Silly SWA ?

39august

Why you would deny yourself an assigned seat, deny yourself FF miles that are no good outside the Continental US (approx 500 million FF miles accrued on credit cards that go begging which are PRIMARILY NOT on WN) or forego interline baggage or interline flights IF another airline is cheaper (including baggage fees)?

I'm primarily a Delta flyer and have status with them and enjoy the perks that come with it. And Southwest won't be serving my market until this coming March, so unless I drive 4 hours to JAX (which I've done!), they aren't an option.

Having said all that, I can offer a couple of reasons why a person might actually choose WN over another airline when their flight of choice is cheaper on the other airline: (just playing the devil's advocate, I guess :D)

1. WN offers the ability to cancel or change flights without penalty. That's a great benefit that DL most certainly does not offer. For a budget flyer especially, that could come be a very valuable benefit.

2. Perhaps a person has racked up FF miles on WN and need one more flight to earn an award ticket. That may well justify paying a few more dollars this time around.

Additionally, while FF miles on WN are only good on domestic tix, a lot of people don't travel internationally, so the fact that they can only use WN FF miles domestically is not a disadvantage. And, believe it or not, there really are people out there who don't care about seat assignments on domestic flights. For them, a 2 hour domestic flight is simply a way to get from point A to point B and they don't sweat their seat assignment.

Speaking of FF programs, SWA doesn't base their program on miles, so for a whole lot less "miles" than on legacy airlines, you can get a free ticket. Plus the only tax you pay on the free ticket is the so called Sept 11 tax of a few dollars. :)

For a one or two hour flight, most people don't require airport lounges or "fine" (:p) dining while in the air.

No fair interjecting reality into the discussion.

SWA biz model doesn't depend on what other airlines do. SWA is the clear leader and it is the SWA biz model that many other airlines would LUV to be able to copy. :D

I really should say here that I think greatam means well in her posts, but what happens here between the two of you illustrates a drawback in having a combined "Cruise Air" board.

Cunard cruisers don't go over to the Carnival board and talk about all that the Carnival pax are missing by choosing a cheaper line. It would be pointless and cause unnecessary arguments, since there are different preferences involved, different needs and different priorities.

Similarly, on the FlyerTalk site, I doubt that greatam spends a whole lot of time on the Southwest board, warning frequent Southwest travelers about all the pitfalls that may or may not exist for lower fares. (I don't know this for a fact because I don't spend a lot of time on FT, in fact I only lurk there because the talk is so far over my head that I have little to add :o).

I agree that FF miles that can't be used internationally would not be helpful to me, but not everyone flies out of the US twice a year and I recognize that. Also, not everyone needs a lounge, and even those of us who use lounges don't need them at every flight connection.

Maybe the only solution is to have subdivisions within the board for "Legacy Lies" and "Budget Lines". Mods, are you listening? :D

I really should say here that I think greatam means well in her posts, but what happens here between the two of you illustrates a drawback in having a combined "Cruise Air" board.

Maybe the only solution is to have subdivisions within the board for "Legacy Lies" and "Budget Lines". Mods, are you listening? :D

I "think" that's just a typo and your last sentence - "legacy LIES" ! :eek:

Actually a very good post! People here have very different interests and very few are like "greatam" - but she seems to think that it's her way or the highway.

I am a pretty loyal SWA user in that Baltimore is a large hub. I can almost get to anywhere in the USA or at least get close. Once you get used to the boarding procedure it works like a charm and you hate to go back to the assigned seating mess. My husband and I fly SWA maybe 10 times a year (we did much more when taking care of an elder long distance) and have been to many of the SWA airports. Every year there are more and better located airports added. Can't wait for the AirTran merger when those will be available too. I can tell you that when SWA comes in the prices for air fares go way down. I admit to using the system -- Ding etc and I buy when the sales go on and I do have flexible time schedule somewhat. Still my fares everywhere average 1/3 of what my sister's do living in a "Delta town". All good in my book. I use what perks I can get to make my travel more affordable.

Wow, I just stumbled on this thread and had no idea that people get as worked up about their airlines as they do cruise lines, smoking, chair hogs and formal nights:eek:!

I live very close to an SW hub and use them whenever possible. DH travels for business and uses them as often as possible. We rack up enough points using them for business travel that whenever we travel for pleasure it is usually free, plus being on A-List our boarding pass lets us have first choice of seats, too.

Last week I had to fly DL and it was awful!! One of the worst flights I've had in a LONG time, assigned seat or not, plus had to pay baggage fees! One flight attendant we had was on some kind of wild power trip "You better have your seat belt showing so I don't have to disturb you," etc.

IMHO, airlines are a way of getting from Place A to Place B. I don't consider them part of the "vacation". That starts when I step on the ship!:D

Wow, I just stumbled on this thread and had no idea that people get as worked up about their airlines as they do cruise lines, smoking, chair hogs and formal nights:eek:!

Yes, it hits a very sensitive nerve with some people. Some SW-haters, some SW-lovers. I rarely fly them but I am not against them at all. And I don't believe all the hype of what AA says SW's business model is.

I live very close to an SW hub and use them whenever possible. DH travels for business and uses them as often as possible. We rack up enough points using them for business travel that whenever we travel for pleasure it is usually free, plus being on A-List our boarding pass lets us have first choice of seats, too.

But you don't get first class or upgrades or lounge access. And you can't use your points for international travel as some would claim. :eek:

This back and forth has been going on as long as I can remember on this board and I doubt that it will end with this thread.

For me, I have no loyalty to any airline. I've flown Southwest a lot. Sometimes it works for me and other times not. There are a lot of things I like about SW and a few that I seriously dislike - like the non-assigned seating. When I'm travelling with my golf clubs, often the best deal for me is Southwest. My last flight was without my clubs so it was Delta. The next one is Air Canada which was a huge surprize for me. I price them all out including all taxes and baggage fees. There is no clear cut winner in my books.

But you don't get first class or upgrades or lounge access. And you can't use your points for international travel as some would claim. :eek:

I don't know of anyone who would claim that. My platinum amex gets me lounge access and i use amex points to obtain first class international tickets.

I did see that starting in December, platinum amex gets a new benefit - up to $200/yr reimbursement for nickle and diming fees such as luggage fees or even club access. Obviously, this is of less value for SWA fliers where bags fly free. :) I suppose I could try to drink $200 in cocktails, but will probably designate a different airline as my choice.

Harsh, NO. REALITY, yes. There are VERY often cheaper flights INCLUDING baggage fees on other airlines. WN's business model is to WAIT to post prices until the cheap flights (INCLUDING baggage fees) have been sold out.

We track this in our business DAILY from MAJOR airports point to point.

No rant at all-it is fact. Sorry you don't take agree. Why you would deny yourself an assigned seat, deny yourself FF miles that are no good outside the Continental US (approx 500 million FF miles accrued on credit cards that go begging which are PRIMARILY NOT on WN) or forego interline baggage or interline flights IF another airline is cheaper (including baggage fees)?

Your choice-I have no money in other airlines and certainly no money in WN. Shouldn't others be INFORMED that there are OPTIONS (just as I posted)

greatam - I have no idea why you and flyertalker, the sarge and many others on this site, (or why any of you have the patience) keep trying to help others. You (and the others) have certainly given me information in the past that has benefited me to the nth degree. For others - if you can't take YES for an answer.... don't ask a question!

if you can't take YES for an answer.... don't ask a question!

Maybe you didn't read the first three posts. Post #1 asked a question:

It's been a few years since I flew SWA. Do they still offer peanuts or other snack? I know the checked bags are free...yea!

Simple question that was answered in post #2.

But of course, when it comes to Southwest, some posters can't refrain themselves. So post #3 got way off topic with a typical WN rant (and yes, that was a rant!). That started everything in a different direction.

But of course, when it comes to Southwest, some posters can't refrain themselves. So post #3 got way off topic with a typical WN rant (and yes, that was a rant!). That started everything in a different direction.

I totally read the 1st 3 posts, and you're right - the question was answered. But as far as a rant... didn't see it. Just saw a reply that simply stated that WN could be more expensive than other airlines, and to check out the prices, and basically - don't worry about the peanuts!

But as far as a rant... didn't see it. Just saw a reply that simply stated that WN could be more expensive than other airlines, and to check out the prices

Maybe I am putting words into greatam's mouth or am reading words that are not there. But I read this:

Why anyone wants to ride "Greyhound of the Skies" with no chosen seating, no FF flier perks that get you any place other than the Continental 48 and the heavy restrictions of WN (NO interline baggage, NO interline flights) is beyond me???

That certainly is not simply "WN could be more expensive...check out the prices". To me and many others, including dictionary.com, this is called a rant.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rant

...to speak or declaim extravagantly.

And not only is it a rant, it is a personal opinion. Many people don't want to fly outside the continental 48, many people don't care about FF perks (though Southwest has an incredibly generous FF program with free companions on ALL flights if you fly enough) or pre-assigned seats. Many people don't care about interlining baggage if they are starting and ending where Southwest flies. I find that Delta Airlines could certainly also vie for the title of "Greyhound of the Skies" sometimes, and this is coming from someone who has high elite status with them.

And of course the positives of Southwest, including no change fees and a 100% refund of fare drops in the form of a credit voucher for future travel were conveniently not mentioned (most airlines charge $150/person for any changes, including for fare drops).

Regardless, this topic will soon be closed and we can all wait until the next innocent person asks about peanuts on Southwest for another off-topic rant to begin :D

Some of you sure are cranky!

Not me !! I'm (obviously) from Canada.. and we have a sense of humor!! I've been reading thru these posts and laughing at how much some people really don't like other's opinions. Come on people... read, listen, try to comprehend, then go to bed and think about it!!;)

I frequent Delta, American, Continental and WN.

I actually prefer WN for many reasons:

--the new boarding procedures are great and I can sit where I want. (AA, Delta and Cont AL now block out the forward seats for last minute customers).

--from my home city I can fly greater distances with more options on WN.

--southwest's FF program is better for me! I earn a free ticket every year with WN (I have 30,000+ miles with Delta and that's not going to get me any flight).

--if a price drops on WN you receive a credit that can be applied to other flights.

--WN's CEO makes $1,559,431 in total compensation; Delta's CEO makes $8,375,332 in total compensation; American's CEO makes $5,631,002 in total compensation; and Cont AL's CEO makes $4,320,867 in total compensation (2009). My travel dollar is a "vote" for a particular business model.

Is Southwest cheaper? -- not always, but I sure like the way they do business.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

By the way, you really can't blame greatam and FlyerTalker -- they business travel so often that I'm sure they are up in first class most of the time(??). When you think of Private Lounges and First Class -- that leaves Southwest out of the picture.

I'm sure most air-warriors prefer their favorite "Legacy" line for good reason!

(see -- "Up in the Air" movie)

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Maybe I am putting words into greatam's mouth or am reading words that are not there. But I read this:

"Originally Posted by greatam viewpost.gif

Why anyone wants to ride "Greyhound of the Skies" with no chosen seating, no FF flier perks that get you any place other than the Continental 48 and the heavy restrictions of WN (NO interline baggage, NO interline flights) is beyond me???"

That certainly is not simply "WN could be more expensive...check out the prices". To me and many others, including dictionary.com, this is called a rant.

Which is EXACTLY why TT said greatam was being harsh.... it wasn't part of the "real service" FlyerTalker suggested in his post. Sure, give us facts to make a decision, everyone appreciates that. But there is no need to put down those who make that choice based on their own particular needs and priorities.

And going back to the original question - they don't always offer peanuts, but they do offer something or other. Last time I few on Southwest, we got pretzels since somebody on the plane was allergic to peanuts.

Apologies if somebody else already said that. Halfway down the bickerfest, I stopped reading.

And going back to the original question - they don't always offer peanuts, but they do offer something or other. Last time I few on Southwest, we got pretzels since somebody on the plane was allergic to peanuts.

Apologies if somebody else already said that. Halfway down the bickerfest, I stopped reading.

Actually the question was answered in the second post. The thread should have been locked after that before the rant started :D

I am not a frequent flier, but I have to chime in. No one has ever missed a meeting due to a weather-related delay? Or a mechanical breakdown? When shopping, do your choices always rest with one store, (Wal-Mart, for example), or can a shopper choose to shop at Target, JC Penney, or other stores? Does the free-market system offer choices? Can we all make our own decisions based on what WE want, not what someone says we should do because they travel a lot?? If I make a choice to fly Southwest, it is because it is MY choice, (and in April, 2011, it is my choice because their price was the most reasonable). So just like no one wants opinions crammed down their throat about religion, child-rearing, or any of a million topics, the same holds true for flying and choice of carrier. Surely another person can influence my decision because of their experiences, but the final decision rests with ME!!!:D

Archived