OBC's from Travel Agents

oshawa

Just curious, do cruisers normally expect some on board credits or "gifts" from their TA's after booking a cruise, for instance an SA on board a Med cruise 10 days in total? Should one expect this when a cruise is so expensive?

I have been a regular cruiser with the TA in question over a number of years and have recommended her to many of my friends who have also booked cruises with her. ? Am I being too expectant

Your comments would be appreciated.

Just curious, do cruisers normally expect some on board credits or "gifts" from their TA's after booking a cruise, for instance an SA on board a Med cruise 10 days in total? Should one expect this when a cruise is so expensive?

I don't "expect" anything, and on some cruises we've gotten no bennies ... but on this one we've been promised two $50 beverage cards and a PG dinner.

I, too, was unaware of what to expect from my TA. Truth be told, I used her services for many year and many trips, some were very expensive! I even referred another couple to her, who in turn recommended others to her. It was always the same, not so much as a bottle of wine, even when we were celebrating a milestone anniversary where we renewed our vows onboard! I learned from this board that is not always the case. I did my homework and started a using a TA that "specializes" in certain cruise lines and am now the happy recipient of onboard credits, "included" gratuities, etc. I know that we are not permitted to mention TA's by name, but if you do your homework, you can figure it out. I even used a "warehouse" TA and received 10% off the lowest fare on a particular cruise.

Good luck!

Kathie

We have always gotten something from our TA's. We have used both a traditional and an on-line TA to book our cruises. Both have given us a bottle of wine and free dinner at a specialty restaurant (NCL) as a bare minimum.

The trip we booked last week on HAL the on-line TA gave us a $500 OBC for booking a SC suite.

I always look for OBC when booking as the cruises themselves don't seem to be as discounted as a few years ago.

We recently booked a Prinsendam from one of our favorite online TAs and received a $1050 onboard credit. This credit was not available if we booked direct from HA. In addition, this TA was able to sell us the cruise for a better price that we could get direct from HA. We have long advised cruisers to shop around for the best deals and are constantly puzzled why some folks think it makes sense to buy from the most expensive outlet.

Hank

I never expect anything, but am pleasantly surprised when there is a bottle of wine waiting for me.

On our last cruise, though, we went to the TA to make final payment and she asked if I prefered red or white and handed me the bottle as we left the building! Sorry, but I felt that was just tacky.

I wouldn't say I expect it - but it is why I prefer my TA vs booking through HAL.

This upcoming trip I kinda do expect something special since I referred a friend that did at $10k booking with her... a little OBC or a bottle of wine would be a nice "thank you" on her part.

Some travel agencies (including the one we use) have a stated policy to improve any cruise line's offer with additional ship board credits, pre-paid gratuities, etc. We always get either a lower price than being quoted by the cruise line or OBC, or paid gratuities.... sometimes more than one of these "bennie's". It pays to shop for the type of TA you want.

What I expect is reliable service, not a gift. I appreciate a gift if I receive one, but it's totally not necessary.

I much prefer the service in advance, and a "welcome home; how was everything?" when I get back. That takes time.

I have been a regular cruiser with the TA in question over a number of years and have recommended her to many of my friends who have also booked cruises with her. ? Am I being too expectant

Your comments would be appreciated.

I am both a TA and a HAL enthusiast and use OBC as a 'thank you' to valued clients and generally the more that is spent the larger the OBC should be. Should it be expected? Well, everyone's opinion will vary on that question but to me not every time.

FWIW I usually try and offer value added inclusions rather than a straightforward OBC which to me says about as much as family who gives you gift cards for Xmas; there isn't as much thought put into the gift and so it's that little less personal. Instead I try to pay for the Pinnacle Grill, flowers or chocolates in the room, champagne at embarkation or a wine tasting class but something that's a little more tailored than a plain old OBC.

It depends on the price. Does your TA give you a discount compared to HAL's site?? If you get a discount than -- I would not expect OBC.

There are plenty of WEB agents that give OBC's, travel insurance and other gifts -- in lieu of an upfront discount.

nada from the TA we dealt with ... the TA and spouse were also on our cruise but chose to spend their time with those individuals who had gone on the cruisetour before joining us on the ship in Skagway ... and of course those folks paid much more for their trip, so we suspect that's why we were ignored.

upon our return our only correspondence from the TA has been solicitations for more cruises.

We expect good service & the lowest price. Our TA has never disappointed in these two critical areas, which is why we're loyal to her. We sing her praises every chance we get. We never expect anything beyond this, but have always been pleasantly surprised & touched by her thoughtful gifts: wine presented at an anniversary dinner, chocolate-covered strawberries & champagne on the 1st formal night, slippers & robes on another cruise.

The best gift she's given us, however, has been a call a day or two after we've arrived home to welcome us back and to set up a luncheon date so she can hear all about our trip. She wants to hear the good & the bad. Once she took an issue up with the cruise line (not HAL) and got us future credits toward another cruise. We weren't even aware she was advocating for us. Sadly we never used this generous offer because a month after she presented us with the certificates DH lost his job.

Anyway, I hope she never retires, as I'm not sure we could ever find another TA as gracious.

Some travel agencies (including the one we use) have a stated policy to improve any cruise line's offer with additional ship board credits, pre-paid gratuities, etc. We always get either a lower price than being quoted by the cruise line or OBC, or paid gratuities.... sometimes more than one of these "bennie's". It pays to shop for the type of TA you want.

In addition to everything I mentioned earlier I should have added that we've always gotten great service from our agent... The "entire package" is why we keep going back. :)

I don't expect anything from my TA other than a good price and reliable service. Getting $50 of OBC's or a couple of bottles of wine or whatever doesn't do it for me, saving 10-20% does. :)

Saving 10-20%? The TA"s I have spoken to told me their commission is 16%, but some will split that amount if you transfer your booking to them. You must mean finding a TA who has a group booking in a category stateroom that you want?

Most probably. It has worked consistently for us for a number of years. We actually have three providers that we have used over the years and we check with each when we're ready for a cruise. Mind you we only use a TA to book the cruise, we arrange our own hotels, flights, etc., so we're not looking for much assistance.

We do not and have not received an OBC, but what we have received from her is great service and advice. She has helped a few times while we have been on one of our cruises when we had a problem that was greatly appreciated. She has even credited us for failed promises of a tour company at a destination out of her own pocket.

nada from the TA we dealt with ... the TA and spouse were also on our cruise but chose to spend their time with those individuals who had gone on the cruisetour before joining us on the ship in Skagway ... and of course those folks paid much more for their trip, so we suspect that's why we were ignored.

upon our return our only correspondence from the TA has been solicitations for more cruises.

We factor in the OBC when comparing quotes. For our upcomming HAL Mexican Riveria cruise I emailed the TA when I found a lower price before final payment and he increased the OBC so our price was still the lowest.

We take the longer cruises & always get a good discount of 7% to 10% from our Travel Agent plus a generous OBC, plus Wine & the Pinnacle grill..

We only factor in the OBC when we compare prices against the HAL WEB site or other Agents prices..

We start by using a WEB site which had once advertised on CC in order to compare other agents who bid on the cruise we want..

In every case our TA has beaten the priice..Only once or twice did we have to move the cruise a week ahead or a week behind in order to get his group discount...But that is usually no problem for us as we are retired..

Cheers....:)Betty

Archived