Celebrity Secrets they Don't Tell You

KruzPrincess

I'm surprised all you Celebrity veterans don't have any tricks of the trade to tell. I could tell you a bunch of great things to do or try on a Princess cruise (ie. the secret door, the fabulous chicken salad, pecan french toast, the volcano dessert, etc). I actually stole this topic from the Princess board to see if I could get some great tips about Celebrity. I hope someone can think of something. I think I'll pass on the cargo hold, though.

I think the aqua spa cafe is a great kept "secret" they offer very light and healthier option lunches and is located near the spa area of the ship. It is DH's favorite place by far!

If you have a CC room or a suite, you maybe able to exchange your bottle of in-room champagne for a credit to a bottle of wine (the brand of champange must be a brand served in the MDR)

I didn't know this on my first cruise, but most past cruisers know this anyway - on embarkation day board early to take advantage of the lunch! (I actually boarded when the paper work told me to :eek: and missed lunch!)

Order any DVD's you might want to have on the cruise on the first day onboard, by the 3rd day all the DVD's you want will be gone.

I'm sure lots of people on this board have lots of great secrets, have a great cruise!!

The waffles are really fantastic!

Be sure you don't miss brunch in the MDR (only done once per 7 day cruise).

There are some lovely lounge chairs on one of the very top decks of the ship. It's a great quiet place to read away from the noise of the pool, but still be outside. It gets a bit windy on sea days.

Don't miss Bistro on 5... it's SOOOOO good!

There is usually a Galley Tour offered that is really fun. You need to watch your Celebrity Today for the info. Ours was on the first sea day. You have to call to be assigned a time slot. Very cool and included some yummy treats!

"Order any DVD's you might want to have on the cruise on the first day onboard, by the 3rd day all the DVD's you want will be gone."

yayvacation, where/ how do you get the DVDs?

Thanks!

This is assuming that there is a DVD player in your cabin. Not all cabins or ships have these. If your cabin does, your butler or stateroom attendant will know the procedure for acquiring DVDs.

I'm surprised all you Celebrity veterans don't have any tricks of the trade to tell. I could tell you a bunch of great things to do or try on a Princess cruise (ie. the secret door, the fabulous chicken salad, pecan french toast, the volcano dessert, etc). I actually stole this topic from the Princess board to see if I could get some great tips about Celebrity. I hope someone can think of something. I think I'll pass on the cargo hold, though.

You're right on that one, KruzPrincess. I can think of many secrets for Princess, but I really had to rack my brain to think of things for Celebrity. There aren't as many secrets on Celebrity, and some of the secrets in the old thread are now well-known (i.e. the always available options, like nightly escargot, are printed right on the menu nowadays).

One thing I can think of is the pastries and almond croissants in the Cova Cafe (or Cafe al Bacio on S-class) are excellent and complimentary. They also have small desserts in the afternoon.

Another poster mentioned the AquaSpa Cafe, which is a nice hidden gem in the Solarium area. They offer a light breakfast (fruit, granola, yogurt, things like that) and healthy lunches, like salmon and chicken. The marinated fruit is excellent.

They offer tea in the buffet area every day. It's not as traditional as what you're used to on Princess with scones and such, but they have some nice little sandwiches and cakes.

Hope some of those help!

You're right on that one, KruzPrincess. I can think of many secrets for Princess, but I really had to rack my brain to think of things for Celebrity. There aren't as many secrets on Celebrity, and some of the secrets in the old thread are now well-known (i.e. the always available options, like nightly escargot, are printed right on the menu nowadays).

One thing I can think of is the pastries and almond croissants in the Cova Cafe (or Cafe al Bacio on S-class) are excellent and complimentary. They also have small desserts in the afternoon.

Another poster mentioned the AquaSpa Cafe, which is a nice hidden gem in the Solarium area. They offer a light breakfast (fruit, granola, yogurt, things like that) and healthy lunches, like salmon and chicken. The marinated fruit is excellent.

They offer tea in the buffet area every day. It's not as traditional as what you're used to on Princess with scones and such, but they have some nice little sandwiches and cakes.

Hope some of those help!

Regarding scones, I've been on the Connie and the Millie so far this year and they both had scones at tea time. Yummy.

Any of the tours (backstage at the theater, bridge, galley) that are on offer are very interesting.

I recall someone mentioned "happy hour" 2 for 1 drink specials, but don't recall seeing this on either Century or Equinox. (I'm not referring to the drink of the day special). Anyone know more about this?

Hi Sandi,:) maybe I don't notice this kind of thing because I always sail

solo but I never seen 2 4 1 drinks on any of my cruises.

As for secrets? There is a thread on here somewhere that was started

a long time ago but I think someone brought it back up front recently

with tons and tons of pages on it.

You're right Lois! Here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=60920

The biggest Celebrity secret is that it's CC forum has a Search Function and it can be helpful before starting a new thread. The Advance Search function is even better and here are the tips/FAQs about how to use it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_search

I would agree with this statement. :)

Be sure to get the waffles fresh out of the waffle iron and crispy! They are the best! Don't be embarrassed to ask for fresh ones if they have some sitting in a pan that look like they may have been there for a bit. Look for the fresh fruit and whipped cream!

The eggs benedict station (has so much more then eggs benedict but don't know what to call it) is great! Didn't know there could be so many ways to fix eggs in a special way!

Craving something special??? Just tell your waiter in the MDR the night before and if it is possible it will magically appear. Sometimes you might want to let the waiter know it's a one time thing or you may end up with it every night. They try hard to please.

There's sushi and tea sandwiches and other snacks (on separate sides in the buffet) in the afternoon around 4 or 5. The ice cream with the little goodies is free. The gelato is not. The pastries, goodies in the cova cafe are free.

Room service is free except for alcoholic beverages, soda and special items (caviar). Usually a tip of a dollar or two is appreciated!

If you ask your room steward early in the day he'll get the MDR menus for that day for you and you can order your dinner to be served in your cabin.

If you are on an S class ship the Bistro on 5 is a great place for lunch the first day. It's well worth the $10. cost for 2. The buffet gets crowded and people tend to just sit there even after they have finished because rooms are not ready until 1 or 1:30. The Bistro on 5 is relaxing and really good.

As someone new to CC I would not have known about the search function. Feel free to ask any questions you choose. To help there is a search function at the top of the page that if you click on you enter your subject and the recent threads or posts on the subject will appear. It took me at least a year to discover that!

There is an available anytime menu on the left side of the MDR menu with lots of goodies available each night.

Sometimes you can get on the ship at 11 am. At that time the lines are short and it's fun to explore the ship without a lot of people milling about. That first glass of champagne they offer you as you board the ship is free!

Not the one by the pool but just as you board!

I hope I've helped and that you have a wonderful first X cruise!

Anything you want to print and save can be done easily by clicking on the post # (#15 on here) and then when it takes you to single post, just print. I've got quite a book of info from doing this.

[The biggest Celebrity secret is that it's CC forum has a Search Function and it can be helpful before starting a new thread. The Advance Search function is even better and here are the tips/FAQs about how to use it:

Here is a helpful video.

Posting and you

from

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Are there any secrets, freebies or special things not to be missed on Celebrity cruises?

I'll be on my first Celebrity cruise in November.

Thanks.

Here's a secret: You can actually wear smart casual to the MDR on formal night and STILL get served! Just don't say it too loud ;)

"Order any DVD's you might want to have on the cruise on the first day onboard, by the 3rd day all the DVD's you want will be gone."

yayvacation, where/ how do you get the DVDs?

Thanks!

There will be a list of available DVD's in your cabin when you arrive, call down to guest services and they bring them right up to you!

...If you have a CC room or a suite, you maybe able to exchange your bottle of in-room champagne for a credit to a bottle of wine (the brand of champange must be a brand served in the MDR) ...

This may have been true at one time. On our recent Summit cruise on 9/5, guest relations, the wine steward and the chief wine steward indicated that the Concierge Class sparkling wine may not be exchanged toward credit for any other bottle of wine. The given "explanation" is that the CC wine is not on the ship's wine list. However, the wine steward graciously served it to us in the MDR with no corkage charge.

I am guessing that wine sent as gifts is exchangeable. I don't have first hand knowledge and would appreciate feedback.

There will be a list of available DVD's in your cabin when you arrive, call down to guest services and they bring them right up to you!

Do all rooms on all ships have DVD players? Does the Equinox?

What is the charge for each DVD?

Thanks!

You're right Lois! Here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=60920

The biggest Celebrity secret is that it's CC forum has a Search Function and it can be helpful before starting a new thread. The Advance Search function is even better and here are the tips/FAQs about how to use it:

Thanks for finding the link!!

Archived