Better to stay further up Las Ramblas away from port?

twoforcruise

I read somewhere that it is better to stay further away from the port area in Barcelona. I was hoping someone could explain this. Is it because it is busier the closer you get to the port? Are more pickpockets waiting in that area? Is further up Las Ramblas simply nicer? We are considering staying in mid Las Ramblas area, but may switch to a hotel toward the end of Las Ramblas or past placa catalunya. Anyone have any input?

Las Ramblas is about a mile long running from the edge of the port area to Placa Catalunya. We stayed in a hotel about a block off of Las Ramblas at the Placa Catalunya end and really enjoyed the experience. I've heard that the activity gets a bit livelier (read: rowdier) close to the port end late into the evening.

There may be some nice hotels on Las Ramblas but it is still "tourist central".

Restaurants and shops there are not the best in terms of food or value.

I'd stay closer to Placa Catalunya at the top or above in the Eixample district OR closer to the Cathedral or past that away from Las Ramblas.

Not sure what you mean "better" but we stayed right at Placa Catalunya and it was perfect location for our day and half there

I read somewhere that it is better to stay further away from the port area in Barcelona. I was hoping someone could explain this. Is it because it is busier the closer you get to the port? Are more pickpockets waiting in that area? Is further up Las Ramblas simply nicer? We are considering staying in mid Las Ramblas area, but may switch to a hotel toward the end of Las Ramblas or past placa catalunya. Anyone have any input?

I wasn't sure why some people suggested staying further inland away from the port area which is why I asked. I thought it had to do with it being more crowded or more pickpockets around. Perhaps it is just that Las Ramblas is 'louder' or more 'lively' toward the port area. I don't think hubby and I care for the "lively" or "loud" in the evening/night. I"m all for cheaper/better eateries. Thanks for the info, it will help us make a decision about which area is right for us.

We stayed at the Fira Palace Barcelona for a 3-night pre-Med cruise. Very lovely, congenial staff and easy to walk to outdoor restaurants and the Hop Off/On bus. As far as we are concerned, it doesn't matter where you stay...be on your guard for pickpockets!

As my friends and I were walking the length of Las Ramblas late one night, we did notice more "hooker" type women and strip club/"****" type touts at the port end of the street than up at the top (where we were staying). I will say they were polite - a simple "no, gracias" and they went away :rolleyes: Maybe it had something to do with us - one guy and two women! I'd say stay "upside" of the Boqueria, just based on what we saw.

Thanks for that info about the hookers/strip clubs slidergirl. I had read before that there was a particular street off of las ramblas toward the port that had a lot of that type of activity/businesses. I can't remember which street...? I didn't know they were also on the main las ramblas (especially toward the port).

There are two piers in Barcelona.

One of them is located within just a few minute walk from Las Rambles. It will really be no more crowded closer to the port than being directly on Las Rambles and I would contend it will be noisier and more crowded on Las Rambles. So, to me I would not pick one over the other because of crowds.

Keith

the port is not the issue -- unless you are planning to walk to the ship carrying your luggage.

The lower (near the port) section of Las Rambles goes through the old, Gothic section of town while the top end boarders on the Modernista section. The top end is Placa Catalunya, btw.

I usually stay near the Placa but that has nothing to do with the port.

I would think that you're talking about a noise and safety factor. We stayed on Gran Vie at the Silken Gran Havana. It seemed like a safer and quieter area and only a 10 minute walk from Ramblas. But we're staying closer to Place Catalunya next summer at the Regina, based on recommendations and pricing for a room for four people. Good luck with your selection.

I"m sure it will be wise to stay alert anywhere we are in Barcelona, but yes, safety and noise are the main concerns. In my research, it looks like many people recommend staying closer to placa catalunya. Are the reasons for travel convenience, do all buses stop there, taxis available, etc? Is the food that much better above las ramblas?

Yes , Yes, and YES!!

Las Ramblas itself is where tourists go to play and pickpockets follow.

The locals stay away from it and eat and play either closer to Picasso Museum,or above Placa Catalunya, or even further up in the Gracia area.

Placa Catalunya is kind of in the middle of everything so you can have the feel of Las Ramblas(if you choose) + easily get to the old part of the city + the newER Eixample part of the city.

There are good restaurants in many areas but "good" means different things to different folks.

IF by good you mean "foodie" then you'll find more in the Eixample or El Born areas. IF by good you mean low cost then you'll probably find that all over but not right ON Las Ramblas.

L. Ramblus noisy late. Recently staye d several blocks off it futher down to port at EL Canton, a very nice budget choice with breakfast in late Nov. Booked thru Venere.com which often use for Europe.52E. Your $$, passports belong in moneybelt worn low under jeans. No white gymshoes.

I"m sure it will be wise to stay alert anywhere we are in Barcelona, but yes, safety and noise are the main concerns. In my research, it looks like many people recommend staying closer to placa catalunya. Are the reasons for travel convenience, do all buses stop there, taxis available, etc? Is the food that much better above las ramblas?

Catalyna is right where the cheap airport direct bus stops, metro as well as the tourist office - we stayed up there and didn't find it noisy at all and probably not as busy as midway down the Ramblas. I don't really think that a couple of blocks up or down makes a difference as far as food quality. There are a lot of different types of food places along the entire Ramblas, yes many are touristy, but you would need to go a few blocks off the main street for more local restaurants. At least if you are not adventurous, most restaurants have english menus and cater to tourists.

Archived