Really honest opinions wanted

owt205

Hi

We are 3 couples looking to book our next cruise in early spring 2012..we are looking at 2 possibilities for now....a 14 day Caribbean Collection (eastern Caribbean) on the Grand, or 20 day (b2b) southern/eastern on the Emerald.

We have only been Princess converts for a few months, having done a 19 day repo on the Coral. We all LOVED it, but are leary of trying a different ship. We liked the space on the Coral, (as well as everything else), and when deciding on that ship, it was a no brainer, as there was really no negative comments!

Now I have read a lot on both of the above mentioned ships, and we would really appreciate ALL input, good or bad so we can make a good decision. We would like to book soon, as we all want late traditional dining, we would hate to be waitlisted for that.

We are fans of Princess food, beds (yes, beds), cabins, staff, etc., what we really are concerned about is the crowded feeling a lot of folks mention....not fans of that!

Thanks in advance to all who post here, your comments are always insightful, and interesting.

If you liked one ship, you'll be happy with them all. It's the company, not the ship, that makes the "rules" that cater to the passengers.

Book ASAP to get your choice of dining.

Don't worry about "crowding"...the ship's are designed to carry a full load.

We were on the Coral in 2008 when we did the Alaska cruise. Loved that ship!

Last year, 2009, we were on the Emerald for our Baltic cruise.

Loved that ship, too! We never felt crowded.

I love the spacious atrium, International Cafe, Vines, etc. on the Emerald.

We are 3 couples that travel together, too. We ask our steward to open up the doors between our balconies.

I have not been on the Grand, yet.

Enjoy whichever Princess ship you choose!

I think each ship has its own personality....they each have their strong points and maybe some weaker points, but I have loved them all.

I like to keep an open mind, and I try to remember that my taste and opinion is unique, just as it is for you.... So, it is really hard for me to tell another that they will/or won't like a particular trip or cruise line.

We did not find crowds on the Ruby (sister to the Emerald) except for 1 ocassion in the buffet. We waited 1/2 an hour, went back, and it was cleared out. Other than that, no crowds anywhere.

I think it depends on what you do. If you "follow the crowd" from dining to the show to the atrium to the sale tables, then maybe you'll find crowds. We thought it was reasonable to wait for some things onboard, but we are not patient people. We make it a habit to get to the shows 30 mins. early and always found the perfect seats for us. On the Caribbean itineraries, we found most people preferred to be outside doing other activities.

We WERE very devoted small ship fans on Princess. We had done the Sun and the Dawn twice each and the Coral once. Then the Sun and the Dawn were going "down under" and we had done the Panama Canal several times and did not want to do that again. So we thought we had a problem. We had been on bigger ships in the past on other lines, and were not fans. We loved the small ships, with less people on Princess, but there were no more choices for us in terms of itinerary. So we bit the bullet and decided to book the Emerald. We absolutely LOVE her. We sailed her twice, and will be sailing her again in January, and have sailed her sister ship the Ruby. We never feel crowded or feel like there are as many people on board as there are. The Emerald also has as mentioned the International Café(with the coffee bar), and Vines, the frankly I do not know if I would want to sail without anymore. They do not have this originally on the Grand, it may have it now, but from what I understand, the ones that were put in at dry dock are just not the same.

So I guess what I am saying, as a small ship convert, is go with the Emerald. You will not regret it. It is a beautiful ship, with plenty of room, but you still have the feelings of intimacy that you have with the smaller ships, just a little more walking, which is not a bad thing, lol.

Just my two cents! ;)

We have done both the Grand and the Emerald and find that there is no problem with too many people. With the size of the ships of the Grand class there is more than enough room for the people on board without feeling the least crowded. The only times it felt a bit crowded was on sea days when everyone is at the pools. Never had a problem getting a place to sith though. I personally am partial to the smaller Sun class ships though. Both cruises you mentioned sound great so go on whichever you choose and have a great time.

There is a world of difference between the Coral and the overcrowded class of ships that includes the Emerald. Check out space per passenger, the ratio is bad on the Emerald sisters, they added 500 extra passengers but the common space is the same. Instead of 2600 passengers like the Grand class, there will be 3100 plus. You cannot hide 500 extra people.

Grand Princess is older but holds the crowd well. The Coral Princess is premium level for space and design, considered to be top of the fleet by many people.

Having sailed on the Grand, I can tell you that it was just as crowded as the Crown (Emerald's twin sister) was in the buffet at peak times and around the pools on sea days and in the atrium in the evening. And long waits for Anytime at peak hours. I realize, as repeated on here ad infinitum, there are 500 extra passengers and the space ratio is lower, yadda yadda, but in point of fact, the Emerald has a much larger Crooner's, a larger Wheelhouse Bar, a larger atrium area, the IC/Vines is a bigger area than the Grand's Lobby Bar, a whole extra venue in the Adagio Bar . . . I defer to no one in my love for smaller ships but I think the Emerald and her ilk are great choices for a warm-weather cruise and have no hesitation about booking them because of the extra amenities they do have.

Even the Coral had her crowded moments . . .

On all the ships the only time I saw crowds was right after a show let out and right after dinner and it's only in one or two areas of the ship mostly near the photo gallery. The buffet can get very busy at meal times on sea days and also in the morning on port days. We try to eat in the dining room as much as possible because they don't get that crowded. I like to be served and not have my food get cold while I try to find a table. The Crown Princess is similar to the Emerald and it wasn't very crowded at all except for the times mentioned above in the buffet. I would look at the itinerary and see which one most appeals to you and then I would do that on whichever ship. At the time you are going is before spring break and there aren't many kids on board especially a 14-day cruise at that time of year. Ship should not be crowded.

Also, I think that the Grand goes in dry dock this spring. Are you going before or after this. We have been on the Grand and did not have any problems with crowding. Have a nice cruise no matter which ship you choose.

Theo

We did the Caribbean collection in January and were very happy with the Grand and the itinerary. Perhaps the only port we didn't enjoy was Trinidad but that may have been dropped for 2011, it certainly appears to have been for 2012.

I just got off the Crown yesterday and frankly I did feel crowded many times. Our trip was to Canada and New England and Mother Nature threw rain and fog at us most of the trip with a few hints of sun with not much warmth. When everybody MUST be inside you notice the extra 500 people. We supposedly were slightly past max (based on 2 per cabin) and we had 2 entertainment crews that were changing out so that was even more people. Anytime dining was eat at 5:15 or 8:15. Never ever was able to get a reservation but learned after one hour 15 min. wait to get there before 5:30 or eat in the HC. Never felt too crowded in the HC and I thought the buffets the best of any ship I have been on (19). Theater was always standing room only for early show. Seating barely 800 and with only 2 shows about 1/2 the passengers would not fit in the theater each night. MUTS was playing but nobody but the popcorn girl was sitting in the rain to watch the movie so that added to crowds. There were almost NO passengers up and about at midnight -- totally early crowd (yeah I did fit in:o when there was no one to play with). Also consider that the Grand Plus ships do not have a covered pool or retractable roof -- something I really missed as I burn in the summer and froze this time. Tendering ports are just a mess with 3,500 + folks going and coming at the same times. Congestion/time consuming and nothing you can do about it as they load one boat at a time!

If you are in Carib. some of these might be a no bother factor but they are factors and see if they are important to you. I think that I may not soon go on a 3,000 person ship but you never ever know what deal or iteniary will lure me back and snatch my FCC.

I just got off the Crown yesterday and frankly I did feel crowded many times. Our trip was to Canada and New England and Mother Nature threw rain and fog at us most of the trip with a few hints of sun with not much warmth. When everybody MUST be inside you notice the extra 500 people. We supposedly were slightly past max (based on 2 per cabin) and we had 2 entertainment crews that were changing out so that was even more people. Anytime dining was eat at 5:15 or 8:15. Never ever was able to get a reservation but learned after one hour 15 min. wait to get there before 5:30 or eat in the HC. Never felt too crowded in the HC and I thought the buffets the best of any ship I have been on (19). Theater was always standing room only for early show. Seating barely 800 and with only 2 shows about 1/2 the passengers would not fit in the theater each night. MUTS was playing but nobody but the popcorn girl was sitting in the rain to watch the movie so that added to crowds. There were almost NO passengers up and about at midnight -- totally early crowd (yeah I did fit in:o when there was no one to play with). Also consider that the Grand Plus ships do not have a covered pool or retractable roof -- something I really missed as I burn in the summer and froze this time. Tendering ports are just a mess with 3,500 + folks going and coming at the same times. Congestion/time consuming and nothing you can do about it as they load one boat at a time!

If you are in Carib. some of these might be a no bother factor but they are factors and see if they are important to you. I think that I may not soon go on a 3,000 person ship but you never ever know what deal or iteniary will lure me back and snatch my FCC.

This was my experience on the Crown also (sister to Emerald). Except we did have problems for breakfast in the Horizon Court (I don't think it was a problem at other times). We had some weather issues the first 2 days but otherwise, our weather was fine.

I feel the same way (as Bowie MeMe) that I probably will not get on a similar ship soon unless all the planets are aligned and it is the best ship for the circumstances. Based on this - I would suggest the Grand.

IMO - it is very difficult to top the Coral/Island Princess. I think the Pacific/Royal/Ocean Princess would top it but don't have first hand experience.

Yes my last cruise before the Crown was the Coral. I have been on 3 of the old R-ships (Nautica {Oceania}, Tahitian, and ?) and at 675 passengers they are probably my favorite. I have been on cruises using ships that slept 35 to 3,500. 1000 to 2000 passenger ships gives you the amenities you'd like without so many friends to share with. Loading 35 into a rubber dinghies to go flying up the Amazon River only takes about ten minutes (but then I was 10 years younger and thinner then!:o) In spite of the comments always keep in mind that a crowded day on a cruise ship is better than any day on land.

The OP is planning to cruise in the Caribbean in the Spring; the weather will be warmer and chances are that passengers will be able to take advantage of the outdoor spaces. This relieves the "overcrowding" that some have reported as people are able to use their balconies, pool areas and open decks. These ships are designed for warm-weather cruising so when they are in cooler/cold climes, they are not the best ship choice as they can often feel overcrowded with everyong indoors. But that's not the case for the OP.

Personal preferences aside, I'd book the cruise with the "best" itinerary, the one you'd like most to do, at a price you're willing to pay.

We've been on the Island, the CB, the Grand, one of the R-ships when Renaissance owned it, the Carnival Elation when it was brand new, and some from NCL and RCL. Our favorite was the Grand...it was probably a combination of things, and not just the ship itself. But we'd go back on her in a minute. And here's a hint: If there are few teenagers on board, they are probably not using the "for teens only" areas. For those who like quiet and space, that's the spot to go!

The OP is planning to cruise in the Caribbean in the Spring; the weather will be warmer and chances are that passengers will be able to take advantage of the outdoor spaces. This relieves the "overcrowding" that some have reported as people are able to use their balconies, pool areas and open decks. These ships are designed for warm-weather cruising so when they are in cooler/cold climes, they are not the best ship choice as they can often feel overcrowded with everyong indoors. But that's not the case for the OP.

Personal preferences aside, I'd book the cruise with the "best" itinerary, the one you'd like most to do, at a price you're willing to pay.

I agree with Pam. Book the itinerary you like at a good price. I've never felt crowded on any Princess ships. Yes, the buffet can get crowded at peak times for breakfast and lunch but if you go to the MDR, you'll miss these crowds and get great service. Early shows tend to more crowded than later shows. If your going off at a port, hold back an hour and you'll be able to walk right off.

If you want a more adult experience, I'd avoid booking during peak spring break weeks as there will be many kids. For me, a lot of kids makes a ship seem more crowded. Have a great cruise!!:)

Thank you all for your input...to clarify, we will be going mid-late feb, no later..the intineraries are very close, with the Grand being

FLL

Curacao

Barbados

St. Vincent

St Lucia

St Kitts

St Thomas

Princess Cay

FLL

The b2b on the Emerald (20 days) has , in addition, Dominica, Grenada,

Aruba,Antigua.

prices work out to much the same if you figure out the pp/day price, so that is not really an issue.

As I said, we are late eaters, and traditional dining is a must, we also usually do the late shows. We rarely eat in the horizon Court, although on the 2 occasions we did, it was fine for breakfast on the Coral, no crowds at the times we went. The dining room is our choice for most meals, except for some lunches on deck (pizza, burgers)

Again, thanks everyone for your suggestions, keep them coming.

We did this b2b on the Emerald last year. Great Carib cruise. Lots of nice sail/snorkeling spots and the islands are really pretty. Will definitely do this again. Like others said, buffet and pool area can get a little crowded, but the hot weather and the beautiful scenery makes up for it. We love the big ships with the various lounges and entertainment. Will try our first small ship next month on the Royal so we can compare. Hope you have a wonderful time!

My 2 cents:

You will experience crowding at certain times on any ship. That's just a fact of life. We have had just as much trouble finding a table on the Coral as we have on any of the Grand and post-Grand class ships. It's not quite as bad on sea days but can be a definite challenge on port days if your timing is the same as everyone else. The time of year that you go, the passenger mix, and age ranges all play a role in how the same ship "feels". We've done B2B's on the same ship and sometimes the difference from one week to the next is like night and day.

No ship is perfect but IMO the Coral Princess is about as close to optimal as anything in the Princess fleet. I love the layout and in particular the fact that public areas are spread out vertically on a couple of decks. It makes the sense of being on a ship with a couple thousand other people a bit less noticeable.

That being said, we don't necessarily cruise for the ship, we cruise for itinerary. Most of our cruises have been on the Grand Princess and her later sisters. We have obviously enjoyed those cruises and never hesitate to book any of them. Maybe we've just learned to live with some of their idiosyncracies. My perception is that the cabins are slightly larger on the Grand class ships compared to Coral and Island, and even if it's just a tiny change it makes the living space just a bit more useable.

When I first joined CC it was just prior to our first cruise on Grand Princess, and I had the same concerns about the ship based on the comments of the learned posters on this site. It turned out that we had a a very enjoyable cruise. Maybe that's why we've been on Grand Princess 8 times now.

Choose the itinerary, plan to enjoy yourself, and accept that what others say is just their personal opinion based on their individual sensitivities.

I have been on the following Princess ships

Caribbean Princess twice

Regal Princess-gone to Australia

Star Princess

Grand Princess

Crown Princess

Ocean princess

All except Ocean are more or less the same size. Emerald is a newer ship .Grand has GREAT FOOD WE loved our cruise You will see more wear and tear on Grand

Choose the itinerary do not worry about crowding

.In Southern people get OFF the ship so crowding is minimal

Just go have fun

I'm going back on Caribbean Princess for a BTB so how bad could it be ...NOT AT ALL

Bon Voyage

By the way little ships like Ocean are OK because they g where big ships cannot but I do prefer bigger ships

I prefer trying something different everytime if possible, but having been on both ships in the Caribbean, if I had to choose between them, I would go back to the Emerald and all the extras it had compared to the Grand. Both beautiful ships. :)

Archived