Help!!! Lost Passport leaving tomorrow!!!

matondo

So here we are the next day and still no posting from Matondo and I'm taking that as positive. I'm hoping that means that somehow they've solved the problem and were able to take their trip. Definitely a no news is good news situation. Good for them! :)

I think the OP is a fake - he/she would have come back to tell us.

Don't waste anymore time on this.

Yeah - cause posting on CC is the first thing I'd run to do when the situation was resolved..... NOT

Did anyone who have been following this thread not go look for their passports last night or today? I think most of us probably wanted to be sure where ours are.

I kinda went through this 2 months ago. I found our xerox copies of our passports from the last trip (in a suitcase I was about to use for another trip) and noticed that mine was going to expire before the end of the year. Major panic for 2 days while we searched and searched the house for it so that I could renew. It's not a fun experience. At least I knew I had time to report it lost and get a new one - but I really didn't want to do that.

Here's hoping all HAS worked out for the best.

You only need your driver's license, Carol. Don't get nervous when Security holds your ID until you leave the ship. That is routine. Enjoy your visit. :)

I was just on the Massdam and Eurodam yesterday in Halifax and we only needed our drivers lisenes, which has our photo, and they didn't even keep it while we were viewing the ships. Howevere we were told before we went that they would keep them.

What a great day, 2 ships at once. Had early lunch on the Massdam then after lunch we were bused over to the Eurodam. The E-dam was at Pier 21 or 22 i forget which and the M-dam was at pier 31. There were 5 ships in Hfx. yesterday.

I sure hope the OP found her Passport or at least was able to secure new one in time. I've checked to make sure mine was locked up.

Helen

that depends on what country you are visiting. some, egypt for example, require you have your passport on your person. several other countries i've been to are the same.

;) Carol lives in NY and is visiting Veendam when she is in port there Sunday. That does not involve border crossing and international identification. You may want to reread her post so you will know about what she was speaking.

I was just on the Massdam and Eurodam yesterday in Halifax and we only needed our drivers lisenes, which has our photo, and they didn't even keep it while we were viewing the ships. Howevere we were told before we went that they would keep them.

What a great day, 2 ships at once. Had early lunch on the Massdam then after lunch we were bused over to the Eurodam. The E-dam was at Pier 21 or 22 i forget which and the M-dam was at pier 31. There were 5 ships in Hfx. yesterday.

I sure hope the OP found her Passport or at least was able to secure new one in time. I've checked to make sure mine was locked up.

Helen

Wow..... five ships in Halifax in one day. That had to be amazing. When we're in Halifax on Maasdam, we're almost always the only ship in.

Hope you enjoyed your ship tours/visits.

I sense that no news is good news.:) In most cases, you don't post on CC while on an airplane. Though it is now available.

No matter what. A good lesson and reminder for all.

If they did not bring a laptop with them, they have no easy means to communicate. I think they were able to go on their trip and we will hear back upon their return. Sooner, if they hit up an internet cafe.

So here we are the next day and still no posting from Matondo and I'm taking that as positive. I'm hoping that means that somehow they've solved the problem and were able to take their trip. Definitely a no news is good news situation. Good for them! :)

Actually the "next day" was yesterday. Matondo originally posted on the 29th and followed up as recently as early yesterday morning with an update. Not surprised we didn't hear again and hopefully that's good news.

No way CtheWorld would know about Carol's "visit" to the Veendam being just lunch with a friend. Since that was specially arranged and generally not the norm, how would anyone know what she meant? Reading her post carefully doesn't explain it.

No way CtheWorld would know about Carol's "visit" to the Veendam being just lunch with a friend. Since that was specially arranged and generally not the norm, how would anyone know what she meant? Reading her post carefully doesn't explain it.

I knew what she meant: she is visiting the Veendam on Sunday. If she was going on a cruise, she would have said so, and if she was just going to have a look at it, I am sure she would have said so. I have seen here posts about both such occasions before.

We 'visited' the Eurodam on its first US call in New York (and IIRC Carol was disembarking!); there was a Mariners' brunch on board. We needed to provide passport numbers when we RSVPed, but only needed a drivers license to get on board.

Wonderful, Peter ... you knew what she meant because you have visited a ship in that way. I knew what she meant because I knew Carol was meeting up with a friend. But not everyone would necessarily know what she meant. There was a time it was easy to hop on and "visit" a ship, now it's not.

So I think it's only fair to cut someone some slack whose first reaction to Carol's post might possibly not be ... Oh!!! She must be just having lunch and leaving. Suggesting that someone should "read more carefully" is always an insult no matter how you slice it.

;) Carol lives in NY and is visiting Veendam when she is in port there Sunday. That does not involve border crossing and international identification. You may want to reread her post so you will know about what she was speaking.

or you could respond 'since you are only visiting....'

the original topic of this thread was about international travel. i don't re-read entire threads to weed out the non-relavent chat, and i'm sure most don't either. when i see what appears to be a blanket statement saying 'you only need a driver's license' without any qualification, i want to post precise information. the devil is in the details.

Ours is in our safe deposit box at the bank. After last night I began to wonder if I really did put it back.

many years ago when I was in the travel business, I had a frantic call on a Sat. morning from a client. His daughter had been injured while touring in Europe and he needed to get there asap. One major problem............... passports were in the safe deposit box. No way to get them out until Monday morning. He was finally able to leave on Mon. night and all turnded out well. But from then on, my passprt never went to the bank.

I don't want to take this too far off topic, but how common/easy/difficult to "visit" a ship in port?

Here's someone else who was clueless what she meant by her 'visit to Veendam' other than that she might have been cruising to Bermuda on Sunday. Why would anyone have a reason to know she was visiting a friend on the Veendam for just that afternoon, even after taking "instructions" to reread. I can read very well, thank you, as I'm sure CtheWorld can, but there was nothing there to give the ordinary reader a clue that Carol was from NY, had a friend going on the Veendam, nor that she was planning on a personal onboard visit. If she had posted it on any other thread, not everyone hear lives and breathes HAL 24/7 so they may have missed it.

many years ago when I was in the travel business, I had a frantic call on a Sat. morning from a client. His daughter had been injured while touring in Europe and he needed to get there asap. One major problem............... passports were in the safe deposit box. No way to get them out until Monday morning. He was finally able to leave on Mon. night and all turnded out well. But from then on, my passprt never went to the bank.

Stuff like that has certainly entered our minds. When our kids travel outside US the passports are here at home. It's a big fear of mine so I'm pretty conscious of that.

Yeah, mine is not at the bank either. I can't imagine why I would want to do that. If anyone ever knew where mine was I'm sure people would think I'm nuts for having it so out in the open. At least I know where mine is although I still check it often.

We always keep them in the safe at home, but take them when traveling even within the US for check in ID.

Copies of same in luggage. Well this reminds me of my mom who put both keys to her safety depost box in the back of a binder with her trust........doesn't know where she put the binder. Hello, why both keys in the same place, same reason her trust and long term care info took us 6 trips to find......in her garbbage.

We have copiers of everything trusts, etc in our safe, oh and yes our daughter has the combination!:D

Yeah, mine is not at the bank either. I can't imagine why I would want to do that. If anyone ever knew where mine was I'm sure people would think I'm nuts for having it so out in the open. At least I know where mine is although I still check it often.

I don't want to take this too far off topic, but how common/easy/difficult to "visit" a ship in port?

Generally speaking, you either have to be invited by the line or a crew memeber/passenger aboard (some frequent cruisers have been known to recieve this perk) or have a specific reason for needing to be onboard, like a travel agent doing a ship inspection in order to better inform their clients.

I've been fortunate to have toured many ships in port here in Vancouver in order to photograph and write about them on my blog. In all cases, I have to plan my vists months in advance in coordination with their PR department. I'm grateful for the access and kindness I've recieved, but believe me, when I'm touring a ship - I'm working.;)

Ours is a small safe built into the wall of our master bedroom closet. A thief would have to take out the entire wall to get it out of the house. :D
We also have a safe built into the wall by the Former Owners, & yes they would have to take out the entire wall to get ours as well..

I put a safe in a hidden spot in my house when we remodeled.

If the wall your safe is in is made of 2x4s and drywall, it would probably take a thief with a crowbar about 60 seconds to get the safe out (and cause you thousands in damage). If it were made of concrete, maybe a minute or two.

Don't be fooled.

I put a safe in a hidden spot in my house when we remodeled.

If the wall your safe is in is made of 2x4s and drywall, it would probably take a thief with a crowbar about 60 seconds to get the safe out (and cause you thousands in damage). If it were made of concrete, maybe a minute or two.

Don't be fooled.

LOL ...I'm certainly not fooled but rather doubt that anyone would want to take out our safe..

We only keep important papers, including our Passports, in it ...When we travel I leave the jewelry which I don't take in it..None of the Jewelry, left home is that expensive & not worth the trouble to take a wall out...;) Now if I had jewels worth millions, would probably rent a safe deposit box for it, & then it would be stolen in a bank heist...

We mainly use the safe, because it's fire proof..

Cheers.....:)Betty

I MADE IT....I am currently in Wamatu, Kenya right on the Indian Ocean. Internet access is not good so I will update you with the details when we return. There are lessons to be learned. Thank you to everyone. What a great group we have!!!!!!

I MADE IT....I am currently in Wamatu, Kenya right on the Indian Ocean. Internet access is not good so I will update you with the details when we return. There are lessons to be learned. Thank you to everyone. What a great group we have!!!!!!

Yay!! So happy for you!

I did check out passports, even though I had checked on them a couple weeks ago. And we do have that silly little portable fire safe we keep them in. But we live in a modest home, in a modest subdivion in a small town and anyone who knows me knows the extent of my fancy jewelry comes from Lia Sofia. ;) We do keep important documents in it, but it's also hidden in a place I can't imagine anyone thinking of when they break in and know they're on a time limit. ;)

Regarding the passports in safe deposit boxes, I never thought of it being a problem. The in-laws keep theirs in a safe deposit box and I'm going to mention this to them.

Again, so happy for you, Matondo!!

Archived