Christmas gifts for ship's crew - suggestions?

keels81

Hiya!

My family and I are traveling on the Century out of Miami over Christmas.

I was hoping to bring small gifts to give to members of the staff (bartenders, waiters, housekeepers, etc.) over our trip as a token of gratitude.

When we spent Christmas in the D.R. a couple of years ago, I gave our AI waitstaff Sammy Sosa t-shirts with some cash as a Christmas gift. So I've been trying to come up with similar ideas that would be good for people that stay in such a small amount of space. Having not cruised in years, I don't know what the needs/wants/luxuries might be.

Help?

There are lots of threads about gifting the crew and the general consensus is that gifts aren't the best idea. Extra cash, a letter to the Hotel Director and a card is the best thing. The crew live in a very confined area and have no room for gifts. They work for cash to send home to their families. Look at it this way. Cabin stewards serve around 16 cabins, and if even half of their passengers give them a gift, imagine how much stuff they would get. Where would they put them and what would they do with all that stuff? Some give candy or food, but that's not the best either because you're dealing with issues such as religious practices and allergies. Some say they want to give calling cards, but most calling cards don't work and the crew get a great discount on cards they purchase in the crew quarters. Giving gifts at an AI resort is really different because those workers live at home, not in a confined space on a cruise ship. They really don't wear the caps and tshirts that people give them.

Cash is the best and most appreciated.

Edited by kitty9

The above ideas are best for the reasons given: Cash is king and maybe some candy or similar nice consumable.

One other idea: We played cards on the back deck of a TA crossing a while back. A waiter we know watched us every day and at the end of the cruise we gave him the game (not a standard deck of cards) and he seemed very thankful. This was something small that he could use often in what little spare time he had or that he could take home when he left the boat a few weeks later.

Edited by Lsimon

Giving a gift is a personal thing for the giver.

I say give whatever you want to give. As far as religion if they don’t celebrate Christmas tell them you do and let them know because you do this is a way for you to give to them because of your religion.

I live in a very multiple cultural place. I never let that stop my Christmas and people that I share it with are grateful. They in turn share with me what they believe in.

:)

One year we sailed over christmas...We gave out really pretty ornaments with the year (small) with an envelope of cash. I also like the idea of giving something meaningful along with the cash..maybe they don't REALLY want it or recognize the holiday, but I do (cabin was decorated like that Tim Allen movie....) and I think they knew where I was coming from with the ornament/cash gift.

As Kitty9 and others have stated, there is just no room in the cabins for gifts. CASH is absolutely the best gift and will be very much appreciated whatever their culture.

And I love the idea of a letter to the hotel director. What a great idea.

Anne :)

The letter goes so much farther than anything. Crew members who have these letters on their resume, are given promotions, raises and other recognition. I know that one time, we had a great cabin steward. All of us wrote a letter to the Hotel Director, extolling his virtues. On our next cruise, we saw him and he was so happy because he said our letter was instrumental in him being promoted to a butler. They also get recognition as employee of the month, which gets them a bonus.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

The letter to the hotel director sounds like an excellent idea. I will definitely take the time to do that.

What about international pre-paid phone cards? Do people even use those any more?

...What about international pre-paid phone cards? Do people even use those any more?

I've heard a lot of different comments on these - including more than one that indicated the crew can buy these on board at pretty good prices. If that is truly the case (I'm not sure either way) then the best gift remains cash.

The letter goes so much farther than anything. Crew members who have these letters on their resume, are given promotions, raises and other recognition. I know that one time, we had a great cabin steward. All of us wrote a letter to the Hotel Director, extolling his virtues. On our next cruise, we saw him and he was so happy because he said our letter was instrumental in him being promoted to a butler. They also get recognition as employee of the month, which gets them a bonus.

Thanks for stressing this, Darcie. It only takes a few minutes of your time to get an Attention to Detail card from Guest Relations, fill it out, and submit it. I pick up a handful at the beginning of the cruise.

I heard from our assistant waiter after my last cruise that he had been promoted to waiter as a result of the Attention to Detail cards everybody at our table submitted.

So if you have staff who are really great, please take the time to give them the recognition they so richly deserve. (We also tipped him extra, of course.)

Giving a gift is a personal thing for the giver.

I say give whatever you want to give. As far as religion if they don’t celebrate Christmas tell them you do and let them know because you do this is a way for you to give to them because of your religion.

I live in a very multiple cultural place. I never let that stop my Christmas and people that I share it with are grateful. They in turn share with me what they believe in.

:)

I concur with this poster's sentiments. I work with a number of people originally from India -- some are Hindi, and I am happy that I have a good enough relationship with them that they choose to include me and my family in many of their celebrations.

Since it is only my DD, my DH and me - on Christmas day we generally invite all of our friends who are from far away for a big Christmas potluck. Especially those who are non-Christain appreciate somewhere to go.

We are Russian Orthodox (or OCA) Christains - and as such celebrate many religious holidays on other dates than the western rites Christian churches -- Christmas is a few weeks later (Russian Orthodox still celebrates Christmas based upon the Julian calendar rather than the Gregorian); what western rites call Easter, eastern rites call Pascha -- and the calculation to determine when it falls so most of the time we celebrate on a different date. We are not offended if someone wishes us a "Happy Easter" -- we recognize it as a genuine sentiment.

As to a gift - while cash is always appreciated, it is not really a gift. A personalized note and if you want to bestow a gift - a small token -- a nice pen, or pad of Post-Its - can be used by most people. A holiday sticker is somthing they can choose to wear on their badge for the day (dependent upon the line's uniform policy), a nice heavy-duty clip-on badge holder or key-holder (one where the cord retracts) is useful and even if they have one, they tend to break so it is nice to have a spare. Food can be problematic due to diatary restrictions but a small holiday sweet as suggested ealier would be appropriate -- they can always "re-gift" it :) Remember it's the thought that counts!

Obviously, it's nice to give gifts, and it's upto the individual what to give.

CASH is the way to go for me. Even more than phone cards.

Some people feel it's impersonal to give cash but I ask myself....

On payday at work, would I rather be paid cash, phone cards, or candy?

As a christmas bonus, would I rather get cash, phone cards, or candy?

Cash for me.

And I suspect, most of the crew likes cash too.

I've heard a lot of different comments on these - including more than one that indicated the crew can buy these on board at pretty good prices. If that is truly the case (I'm not sure either way) then the best gift remains cash.

The biggest smile I've ever seen was when I told the assistant waiter (when giving him his tip envelope) I had put on the card a recommendation to promote him to waiter.

My favorite bartender on Azamara (early) looked really down one night and I asked him what was wrong. He said they HAD been ablel to call home when pax were not using the bandwidth (around 3AM) at a very good rate, but they had changed poliocy and would charge full rate beginnining then. His wife was expecting their first child long before he would finish his contract!

I had intended to give him a tip anyway ( in additionto the 15%).

Thanks for the replies everyone!

The letter to the hotel director sounds like an excellent idea. I will definitely take the time to do that.

What about international pre-paid phone cards? Do people even use those any more?

The phone cards you purchase at home are for calling FROM the US to an international city, and not the other way around. If you still want the calling card, you'd have to purchase local calling cards in every port, as they are not interchangeable.

I was at the Walgreen's next to the port everglades entrance last Saturday and there was a foreign man in line looking through the phone cards. He asked for a certain one and the cashier told him they haven't been getting that one lately. Maybe certain ones are better for calling certain countries. I then saw the man walking into the port so I think he was a crew member of Princess or RCCL which were in port. So maybe they like phone cards but you could give them one that they can't use to call their country.

• 3 years later...

I am leaving next week on a Carnival cruise that extends through Christmas. I will bring a few wrapped presents for staff members... Knowing they have little space to store "junk", I opted for something useful... A wallet stuffed with Two Dollar Bills... The wallet is small and if nothing else, the staff member can use it to "re-gift". The Two Dollar Bills are unusual and are always well received as tips -- plus, they are cash!

I am leaving next week on a Carnival cruise that extends through Christmas. I will bring a few wrapped presents for staff members... Knowing they have little space to store "junk", I opted for something useful... A wallet stuffed with Two Dollar Bills... The wallet is small and if nothing else, the staff member can use it to "re-gift". The Two Dollar Bills are unusual and are always well received as tips -- plus, they are cash!

With all due respect, the $2 bill idea is not a good one. Since the crew spends so much time out of the US, many, many countries won't accept them and see them as fake. Heck, I've had problems using them here in the US.