Confused about pricing please advise

celticlady

OK, I have been checking prices on the princess website everyday. I see cruise prices dropping everywhere. I was just reading some posts on another thread where 2 different people say that they have had a price decrease for the March 6th cruise on the Ruby. They mentioned that they had seen the price reduction and called their TA. I have been looking and I did not see it. How is that possible? I called Princess and just asked for a price(didn't tell them I had already booked) they gave me base price of $1409, same as it has been. I really don't understand and am frustrated. Can someone help? Thanks so much :confused:

OK, I have been checking prices on the princess website everyday. I see cruise prices dropping everywhere. I was just reading some posts on another thread where 2 different people say that they have had a price decrease for the March 6th cruise on the Ruby. They mentioned that they had seen the price reduction and called their TA. I have been looking and I did not see it. How is that possible? I called Princess and just asked for a price(didn't tell them I had already booked) they gave me base price of $1409, same as it has been. I really don't understand and am frustrated. Can someone help? Thanks so much :confused:

Do you have a past passenger number?

Have you tried signing in on the Princess website.

This may be the reason if they saw their lower fares online.

There also may be fares that only TA's can see that you are not. :)

I'm a little confused here. When I log in at Princess.com and check the prices for the March 6th, 2011 Ruby cruise I see the following base prices:

Inside - $549

Oceanview Obstructed - $599

Oceanview - $699

Balcony - $849

Mini Suite - $1049

An AA Mini-Suite on the Dolphin deck is only about $1200 on the site right now. Are you a past passenger (not that it would make this significant of price difference, even when I logged out each category was only about $100 higher per person)? With the screen name celticlady any chance you're booking from Great Britain?

Edit: Just saw the OP's signature line, first cruise on Princess so no past passenger rate.

They may also have booked at higher rates than you did initially. Also, sometimes only certain categories are reduced not all cabins, your category may be closer to full.

We had a price drop of $100/pp on our March 20th cruise out of San Juan and we called our TA and got the price drop (I saw the price drop on Princess.com) It was only a price drop for past pax though. We were the only ones out of our group to be able to get the discount because this will be everyone elses first cruise with Princess. I think we ended up getting $90 off each because we had already gotten 10% off the top when we booked with the sale the TA was having a few weeks ago. Hope this helps.

Do you have a past passenger number?

Have you tried signing in on the Princess website.

This may be the reason if they saw their lower fares online.

There also may be fares that only TA's can see that you are not. :)

Colo Cruiser, no,I do not have a past customer number. Yes, I have tried signing in on the Princess website. The OPs both that they had seen it on the website. One contacted her TA and got the reduction. The other called princess and got it. Thank you :)

I looked at the Princess website and a major travel website. Princess gave me the prices Coracii listed. The major travel website showed $1,409 for an AA mini suite. If that is the category the OP has, I would suggest going for a lower category, such as an AE mini suite--to save $420. There are only two of them on the ship and the odds are you'd get upgraded. But even if you don't, the rooms are the same, just closer to the front of the ship.

You would actually need to know the category you booked, not just the deck it is located on. But just an FYI, on that sailing, ALL balcony cabins are showing 'waitlist only' which means there are none available right now, so a price drop would be almost impossible when they have all the balcony cabins booked. I am guessing you have either a BF, BE or BD cabin booked presently, as they are all showing $1399.

I booked a gty for my Feb Grand sailing...friend mentioned the price dropped so I called the TA...she said we had a nice reduction. We were then assigned a cabin in a higher cat then the gty was for...:D This was about a month ago. Went from HH to CC.

Yesterday, the same friend mentioned another reduction...called TA she now says we can not get the new reduction without giving up the upgrade we recieved...we would have to go back to the gty cat....:confused:

Is this correct?? I have never been assigned a cabin with this good an upgrade this early in booking...usually one of the folks without a cabin until just before sailing.

Yesterday, the same friend mentioned another reduction...called TA she now says we can not get the new reduction without giving up the upgrade we recieved...we would have to go back to the gty cat....:confused:

Is this correct?? I have never been assigned a cabin with this good an upgrade this early in booking...usually one of the folks without a cabin until just before sailing.

Yes, that is correct.

I totally agree with Coral on this. If you took the upgrade and ask for another price decrease, you will have to give up that upgrade and be placed back into the guarantee pool and take your chances (remember, some actually end up in the category they booked the guarantee in). It is your choice whether you take the money or the upgrade you have already received, you don't get both. Enjoy!

Correct. Even though you have a better cabin, your booking is still in the original guarantee cat. When they put in the price drop, its effectively a cancellation and rebook paperwork wise, so that would put you back in the guarantee pool.

I booked a gty for my Feb Grand sailing...friend mentioned the price dropped so I called the TA...she said we had a nice reduction. We were then assigned a cabin in a higher cat then the gty was for...:D This was about a month ago. Went from HH to CC.

You would actually need to know the category you booked, not just the deck it is located on. But just an FYI, on that sailing, ALL balcony cabins are showing 'waitlist only' which means there are none available right now, so a price drop would be almost impossible when they have all the balcony cabins booked. I am guessing you have either a BF, BE or BD cabin booked presently, as they are all showing $1399.

I have room B420 on the diamond, so waitlist means people are waiting for a cabin on that deck and probably no price drop? Thanks :)

I have room B420 on the diamond, so waitlist means people are waiting for a cabin on that deck and probably no price drop? Thanks :)

Not only no price drop, but no guarantee they will even be able to get a cabin on the ship.

Not sure of the details regarding your specific cruise, but are you sure that these folks were talking about the prices on the Princess web site vs prices that might be offered by certain travel agencies? One reason we have never booked directly with Princess (and we are Elite with this line) is that we have always found much better deals through certain large on-line travel agencies. We have actually called Princess to ask if they would match prices we have seen elsewhere and were always politely told that they were not authorized to match the lower prices we could get from some TAs. The excuse given was that a particular TA might be offering a special "group or promotional rate" which is not available directly from Princess.

Hank

This just happened to me, I gave up the cabin for a $400 price difference...its just a balcony cabin...went back to a guarantee and we will start the cabin assignment watch all over again!!

Archived