Oh Boy -- need help -- Serenade vs Adventure -- Southern

holty

So, we're trying to make Spring Break plans into a place with good snorkeling, looking around, and adventure. I've heard the Southern Caribbean is the best. I've focused on either Serenade or Adventure in mid-April 2011. Both ships go to different places on 16/17 April.

Who we are: Family with two kids 8/10 and we're active. Sitting too long makes us fidgety.

The kids club is less of an issue as we'd likely do everything together (and rarely use it).

Please help us make a decision on which ship to take?

The Adventure definitely has more things to offer for the entire family. The Royal Promenade is great place to hang out, shop, eat, drink etc. There will be two parades on the Royal Promenade to watch. Adults and kids will enjoy them. The skating rink is there if you choose to use it. The kids will want to brag, when they get home, that they ice skated on a cruise ship. Go to the ice show it is a MUST SEE.

You're are right that the southern Caribbean has the very best itineraries.

I have been on both ships. As others have said, with your kids I would definitely opt for Adventure. I LOVE Serenade, but it's an older and smaller ship with a lot fewer kid-friendly perks. The Adventure will have ice-skating, in-line skating, two main pools (rather than one), the Royal Promenade...there are just a lot more things that appeal to kids on the Voyager class ships. The Serenade is great for a couples cruise. It's smaller, more elegant, more intimate and has wonderful views due to the abundance of glass. But it draws few families with kids and the main pool area is very small.

My next cruise is with my 17-year-old son and we're going on a Voyager Class ship. I think it's a great size for families.

ENJOY!

We did Adventure last year w/then 10 yr old DD and 11 year old DS. We did the Barbados route with 5 ports and everyone had a ball. Snorkeling w/turtles in Barbados is not to be missed!

We've only done the Voyager class or Freedom class and the rock wall, golf, Promenade (pizza, ice-cream, shops) and ice shows are all huge kid/family favorites. It was a great cruise!

I have been on both ships. As others have said, with your kids I would definitely opt for Adventure. I LOVE Serenade, but it's an older and smaller ship with a lot fewer kid-friendly perks. The Adventure will have ice-skating, in-line skating, two main pools (rather than one), the Royal Promenade...there are just a lot more things that appeal to kids on the Voyager class ships. The Serenade is great for a couples cruise. It's smaller, more elegant, more intimate and has wonderful views due to the abundance of glass. But it draws few families with kids and the main pool area is very small.

My next cruise is with my 17-year-old son and we're going on a Voyager Class ship. I think it's a great size for families.

ENJOY!

We've sailed both and I completely agree with printingchick.

ENJOY!

Adventure was put into service in 2001. Serenade was put into service in 2003.

To the OP.... I have been on both ships and Adventure is definitely the ship for you.

Now that my kids are grown, we are planning our first reunion on the Serenade in June, 2011. We chose the Serenade because the Adventure is repositioning to Europe and the Serenade is the ONLY ship doing the southern caribbean route next June. Adventure is definately better for younger children.

They are both nice ships, but I would choose Serenade contrary to one of the posters above the Serenade is actually newer than Adventure. The Radiance Class ships were designed after the success of the Voyager Class ships, they wanted to build a ship that included many of the features of the Voyager Class ships in a smaller package that would fit through the Panama Canal. The Radiance class (Serenade) are the only RCCL ships with a waterslide for the kids, it isn't huge but the kids seem to enjoy it.

You will have a great time on either ship, I would chose the cruise based on the itinerary. Especially on the Southern Caribbean itinerary where the ship is in Port everyday the itinerary will make a bigger difference than the ship.

We chose the Serenade due to the itinerary. We wanted to be on the ship as little as possible - we'll spend as much time as we can on the beaches every day - only one day at sea, we wish there were none! It looks like they both have similar itineraries, so I'd go by price - or just ask the kids which they would prefer!

We chose the Serenade due to the itinerary. We wanted to be on the ship as little as possible - we'll spend as much time as we can on the beaches every day - only one day at sea, we wish there were none! It looks like they both have similar itineraries, so I'd go by price - or just ask the kids which they would prefer!

Hey Sand -- what are the ages of your kids, did they enjoy Serenade?

This is a no brainer...the Adventure of the Seas. I just off the Mariner (sister ship to Adventure) and simply loved the design, lounges, inside promenade & pool deck, etc. Perfect for families. Serenade is very nice too, but it's not as grand as the Adventure. Much more for families to do on the Adventure with the ice skating rink, mini golf course, in line skating, etc.

Hey Sand -- what are the ages of your kids, did they enjoy Serenade?

We go in 8 days - I'll let you know! We have a 9yo boy. We chose the Serenade for both of us. But to be honest, we'll be off the ship as soon as possible every day and heading to a beach w/our snorkel equipment. We'll stay at the beach as long as possible, then just eat dinner, catch a little live music, and head to bed to do it all over again. We aren't concerned about the ship - and we like the sound of the Serenade and all of the glass, the whole "promenade" thing doesn't appeal to us at all. We have no interest in the larger ships at all. We really just wanted to visit all the islands (for future vacation reference!)

Go with the Adventure. The Royal Promenade, Ice Rink and inline skating track and great for the kids. We love the Radiance class when it's just my husband and I but when we take our son, we go Voyager class or Freedom class. The southern itineraries are the best IMO. St. Lucia, Antigua and Barbados are great! Enjoy your cruise!

I think your kids would like either one. On a Voyager class ship, there will be lots of kids and activities, for sure. On a Radiance class, there will be less kids, but it may be easier to make friends because it is a lower-key environment. My kids have been on both and had a good time on both. They do like to get out in the ports, however. If your kids like to stay on the ship, they may like the bigger ships better.

Archived