Mykonos 1 PM-6 PM what to do?

luvtocook

Princess has changed our port time from arriving @ 1 AM to now arriving @ 1 PM.

Any suggestions on "must see's" for this short time? We wanted to go to Delos, but that is probably out of the question unless they offer a ship's excursion.

Would love to hear from all the seasoned visitors, this is our first time here.

I can understand that you might be disappointed that your time in Mykonos has been cut short by the re-scheduling. It will probably only give you about 4 - 4 1/2 hours, taking into account the time to get from ship to land (I think it will be a tender port) and then the time to be back on the ship at the designated hour.

However, the tender landing point is virtually right "in town" and it is a charming place to just wander around. There's the famous windmills, lots of lovely little shops and tavernas. Nowhere is very far and it is easy walking. However, most of the streets are cobblestoned - part of its charm.

Treat it as a relaxing day. Most Med cruises are very port-intensive and therefore very busy. A relaxing day can be very welcome to avoid body overwork and brain overload.

I agree with Goldygolfer. You'll have plenty of time to have a great time wandering the narrow streets and taking in the sites and views of this charming Greek island. Other than beaches and resorts, there's not a great deal to be found outside of the main town where your tender will drop you off. I'm confident that you're going to have a wonderful day in port.

Thank you all. I am SOOOOOO confused, our itinerary has said all along we arrive @ 1 AM, then yesterday someone on the roll call pointed out that at the bottom of the personalizer, there was a note saying 1 PM. This morning I wanted to print it to show someone else where it said that and now it says 1 AM!!:confused:

We are Elite+ with Celebrity, but this is our first Princess cruise. Wonder who I should call to get the REAL answer??? I am going to re-book the 10:45 ship excursion to Delos and see what happens. Maybe we can do both, the town & Delos after all.

Whoo Hoo, just spoke with CS @ Princess and they confirmed the 1 AM arrival, I re-booked our excursion to Delos, now we will have time for that AND the town!!!:D

That's an interesting arrival time for Mykonos. Where are you the day before?

We are leaving Corfu at 6pm I believe.

Actually Avril, we're leaving Athens the day before @ 5:45 PM--another weird time!!! What's with the 45 instead of 6 PM???

The itinerary has said all along we arrive in Mykonos @ 1 AM and Princess customer service reps have confirmed it to me twice now over the phone.

Anyone can look at the itin---Star Princess 11/10/10 Venice-Rome.

Actually Avril, we're leaving Athens the day before @ 5:45 PM--another weird time!!! What's with the 45 instead of 6 PM???

The itinerary has said all along we arrive in Mykonos @ 1 AM and Princess customer service reps have confirmed it to me twice now over the phone.

When we sailed out of Athens this summer (to Santorini) we didn't depart until 10pm and arrived around 7am. I wonder why they don't give you more time in Athens and then arrive in Mykonos in the morning? Maybe the dock is needed for another ship??

Pireaus is an extremely busy port with a narrow "exit" and with many ferries leaving around 6 PM. 5:45 may be compared to a slot time leaving an airport!

Screwcork

Any suggestions on "must see's" for this short time? We wanted to go to Delos, but that is probably out of the question unless they offer a ship's excursion. Would love to hear from all the seasoned visitors, this is our first time here.

Hi, Lynn! You've got lots of great and interesting options with Mykonos. Below are some visual options to consider from our visit there. We did walking around the main village/town in the morning and then got a rental car to explore the island and beaches in the afternoon. It is not a big island. Hopefully there will not be too many other large ships in port when you visit there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 20,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

At the fish docks in Mykonos:

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

A Mykonos church with a dining area in front of this building:

MikChurDining.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. This includes Agrari, Elia and the long sweeping Kalafatis beach that has become famous to wind surfers:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

Those port times really suck and does severely limit options. It would be impossible to go to Delos on your own and unless, your ship makes a special stop to offload a Delos tour (they can do this in the morning before arriving at Mykonos) there will probably not even be a Delos tour. The problem is that Delos is normally closed in the afternoon (as a rule everyone is off the island by around 2pm). As to Mykonos you will have plenty of time to enjoy Mykonos Town and this is probably where you should spend your entire day. We generally like to use Mykonos as a beach stop (this is why most folks go to Mykonos) but you will not have enough time to enjoy a few beach hours plus explore the delightful town.....so we simply recommend staying in town. If your ship offers a tour to Delos they will probably offload the folks about 11:30 at Delos, they will get perhaps 1 1/2 hours on Delos (enough) and than will be brought over to Mykonos on a ferry boat where the tour group would still have a few hours to explore town. This is actually a pretty decent option if they do offer this type of tour.

Hank

Those port times really suck and does severely limit options. It would be impossible to go to Delos on your own and unless, your ship makes a special stop to offload a Delos tour (they can do this in the morning before arriving at Mykonos) there will probably not even be a Delos tour. The problem is that Delos is normally closed in the afternoon (as a rule everyone is off the island by around 2pm). As to Mykonos you will have plenty of time to enjoy Mykonos Town and this is probably where you should spend your entire day. We generally like to use Mykonos as a beach stop (this is why most folks go to Mykonos) but you will not have enough time to enjoy a few beach hours plus explore the delightful town.....so we simply recommend staying in town. If your ship offers a tour to Delos they will probably offload the folks about 11:30 at Delos, they will get perhaps 1 1/2 hours on Delos (enough) and than will be brought over to Mykonos on a ferry boat where the tour group would still have a few hours to explore town. This is actually a pretty decent option if they do offer this type of tour.

Hank

Hank, I think you may have missed a previous post of mine. The ship IS arriving at 1 AM. The ship is offering 2 tours to Delos,1 @ 8:00 and 1 @ 10:45. We have booked the 8:00 one which will return us to Mykonos @ 11:30 which is plenty of time to stroll about town. Since we are there this November, beach is not a great option anyway. We sail @ 6 PM.

Princess has been arriving into Mykonos around 1:00 am on several cruises throughout the 2010 season. Someone suggested that it may be because the docking vs tendering situation at Mykonos may be a "first come, first served" deal, and docking here is better than tendering, despite the distance from the town -- the main reason it is better to dock is that winds can pick up during the day and make it tough to tender, which would leave the captain options ranging from shortening the port times to cancelling altogether.

At any rate, I don't doubt that the early morning arrival is accurate in this case.

We just got back from this very same cruise on the Star. WE sailed 9/23. We docked at 1 a.m. and did the 8 a.m. to Delos. It was wonderful. It is an amazing site. Beware there are steps and lots of up hill inclines. We had a great breeze that day so temps were not too bad. The ride over was nice too.

If you have any questions about this cruise, let me know.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Did you have plenty of time to tour the town when you got back?

This wonderful village in Mykonos is not that large. You can see lots of it and enjoy the many nice views and vistas in just an hour. You can spend more time, but an hour will give you a very good sampling for this charming community, its dock-side places, taking pictures, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now nearly at 20,800 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We will also be on the Star stopping in Mykonos in June, 2011. For those of you who do beach days there, what would you recommend for a nice swim, not too far from town that could be accessed by taxi or bus easily and inexpensively - just for a couple of hours during the day.

Thanks,

YaYa

Interesting arrival time. And of course that means it is easy to go to Delos on your own. Must admit we are perplexed about the 1 am thing as it certainly is unusual.

Hank

Yes it is which is why it sparked so much chit chat on the roll call, speculating that they MEANT PM instead of AM!!! We leave Athens the day before at 5:45, another unusual time I think.

We just got back from this very same cruise on the Star. WE sailed 9/23. We docked at 1 a.m. and did the 8 a.m. to Delos. It was wonderful. It is an amazing site. Beware there are steps and lots of up hill inclines. We had a great breeze that day so temps were not too bad. The ride over was nice too.

If you have any questions about this cruise, let me know.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, since you went to Delos, are there restroom facilities, like in the museum?

Hi Cheryl, since you went to Delos, are there restroom facilities, like in the museum?

There are restrooms at the snack shop which is near the museum. Keep in mind that Delos is open and exposed to the sun and winds (if any). The only buildings are the entrance, the museum, and the snack bar. Make sure you wear sun screen and a hat and if you are sun sensitive take an umbrella for shade. Plus it doesn't hurt to take water!

here is a view of the island (I have no idea what the buildings in the distance are. I think they are dorms for the archeologists but they are not open to the public.) Mykonos is in the distance.

4693203854_9f92d6e5f1_b_d.jpg

Archived