summit on 8/22 cruise. We found the food to be good. Taste is very subjective, however. We had burgers at the pool once and they were freshly cooked and good. The french fries were nice and crispy.

Dinner in the MDR was quite good. Some at our table found certain dishes not hot enough, but everything I ate was nice and hot except the cold soups of course. By the way, I enjoyed the cold soups even the pea and butternut squash. Breakfast at the buffet was fine. I usually got an omelet made to order. Blueberry muffins were good as were the croissants. Cream of Wheat and oatmeal could have been thicker. The paninis were fine and good selection of fillings. A little disappointed in the pizza, but coming from Jersey we always have great pizza available.

Normandie was spectacular both food and service

We were on her during the week of 8/8. We found the MDR food to be good as we generally found something that we liked each evening. However the menu choices have gone downhill. My wife and daughter immediately noticed this, too. Those passengers that we met who had last sailed with Celebrity on Horizon and Zenith has the same opinion. We only cruise every other year and our last one was aboard Millennium in 2007.

The MDR food is only one (although important) aspect in our overall cruise experience. We were very happy with Summit's condition, service, and entertainment. We found the crew and staff to be excellent.

The food in the Normandie Restaurant was terrific. It was as good as the food that we ate at Millennium's Olympic Restaurant. Your Royal Suite friends may be entitled to a free meal there--either way you should persuade your friends to eat there at least once during their cruise.

The Summit food is good enough that we'll be on that cruise on Sunday.Don't buy into negative threads.We've been cruising Celebrity exclusively for the past 9 years.We are confident that if the food service dropped that rapidly on Summit Celebrity would fix it rapidly.Has the menu changed since we first started cruising?Yes if it hadn't you'd be reading more complaints.If you want to have a very good meal eat in the MDR.If you want a great meal eat in the specialty restaurant.Our reservation is for Mon. night.Your people should have a very good time unless they are nit pickers.

Was on the Summit on May 30th. The 4 of us consisted of a vegan, a vegetarian, a carnivore and a picky eater (myself). We had no problems with the food on the ship. It was not spectacular, but not bad either. My only complaint was with the grill......the burgers were pre-cooked and then left in some sort of hot plate. They did not taste great and when they added the ice cold slice of cheese which just came out of the freezer.......

Thanks for responses, keep the coming.

Yes I agree on the burger thing.

Although I was on Mercury this year and they actually were thinking all the time, trying to see to it that a majority of people in line got burgers right off the grill.

Just one of the small reasons I think Mercury is truly Celebrity, and my recent Summit cruise was a solid mass-market cruise.

We were on the 8/8 sailing. The executive chef recommended meat balls one night and pork belly another night. We are veteran Celebrity cruisers. The food has definitely taken two steps down. Portions are very small; not always hot. Salads are now served on a very small plate instead of a dinner-sized plate. Lots of pasta. In fact one night beef short ribs were offered as an entre. The next night was beef short rib lasagna. Anyone say left overs? But remember it is not just the Summit. These menus are fleet wide. We have decided not to cruise in February with Celebrity as a result.

We were on the Aug 15th sailing to New England/Canada. The food was good, lots of selection. The presentation was excellent and we didn't mind the smaller portions as we ate so much throughout the day it didn't bother us. The problem I would say would be the temperature of the meals. I had one miss but my dh had a couple of meals that just were not hot enough to enjoy. They looked beautiful but could have been better.

We took our 16th Celebrity cruise on the July 25 Summit sailing to New England/Canada and thought the quality and presentation of the food in both the MDR and Waterfall cafe was mediocre at best. I sent entrees back on three different evenings. We have seen the changes over the years and watched it go from excellent to usually very good. Our last MDR experience on the Solstice was very good and as a result, have booked the Equinox for New Year's and the Silhoutte for next fall.

If you look at other Celebrity food comments and reviews, no ship is taking a hit like the Summit. I know Customer Relations is reading the comment cards, because I got a phone call about two weeks after we returned. My only complaint on was the food. We had no problem with the condition of the ship and did nothing but praise the levels of service across the board. Hopefully, changes are and will continue to be made on the Summit.

We took our 16th Celebrity cruise on the July 25 Summit sailing to New England/Canada and thought the quality and presentation of the food in both the MDR and Waterfall cafe was mediocre at best. I sent entrees back on three different evenings. We have seen the changes over the years and watched it go from excellent to usually very good. Our last MDR experience on the Solstice was very good and as a result, have booked the Equinox for New Year's and the Silhoutte for next fall.

If you look at other Celebrity food comments and reviews, no ship is taking a hit like the Summit. I know Customer Relations is reading the comment cards, because I got a phone call about two weeks after we returned. My only complaint on was the food. We had no problem with the condition of the ship and did nothing but praise the levels of service across the board. Hopefully, changes are and will continue to be made on the Summit.

Are you sure about your memory of the food? The 25 July Summit cruise was to Bermuda. How do I know? I was on there. :eek:

I'm sorry it was a typo. We left on July 18 and returned on July 25, but my memory of the food is very accurate. I sent back three chef's recommendations - some horrible Rib Eye, the Pork Belly and the dried out Pork Chop. Our waiter was fantastic and did his best to make us happy.

We too are getting a little nervous about the food quality on Summit after reading the reviews. I hope that the people that aren't happy are letting Celebrity know so hopefully they can make improvements by our April cruise. This is our first cruise and dh is a big foodie so if he is disappointed this might be our first and last cruise ever never mind just on Summit!!!

Archived