Meet and Greet "Bring a $5 Gift".....

sail7seas

I have read about this gift idea on several Roll Calls -- just not for me -- JMO.

I have enough to pack without having to worry about a gift exchange.

I don't join any Roll Calls any more -- will not give out me e-mail address -- which all seem to require anymore. And now a gift exchange.

Nope -- just not for me.

The one I took part in took the form of a Yankee Swap and it was hysterical. I took some New Brunswick Maple sugar candies.

It's not something I would suggest but I would take part again.

That must have been the one I was at....and those Maple sugar candies were good:D. Never had them before. It was a fun time.

The one I took part in took the form of a Yankee Swap and it was hysterical. I took some New Brunswick Maple sugar candies.

It's not something I would suggest but I would take part again.

I was at one gift exchange done mid cruise when the organizer arranged a luncheon for us...Like you, I enjoyed it, as it was fun to see what people received..I took a set of Coasters with a Florida beach scene on them...

On the Meet & Greet's I've arranged, I chose not to do have a gift exchange, as many posters had to fly...Since some companies have lowered the allowable weight of luggage, did not want to add an extra item to their bags...

I think it's a stupid idea drempt up by women with too much time on their hands!

Humph!:p

OF course it was an idea dreamt up by women..How else would we keep the parties interesting & fun..:D

All you men would be content sitting around, drinking beer & talking about Football, Cars or Women...;);)

LOL.....:)

Cheers......:)Betty

All you men would be content sitting around, drinking beer & talking about Football, Cars or Women...;);)

LOL.....:)

Cheers......:)Betty

Yes! As a 'solo' male cruiser (who packs three hours before I leave), I won't be shopping for any presents to take to the 'meet & greet' (I will buy someone a beer if they want). ;)

I've been reading a few Roll Calls and on one they are asking CC'ers who will attend the M & G to bring a $5 gift to exchange. They really weren't clear about what sort of thing they are doing.

I've never heard this before and wonder what they mean. Bring a key chain that has your hometown written on it? :confused: Why would anyone want an item from someone else's home town .... a place they may have never even heard of.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Nice idea. And, key chains are the most useful of all gifts. They take up little room in the luggage and are something we can always use.

When trying to get rid of small amounts of money overseas we always look for key chains in the airports.

I think it's a stupid idea drempt up by women with too much time on their hands!

Oh, come on -- it's more like the Spanish Conquistadors bringing shiny trinkets and beads to serve as ice-breakers with the Mayans, Aztecs and Incas.

However, since most of us on CC have mastery of English (well, most of us have at least a fair command of our common language) wouldn't the time be better spent meeting and greeting than trading and bartering?

I have heard of it, but have not been to a M&G where it was done. I think it is a fun idea, and people could play along if they want.

I think there could be some really fun items...

If I were to take a souvenir from my "stomping grounds" it would likely be a jar of jam from Knott's Berry Farm, significant because I live in OC.

quote]

Nice gift, but someone flying home who was not checking luggage could not take the gift of jam.

I know of several Meet & Greets where small gifts were exchanged.

I have no problem if the majority of the people in a roll call for my sailing want to do so.

I know a few years back, I had a friend who works at Graceland. Since alot people know that Elvis lived in Memphis, I got her to purchase two books about Elvis and his fave recipes for me.

I gave them as gifts to the person that travel the farthest. It was something that I wanted to do and didn't look or expect nothing in return. The couple was quite surprise and happy.

You're not missing a thing, imho. "Why" is my question, too? Why is an ice breaker needed to begin with? We just never find it hard to start a conversation with other pax on our cruise. To each his own, but it would keep us from even considering going to the meet and greet.

I have been to some where everyone didn't bring something. I would never stay away just because I didn't bring something to share. You just don't take part in the gift exchange. Still get to meet everyone face to face.

I've been to several M&Gs that had gift exchanges and it was a lot of fun. As many have said, it's optional, nobody twists your arm. It's fun to get a souvenier from someone who you have grown to like over the course of months on a roll call. The last cruise I got a wonderful book and CD from Holland. :)

It doesn't take that much time, really, and if you just hate the idea don't participate or if you do and hate what you get, throw it away, nobody will care.

Some of our Roll Calls have had a gift exchange. Totally optional and under $10.00 in value. A Canadian brought a small bottle of maple syrup. A Virginian brought jumbo peanuts(they were much better than the good nuts) a Floridian brought Key Lime Chocolates etc. It is totally optional. Didn't bring a gift you didn't get one.

For anyone that has hosted a Roll Call and Meet & Greet, it takes a lot of time, effort and sometimes cost to have a successful one. If the majority of the members want to do something. Why not?

The only one's that usually have a complaint are the individual's who never posted or contributed to the Roll Call and are peeved that you couldn't convince the Beverage Manager in coughing up some Mimosas.

But if I took the chocolate soup (yummy - from the Hotel Hershey) - I would not want to give that away!!

Many years ago,there was a Hotel Hershey in Corpus Christi, Texas. It was part of the Hershey "family". They had a chocolate brunch on Sunday. I remember the chocolate soup well.....YUM!

B

I was too nice to say that.

Nice idea. And, key chains are the most useful of all gifts. They take up little room in the luggage and are something we can always use.

When trying to get rid of small amounts of money overseas we always look for key chains in the airports.

Is this a joke? How many key chains can you use? I use an unadorned one with all my keys on it, houses, cars, office, safe deposit box, and suitcases. What would I do with another? Do you put one key on each chain or something?

Hint: If you only have one key on a chain, you don't need the chain at all.

Well, you could give them a copy of this video :D

OMG, that is hilarious. The 405 Freeway.

If you listen to the newscasters, they pronounce it, "four oh five freeway", and everyone knows that really means, "it will take you four oh five hours" to get wherever you are going.

Archived