Do Male crew have the same rights as female members?

Bakincakes

My Dh is just off of a "boys" cruise.

He and five of his friends had a great time but encountered a "situation".

They noticed that a "young" entertainer was constantly encountering the attentions of two middle aged women. These women were wherever he was and would gush and comment throughout his show....at first it was "cute" but then it got old really quickly as they would disturb the show with their comments.

My Dh and his buddies saw the guy in one of the bars and asked him where his "girlfriends" were, in a joking manner. The poor guy unloaded and said those two women were making his life miserable...he felt they were seeking him out onboard and hanging all over him. They asked him why he didn't complain and have staff ask those two women to back off..his answer was that he had complained and was basically told his job was to make pax happy and he had to put up with the unwanted attention.:eek:

I can't imagine a female crew member or entertainer having to put up with that kind of nonsense from a male pax. Maybe I'm wrong. It seems a bit out of line for RCI or any other line to expect their crew to put up with that kind of thing. They would certainly take action if things were switched and it was a crew member "stalking" a passenger.

Don't pax realize what fools they are making of themselves by acting in that manner?:confused:

Sounds like harassment, plain and simple. My guess is RCI has an open-door policy with regards to HR issues. If he did indeed complain and no action was taken he should have gone over that persons head. No passenger should have the right to solicit that way and no employee should have to endure a hostile work environment.

Gheesh, what the heck were these ladies thinking:eek:

I see that situation A LOT esp with the piano players......women hanging all over him..........he has to be nice in hopes they "put bread in his jar";)

I've never taken notice..but evidently it does happen and more often than it should.

"Sounds like harassment, plain and simple. My guess is RCI has an open-door policy with regards to HR issues. If he did indeed complain and no action was taken he should have gone over that persons head. No passenger should have the right to solicit that way and no employee should have to endure a hostile work environment.

Gheesh, what the heck were these ladies thinking:eek: "

I agree Wilda...who knows what they were thinking..if he was "nice" to them when they first started maybe they thought that was the green light to continue through the cruise?

I wonder how many crew have put up with that kind of "attention" and were afraid to say anything?

Gender has nothing to do with harassment in the US unless you count jurors' perceptions of norms in an actual court case. The criteria is pretty basic...unwanted, repetitive and considered offensive by a 3rd party (jury) and it's based on protected class (race, color, religion, SEX, national origin, age, veteran status or disability - may include other health status info). Considering the captain is the law on the sea I imagine the question would hinge on the captain and port of embarkation.

I see that situation A LOT esp with the piano players......women hanging all over him..........he has to be nice in hopes they "put bread in his jar";)

With regards to ^^ above post...let's just hope the women don't expect his bread in their jars...:eek::eek:

My (extremely handsome and charming) son used to work at a "mouse" theme park;) and experienced this kind of behavior from time to time. He developed a series of replies/responses which seemed to work most of the time. He would say things like "As flattered as I am, company rules do not allow fraternization". If they persisted, he would either play the "please don't get me fired" or "my fiance....." cards. Only once did he have to call security to "assist" an over-zealous and quite drunk lady to return to her hotel room.

Gender has nothing to do with harassment in the US unless you count jurors' perceptions of norms in an actual court case. The criteria is pretty basic...unwanted, repetitive and considered offensive by a 3rd party (jury) and it's based on protected class (race, color, religion, SEX, national origin, age, veteran status or disability - may include other health status info). Considering the captain is the law on the sea I imagine the question would hinge on the captain and port of embarkation.

Not true, there is absolutely no stipulation of "protected class" in the U.S. The law applies equally in any direction - male to female; female to male; male to male; female to female; majority to minority; minority to majority; superior to subordinate; subordinate to superior. And, the agrieved party doesn't need to go to a jury to consider the activity offensive.

I may be a bit dated on this observation, from reading 'Devils on the Deep Blue Sea.' It's my understanding many of these ships are chartered in foreign nations to avoid U.S. labor laws. Therefore, you see few U.S. citizens as crew, and the ships have to visit at least one foreign port before returning to a U.S. port.

So, does U.S. law determine how these matters are handled?

Also, while in principle an employee may have 'rights,' the practical reality of the situation might make going over a superior's head unwise. Life is not fair, and sometimes neither is management (in a broad sense; I'm not picking on RCI).

Richard.

Harassment is harassment, male or female.

Usually a female performer will have some kind of "handler" weather it be her husband, manager or friend who accompanies her with travel and takes care of situations that come up.

These women are making fools of themselves, too bad they just don't see it!

As horrible as the situation is, I don't think the people working on these ships have a lot of rights. At least not the way Americans/Canadians think of "rights". Complain too much and find yourself no longer needed. Entertainers are particularly vulnerable. U.S. Labor Laws don't apply on these ships as I understand it.

The working situation of crew members has always been an issue for me. They always put on a happy face, but I wonder if they really are happy. I know for some, they are making more then they ever would in their home country. I've never heard of an "undercover" investigation of the horrible working conditions of crew members and would like to think that if it was that awful people would be speaking out. I'd hate to think I am contributing to a problem.

As horrible as the situation is, I don't think the people working on these ships have a lot of rights. At least not the way Americans/Canadians think of "rights". Complain too much and find yourself no longer needed. Entertainers are particularly vulnerable. U.S. Labor Laws don't apply on these ships as I understand it.

The working situation of crew members has always been an issue for me. They always put on a happy face, but I wonder if they really are happy. I know for some, they are making more then they ever would in their home country. I've never heard of an "undercover" investigation of the horrible working conditions of crew members and would like to think that if it was that awful people would be speaking out. I'd hate to think I am contributing to a problem.

I don't think this is true at all. The work is hard and long, but I think the crew is treated well. Many come back year after year and are happy with the work.

I may be not reading enough into this post, but I don't see this as "horrible" or "harrassment". The women may have been showing undue attention to the lad, but it seems like he didn't ask them to stop, or use some other ruse to defuse their advances (if they were that). As another poster said, there isn't first hand knowledge in this thread. I would be very surprised if the crew had to tolerate having passengers "hanging" on them. The attention, yeah, I think that comes with the job. Advances and having passengers "hang" on them, no.

I don't think this is true at all. The work is hard and long, but I think the crew is treated well. Many come back year after year and are happy with the work.

But do they come back because they love it or because they make more money then they ever would in their home country? Keeping in mind the work situation in many countries is not what it is here in the U.S./Canada.

I have a job with fabulous benefits, great pay AND I hate almost every minute that I'm there. I don't quit, because I would never find another job that would provide so well for my family.

Definately getting off track. Bottom line harassment is wrong no matter who is doing the harrassing.

I may be not reading enough into this post, but I don't see this as "horrible" or "harrassment". The women may have been showing undue attention to the lad, but it seems like he didn't ask them to stop, or use some other ruse to defuse their advances (if they were that). As another poster said, there isn't first hand knowledge in this thread. I would be very surprised if the crew had to tolerate having passengers "hanging" on them. The attention, yeah, I think that comes with the job. Advances and having passengers "hang" on them, no.

Well browe, I sure as heck hope you are not my superior if I ever have that type of a situation happen to me. I can see it playing out...I go to you because a couple of people are making me extremely uncomfortable on more than one occassion... and all of a sudden, before I know it, I have to prove they were harassing me:eek::eek::eek: And quite possibly, I wasn't doing enough to diffuse the situation:eek::eek::eek: So now all of a sudden, the victim becomes the problem...just saying

The women were doing to a man, what men have done to women since the dawn of time. I don't see what they were doing as one bit worse than what men have done. It certainly is no worse just because they were silly women acting obnoxiously over a man. It is no worse when women are the predators than when men behave that way.

The truth is I feel sorry for anyone who is treated like a sex object regardless of their gender. The man could employ a trick women have used, wear a wedding ring or just tell the women graciously that he is in a committed relationship. If they had any scruples at all, that should have quietly been the end of their aggressive behavior. Some people of either gender can be pretty boneheaded though.

Would never happen on a ship with prodominantly English passengers because the ladies would have been discouraged by their fellow passengers quietly at first and then heckled down during performances if it continued. If they continued they would have been embarrassed into desisting by being identifed and shunned by the rest of the passengers, not to mention the complaints to reception.

Would never happen on a ship with prodominantly English passengers because the ladies would have been discouraged by their fellow passengers quietly at first and then heckled down during performances if it continued. If they continued they would have been embarrassed into desisting by being identifed and shunned by the rest of the passengers, not to mention the complaints to reception.

:confused: This has to be a joke, right? :eek: Surely therefore there should have been a wink or a grin icon - I despair if not!

Archived