Those wondering if they should get a passport:

G&TQ

I am getting mine tomorrow after not having it for 3 cruises...just in case...never had any problems though in the past with just a bc and dl.

btw- passports are now $110. plus...the cost of a photo..which is 15-35 dollars depending on where you go. :rolleyes:

I can see why ppl whouldn't jump to get them. Its not cheap...and they aren't mandos...so...yeah....I think its your choice...and if something happens then its your own fault...but ppl shouldn't jump down ur throat for not having one...its not affecting them!!

Hi. I just have a question about passports. We applied for my DH passport yesterday. Our cruise is November 27th. Will we get it in time? If it doesn't come what do I do since I had to hand over his birth certificate? They said it would be mailed back. And our two sons are 10 and 7 their birth certificates have a seal and say from the department of vital statistics. I am getting paranoid that we have to get them passports too. If I apply next week for theirs will we get them in time? Sorry if this sounds crazy but I am really nervous because this is our first family trip in 6 years and I would be devastated if we were denied boarding.

If you are worried about DH getting his passport in time, you can go ahead and get another OFFICIAL copy of his birth certificate in the meantime. SO you wind up 2 official copies of his birth certificate. Might be worth if for your peace of mind.

Make sure you are on a closed loop cruise, because you can travel on those with official birth certificates.

Then go ahead and get the children passports when you get home. You will be glad you did.

I am getting mine tomorrow after not having it for 3 cruises...just in case...never had any problems though in the past with just a bc and dl.

btw- passports are now $110. plus...the cost of a photo..which is 15-35 dollars depending on where you go. :rolleyes:

I can see why ppl whouldn't jump to get them. Its not cheap...and they aren't mandos...so...yeah....I think its your choice...and if something happens then its your own fault...but ppl shouldn't jump down ur throat for not having one...its not affecting them!!

I agree, its their problem (person not having a passport). No skin off my nose if they can't catch up to the ship if their plane is delayed or cancel. Or if you have trouble getting home from any non US port (that includes the Caribbean) because they missed the ship. Or got sick or haven forbid someone dies at home.

I just don't want to hear about it, because you decide NOT to get a passport. And then your vacation was ruined.:rolleyes:

Laura

Watch this video....this is good enough reason to have a passport. Why increase your chances and hassle to get back into the US if you can avoid it. Pay the little bit of extra money and get your passport. We all say we will not miss the ship, etc. But there is no guarantee of that. This is life and stuff happens.

Of course, she could have gotten one in a couple of days with the expedited service, so I'm not sure I agree that that's a compelling reason to get a passport.

Didn't say it was a compelling reason but actually they asked who had a passport when they were deciding who to send on the trip. Certainly she could have paid the fee to get an expedited passport,but if someone else already had one in hand, it is likely that they would have gotten the assignment. All I was trying to convey is the fact that having a passport opens up a whole world of travel opportunities including times when there might not even be sufficient time to use the expedited service. :)

Didn't say it was a compelling reason but actually they asked who had a passport when they were deciding who to send on the trip. Certainly she could have paid the fee to get an expedited passport,but if someone else already had one in hand, it is likely that they would have gotten the assignment. All I was trying to convey is the fact that having a passport opens up a whole world of travel opportunities including times when there might not even be sufficient time to use the expedited service. :)

Good point. And I'm an advocate of passports, but I can't help arguing, LOL.:)

Passports are much more than $5. They're like $100. Also, you did make it seem like those documents you cited stated that a passport is required to cruise, which it is not. Again, I have one and wouldn't travel w/out it - I even take it when I travel within the country (stupid habit, it usually never leaves my carry-on) but I still don't understand why anyone would care about what someone else does..? Who give a flyin ....

You might read your quote again. Nobody said it only cost $10. It was $10 per year if you pro-rate it. Read for yourself...

the cost of an adult beverage or a fast food meal a year

I just like having one..... It makes me feel like I'm a world traveler, and I can pick up and go anywhere I want with a minutes notice! :D Our 9yo son thinks it's neat to look at all the stamps in his - not like he's been to a lot of places, but he's on his second passport and his first one had a pretty impressive 11 stamps when we had to retire it!

For those U.S. citizens who have been swayed to obtain a passport by this "conversation":

http://travel.state.gov/passport/

By routine service (not expedited) mail, I received my original and renewal in approximately 1 month both times. There is a nice FAQ section which might be better for people to read than these posts on why someone might need one.

For those who haven't been swayed, so what as I consider it their business and it doesn't affect me what-so-ever.

To repeat my question above... if exaggerations and factually incorrect information is being posted, what is the correct response?

What is the contrast you see between a passport versus other documents? For many cruises you are told you need either a valid passport or a valid birth cirtificated and DL to board. A valid passport is no better or no worse than a valid versions of other documents. For both, you need to be sure you have the right documents and that they are valid.

You were making a differntion between the two that I think is incorrect. You used the word "guarantee" which I hope we all agree in not appropriate. How should I have responded?

You used the word "guarantee" when we all agree there is no guarantee. Can you see why that would make your "simple statement" a bit hard to understand?

That's perfectly clear. Now substitute "driver's licence and birth certificate" in place of passport and you get an equally true statement. Right?

wrong. lets say you go on a closed loop cruise that has ports in mexico or the carribean, and you need to fly home for whatever reason midway thru the cruise, with passports you can fly home from mexico or the carribean, with "other documents" you have to go thru hoops to prove you are who you say you are and then you can fly home.

Isn't it exactly the same with other ID? As long as you bring the appropriate and valid other ID, you cannot go wrong.

Perfect! Here's where my point is.

Yes, it is exactly the same thing with other ID. They all need to be current, original documents, etc.

My basic point is that not everyone understands what makes for a valid other ID (by "other", I mean other than a passport). There are not different types of passports. There are, however, different other forms of ID (birth certificate vs birth registration, etc). So, yes, if they understand what is a valid form of other ID, they are good to board. Problem is, a lot of people don't know.

Hi. I just have a question about passports. We applied for my DH passport yesterday. Our cruise is November 27th. Will we get it in time? If it doesn't come what do I do since I had to hand over his birth certificate? They said it would be mailed back. And our two sons are 10 and 7 their birth certificates have a seal and say from the department of vital statistics. I am getting paranoid that we have to get them passports too. If I apply next week for theirs will we get them in time? Sorry if this sounds crazy but I am really nervous because this is our first family trip in 6 years and I would be devastated if we were denied boarding.

You should definitely get DH's passport in time and you would also get your kids' in time if you apply soon, as well. I would recommend you go ahead and do that just for peace of mind. As many others have already posted, they're guaranteed to be the proper documentation you need to board the ship and they will be invaluable if you somehow get stranded in port or, heaven forbid, need to rush home for an emergency.

DD will be 15 months old when she cruises with us in December and we went ahead and got her both the passport and the passport card. The card is only an additional $10 fee if you order it when you order the regular passport. Now we will all have some type of photo ID to take off the ship with us. We typically don't take our passports off for fear of losing them, but we always do have a photo ID and we e-mail copies of our passports to ourselves and a family member for easy access just in case. I know it's not as good as having the physical document in hand, but we figure that a) then we can't lose it/have it stolen and b) at least we still have access to some type of proof of citizenship should the need arise.

Edited to add - I'd also note that if it's coming down to the wire and you still haven't received your passports in the mail, there is a number you can call and they will rush the processing to make sure it gets to you on time. When we went on our honeymoon, I still hadn't received my passport with the name change on it 10 days before we were to leave so I called and I got it within 2 days.

Edited to add the following clear statement:

Having a valid unexpired passport in you possession issued by your country's government agency that has your correct and legitimate information and it matches your cruising documents and you are standing at the correct cruise line terminal check-in for the correct cruise line, ship and sailing date if you present THAT passport that clearly belongs to you, I can guarantee you have the correct boarding document required to allow you to embark on the ship. If for some other reason you are not allowed on the ship, it WON'T be because you don't have the required travel documents. There, is that clear enough now?

That's perfectly clear. Now substitute "driver's licence and birth certificate" in place of passport and you get an equally true statement. Right?

No, not if it's not a closed loop cruise leaving from and departing from the same US port, or doesn't meet the other conditions of the new passport rules/exceptions.;)

Can I bring my own bottled water?

Quote:

Originally Posted by andiloveu

YOu can check here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/sta...atus_2567.html

You should have them in time..5 weeks is the longest that I have heard of personally. Don't be nervous! I have found the passport folks are the one government division that runs smoothly!

My brother had an emergency when his youngest daughter, adopted, needed a new PP for a trip to Korea...he used the expedited service and had it in 48 hours..This was the service from the government not some of those that you see advertised. Avoid those...you end up doing all the work anyway!

THe kid's passports are only good for 5 years, but I always feel more comfortable having them, even if it is just on a cruise. YoOu have 2 months...relax and plan your excursions!!!

Kat

%%%%%%%

This thread is getting so long that we are repeating thins 100 posts later!!!!

Gotta go order my booze bra.

You might read your quote again. Nobody said it only cost $10. It was $10 per year if you pro-rate it. Read for yourself...

The person who I quoted did say it cost only $5-$10: "As I said earlier I don't understand why for the cost of an adult beverage or a fast food meal a year you wouldn't have a passport."

Doesn't say per month... I don't know where you got that quote from but it wasn't even you who I quoted - but whatever, who cares. My point is simple: I have a passport, but it doesn't mean I have the right to tell other people what to do.

I see a double standard being applied to make a passport seem to be better than other ID.

If you compare a valid passport with the BC/DL, it is "better" in the big picture. The BC/DL can only be used in certain very limited instances; the passport can be used in far more travel scenarios. Even in the smaller picture, it is "better." If one misses the ship with only a BC/DL, one will have to go to lengths that will not be required of a passport holder (extra hassle/possible significant expense to get home; in most cases that means obtaining an emergency passport), which makes the passport "better" ID.

However, the BC/DL is quite sufficient in a closed loop cruise situation where no one misses the ship or has to fly home for some reason. The passport, because it provides far greater flexibility, is "better." But in the above described situation, the "better" ID is not necessary and one can function perfectly well with the inferior ID.

There are many valid reasons why someone would choose to use an ID that is merely sufficient for their cruise. The risk that they would live to regret that choice is probably pretty small in the majority of cases. I totally understand why people decline to get passports which are not required for their cruises.

Yeah, but until the government agrees to pro-rate the cost of passports, that "it only costs $10 per year" line just seems really lame to me (and I'm an enthusiastic passport holder). Right now passports are $100 payed in advance, not a pro-rated cost of $10 per year. If you only have $10 right now, you get jack.

And if you mean $10/yr for 10 years that's kind of ridiculous. I mean, I can justify buying just about anything for $10/yr for x years. Plus, $10 a year for the life of the passport is not what it costs. But again - whatever.

Perfect! Here's where my point is.

Yes, it is exactly the same thing with other ID. They all need to be current, original documents, etc.

My basic point is that not everyone understands what makes for a valid other ID (by "other", I mean other than a passport). There are not different types of passports. There are, however, different other forms of ID (birth certificate vs birth registration, etc). So, yes, if they understand what is a valid form of other ID, they are good to board. Problem is, a lot of people don't know.

There are different types of passports. Just ask the Haudenosaunee Indians.

Archived