What's the best way to see ships at Ft. Lauderdale?

timothy998

We took our first cruise last year and are going again in March 2011 out of Fort Lauderdale. We learned that the Oasis will be in port the day we arrive (day before we embark) and figured it would be fun to "see" but we aren't certain of the best vantage point to do so. Any ideas, please? We land about 1230pm on the 26th in Miami, then drive up to Ft Lauderdale. We're staying at the Courtyard by Marriott on the beach not far from the port. Thanks for your ideas!

There are a couple of possibilities for viewing the ships entering/leaving Port Everglades for you to consider:

The 17th Street Bridge.

The John U. Lloyd Beach State Park (just south of the channel)

Fort Lauderdale Beach (just North of the channel), I do not know about access to the North so the state beach to the south looks like the best bet. The channel is a choke point through which all of the ships must pass.

If you download Google Earth you can look at the area from a satellite view as well as see pictures that other people have posted on the view itself.

View standing on 17th Street bridge is the best you can get. Bring binoculars if you really want close ups.

Then walk right over to Hyatt Pier 66 (located at foot of the bridge) and have a nice lunch on their pool veranda. Beautiful. :)

It has been years since any of our flights landed from the ocean side giving such a great view of the ships in port.

Last time I flew into FLL we came in from the water side...

...I'm sure it just depends on the prevailing winds that day.

Last time I flew into FLL we came in from the water side...

...I'm sure it just depends on the prevailing winds that day.

The past two winters, we've been lucky enough to fly in over the water, too. Before that, not so.

Last winter, we did the 20 day Collector's Cruise on the Noordam, and on the turn-around day mid-cruise, I sat on our balcony and counted a plane a minute flying over the ship to land at FFL...very closely over the ship, obviously!

We spent a couple days on either side of the cruise in Fort Lauderdale and both times, tried to drive close enough over by the inlet (Inlet Drive, I think?) and the condos, trying to find access to see the ships sail out...to no avail. I may check the internet to see if there's a way into the park on the other side of the channel by car.

We always arrive the day before our cruise and try to stay in a hotel close to the port and look at the ships from the hotel. As mentioned above, we will walk over to the 17th St bridge for sail aways and watch them depart and then walk to pne of our favorite local restaurants for dinner.

That Oasis of the Seas is too big for me! Give me a HAL ship, any day of the week.

No kidding. We stayed in FLL an extra day because we wanted to see what this behemoth looked like. It is BIG!

Cheers, Denise

Take one of the harbor tours on the Carrie B. Well worthwhile and it goes right out by the ships. www.carriebcruises.com

That's a very fun tour of the intercoastal. We've done it two or three times, and always enjoy it. The last time was mid-cruise on the Noordam in '09...we sailed up close to the Noordam...saw it from a different perspective!

We love the Hyatt Pier 66 tower rooms for viewing the ships. I always get up before daylight to watch the ships come in. Of course, that makes for a long morning waiting for our turn to board!

What hotel are you staying at? I totally agree that Pier 66 has by far one of the best views, I just stayed there a few weeks ago and captured great pictures from our balcony which I will attach but in previous times when we stayed at the Embassy Suites or even if we have stayed at the Hyatt Place across the street I will go to the top floor of the Embassy Suites. There is an area that is sort of a fire escape area with a area to walk outside that faces Port Everglades and I have taken some great pictures from there as well with out have to go far or going up North 17th and going over to the bridge.

Sorry the picture is the Solstice and not a HAL ship :o

I also agree Mortgage Mobile's web cam is great!!!

100_0836.jpg.484b6d7ced1c2746c810d97bc07d3481.jpg

We always have a front facing room in Hyatt Pier 66 and it faces directly to Port Everglades right across the street. The views of the ships sailing in and out are incredible. Used to be wonderful when we were permitted to go to Rooftop of the Hyatt Tower. That is now closed to guests except for private events but gorgeous views!!!

Archived