Diamond member activities to be curtailed

JIMDSB2

I am sorry but I really do not agree with you, the "perks" as you put it are not perks, they are part of the long term contract that I have with the cruise line, where they say "cruise with us alot, and we will give you these benefits", and therefore at this time I am entitled to the benefits.

Chip,

I normally agree with everything that you usually say, but I am not sure I would use the wording of "Long Term Contract" in this case. I agree that they have dangled the carrot in front of us so it would temp us to keep coming back and booking with them telling us what we would receive in exchange for sailing more with them. Maybe better wording would be "Bait and Switch" :D:p Currently, I am very happy with what I am receiving as benefits, perks or whatever it's called and I know they have a right to change it at anytime, passengers also have the right to sail on other cruiselines as well.

I would like to know which ships are/were offering a luncheon to their P/D/D+ pax? We have been on lots of cruises and have yet to be invited to a luncheon as you have described above. Though we do cruises longer than 7 days...........last April we did a 7 day consecutive cruise on Serenade and there was no luncheon held.

The only luncheon that we get invited to is the one that is held for consecutive cruisers.

Same here, we never had any other type of luncheon.

Oh Well ..What do you suggest??? A new ship Diamond of the Seas??? Perhaps that could hold all the hardworking diamond members...LOL

I have worked so hard cruising, I am completely exhausted and need a vacation!:p:D

My reference to "long term contract" is with regard to the fact that I have been cruising for 15 years, and throughout that time Royal have continued to state that if I remain loyal, and build up my credits with them, they in turn will repay that loyalty with certain benefits. 15 years in my opinion a long term arrangement.

In my previous posts on this subject I have clearly stated that I know they can change the C&A program , and I have also stated that if they do I will consider my options as to where I spend my cruise dollars. As i do now, but the benefits claerly influence my decisions. :)

Long term contract? :confused:

I do agree that a posted benefit should be given, but I would never consider any loyalty program to be a contract of any kind.

We aren't Diamond yet (platinum after this trip-with 7 credits), but we do not cruise to get status, we cruise because we love it.

As for the "long term contract", what? are you kidding? The only contract you have is for the cruises you have paid for and agreed to. Nowhere anywhere that I know of does it guarantee anything outside of that cruise. I think if you read carefully, it probably says somewhere that RCI has the right to change anything it wants to with notice (or without for most).

WOW

Still can not get over the word 'expect' used when it is a thank-you gesture.

I also wonder when the diamonds were told the CL access was no longer-stockholders-did the company take a huge hit when that happened? Are bookings down because of this? Is the company in trouble due to this loyalty change??:confused:

I am really glad more folks are speaking up on other loyalty options like a larger amount off on a return visit. Possible drink coupons in your coupon book are another option so those of us like FloGaleRNTX , which I could not agree with more-could have a nice quiet thank-you drink on the privacy of our balcony. As some of you will not admit to-the atmosphere[at least in the CL and have read horror stories on the DL] is not always that of one big happy group. At times it is very nice and at other times, you would like to blast the heck out of there!! Please let me take my vodka7 with me!!!:p

Yes and I think if you read carefully, I acknowledged that it in my initial post, that you are now criticising. :p:D

................. I think if you read carefully, it probably says somewhere that RCI has the right to change anything it wants to with notice (or without for most).

Thanks Patti, but I did address RCi can change benefits without notice..its in the word descretionary. :) Again I do believe RCI has contracted with is C&A members. They say cruise often and we'll reward you with certain and advertized perks. RCI does make it clear they can change benefits at any time. However they do that at their own peril as vaction spending is descretionary and the traveler is fickle. I for one love RCI's product but wouldnt hesitate to try another cruise line if RCI stopped it's loyalty benefits. As long as I am rewarded for loyalty I will continue spending my descretionary vacation dollar with RCI. I know full well that either party can stop at any time. But in the mean time I expect RCI to deliver what is says it will.

I guess that's where we are different We cruise to cruise to meet people and see new places. We really don't pay much attention to the "perks" so to speak. If we get something fine........if not......oh well. I would like to see them discount the fares like they used to.

Have yet to be on a ship where this so called luncheon is being held for P/D/D+ guest. They used to have a P/D/D+ brunch but that was stopped in2008 due to health reasons.

How nice of you to say you would accept OBC, I'll bet they couldn't thank you enough. I will never understand how some people feel so entitled. This is a GIFT, the cruise lines can arrange it any way they choose. It is the complainers that will ruin it for everyone when they decide it just isn't worth the aggravaton.

My sentiments exactly, well said!

As a frequent flyer on American Airlines, one of the benefits I receive is that I am not charged for checked baggage. I don't really consider this a gift. They have a documented loyalty program and I met the criteria. I continue to fly AA because of the benefits I have earned though loyalty to them. If those benefits disappear or are reduced, I will look more closely at other airlines.

When a company publishes a loyalty program, I do feel that they have an obligation (legally? I'm not sure) to extend the listed benefits when earned. I would think that if changes are made, it would be appropriate to notify participants in advance.

To me the Crown & Anchor program is no different.

Now, would somebody please tell what ships are giving a luncheon to P/D/D+ C&A members so that I can look into booking a cruise.:cool:

Patti...good luck getting a correct answer to that question !!!:D;)

The only luncheon I can recall experiencing anything close to that was last years Diamonds in December event where they had a luncheon with a special menu and cocktails for all Diamond/Diamond+ members. This was on Independence. Other D/D+ cruisers last December must have had the same thing on other ships as well.

As a frequent flyer on American Airlines, one of the benefits I receive is that I am not charged for checked baggage. I don't really consider this a gift. They have a documented loyalty program and I met the criteria. I continue to fly AA because of the benefits I have earned though loyalty to them. If those benefits disappear or are reduced, I will look more closely at other airlines.

When a company publishes a loyalty program, I do feel that they have an obligation (legally? I'm not sure) to extend the listed benefits when earned. I would think that if changes are made, it would be appropriate to notify participants in advance.

To me the Crown & Anchor program is no different.

Well said and I totally agree!! :)

The only luncheon I can recall experiencing anything close to that was last years Diamonds in December event where they had a luncheon with a special menu and cocktails for all Diamond/Diamond+ members. This was on Independence. Other D/D+ cruisers last December must have had the same thing on other ships as well.

Now that could be.

If you remember a few scant years ago when RCL pulled the plug on their benefit program where there was nothing combinable with anything and a list of things I no longer care to remember. It was an eye opening experience for me and after that I never looked at benefits or loyalty programs the same way again.

Those who think they have a contract or it is their god given right that RCL owns them benefits are sadly mistaken. They are RCL benefits to give out and as many have wrote on here before they can change them(which they have done before), pull them, they can altered them(Which they also have done)

What I learned from my last experience when RCL pulled back their loyalty program was (by the way I was really upset when they did that) I forgot the main reason I started to cruise in the first place( before I knew about benefits and loyalty programs) which was I enjoyed the whole cruise experience. Don't get me wrong I love the perks but no longer count of them to enjoy my cruise the perks are just icing on top of the cake.

I can't remember the exact dates, but we have had D/D+ luncheons on several 7-day cruises. The latest one was in Feb. on the Voyager and I also remember having one on the Mariner. Our latest cruise on the Oasis, of course, we did not have one. The luncheons were a special printed menu (on paper) that you could keep. And you got a choice of a fish, chicken or steak plus red or white wine. If you were lucky you got a staff member at your table, but not always. They were very nice.

I can't remember the exact dates, but we have had D/D+ luncheons on several 7-day cruises. The latest one was in Feb. on the Voyager and I also remember having one on the Mariner. Our latest cruise on the Oasis, of course, we did not have one. The luncheons were a special printed menu (on paper) that you could keep. And you got a choice of a fish, chicken or steak plus red or white wine. If you were lucky you got a staff member at your table, but not always. They were very nice.

Another fine example of The Inconsistency Policy.

Looks like some Hotel Directors go above and beyond for their guests.....while others just go by the book.:(

You would stand more chance if you were young, female and cute, and now look you are going to get me flamed for being sexist..... Guilty Your Honor :p:D

I am just trying to brown nose so you'll pack me in your luggage and take me on Allure with you the month of December!:D

What I learned from my last experience when RCL pulled back their loyalty program was (by the way I was really upset when they did that) I forgot the main reason I started to cruise in the first place( before I knew about benefits and loyalty programs) which was I enjoyed the whole cruise experience. Don't get me wrong I love the perks but no longer count of them to enjoy my cruise the perks are just icing on top of the cake.

Excellent point, and I agree 100%. None of us are happy when benefits are taken away, but some folks tend to forget that at one point, they only had 1 cruise, 2 cruises, 3 cruises, etc. At that level, it certainly isn't perks that keep you coming back. It's the experience of a cruise vacation on a cruise line and on cruise ships we have found to be great.

That said, it's human nature to like to be awarded and recognized for repeat patronage. What the perks are doesn't really matter to me, but it does feel good to be recognized as a repeat patron.

Oh, and I do not ever remember a luncheon.

Platinum, Diamond and Diamond+ Event.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do;jsessionid=0000fJ_MDHOUCm8aXZpvlsSdoYS:12hdhu93n?cS=NAVBAR

This has always been the luncheon on every other 7+ day cruise I was on after attaining Platinum

For the Special Plat/Dia/Dia+ event, we’ve had everything from a cocktail reception, a plated breakfast, a buffet breakfast, brunch in Portofino’s or a plated lunch in the dining room.

More recently it has been a cocktail reception or a plated breakfast.

We sailed the Radiance last week for the only 7 night sailing from Tampa and I think over half the ship was a repeat passenger with MANY being Plat/Dia/Dia+.

The Special Plat/ Dia/ Dia+ event was a cocktail reception. Can’t comment on it as we did not attend.

M

Yes and I think if you read carefully, I acknowledged that it in my initial post, that you are now criticising. :p:D

How is that a criticism? I just made a statement quoting your post prior to that one. That's all.

The numbers of cruisers with past cruises is climbing rapidly. DH and I could have 3 times the cruise credits we have if we stayed in inside instead of suites because we could cruise a lot more often that way. I do think people get too hung up on the status and the "rewards" and forget they cruise to vacation. My DH has 500K miles with United and they have changed the rules so many times in the years he's been flying with them. You just have to roll with the corporate changes or walk and hope enough others do that it will change things, but don't think it will because there's an unlimited supply of new cruisers.

The Platinum/Diamond/Diamond Plus cocktail receptions are the least attractive of all C&A perks as far as I am concerned. The last few we have attended have been so crowded there was no place to sit unless you get there really early. I wouldn't go at all, except that Hubby likes to go and spend a few minutes there.

I'd much rather have RCI take the money invested in those receptions and use it to give us free laundry or free Johnny Rockets or more attractive coupon options in the coupon books or bigger balcony or suite discounts, etc.

WOW

Still can not get over the word 'expect' used when it is a thank-you gesture.

I also wonder when the diamonds were told the CL access was no longer-stockholders-did the company take a huge hit when that happened? Are bookings down because of this? Is the company in trouble due to this loyalty change??:confused:

I am really glad more folks are speaking up on other loyalty options like a larger amount off on a return visit. Possible drink coupons in your coupon book are another option so those of us like FloGaleRNTX , which I could not agree with more-could have a nice quiet thank-you drink on the privacy of our balcony. As some of you will not admit to-the atmosphere[at least in the CL and have read horror stories on the DL] is not always that of one big happy group. At times it is very nice and at other times, you would like to blast the heck out of there!! Please let me take my vodka7 with me!!!:p

As a shareholder, it was hard to tell if the stock took a hit because the stock was already in the tank.

The Platinum/Diamond/Diamond Plus cocktail receptions are the least attractive of all C&A perks as far as I am concerned. The last few we have attended have been so crowded there was no place to sit unless you get there really early. I wouldn't go at all, except that Hubby likes to go and spend a few minutes there.

I'd much rather have RCI take the money invested in those receptions and use it to give us free laundry or free Johnny Rockets or more attractive coupon options in the coupon books or bigger balcony or suite discounts, etc.

Here is a list of all the coupons in the new book. IMHO they are much improved over what we used to get..

Current C&A Ultimate Value Booklet for Gold, Platinum, Diamond & Diamond Plus

As far as balcony discounts.......effective June 1, if you book more than 6 months from sailing you do get a better balcony discount.......

New OBC Plus Platinum ~ Diamond ~ Diamond Plus Balcony Discounts as of June 1, 2010

Every RC cruise I have been on has only had the cocktail reception for D/D+ members. I have never been invited to a special luncheon, breakfast, tea, snack or anything. Maybe this is because we usually are on cruises with a lot of C&A members.

On my second Holland America cruise I was invited to a repeat passenger luncheon and when I went to guest relations to ask if I could bring my cabin mate even though this was her first HAL cruise they told me "of course".

Archived