What's Up With The Muster Drill

wizard-of-roz

We're cruising in a few weeks and haven't cruised on Princess for several months.

Everyone is telling us something different.....Do we still have to take our life jackets to the drill? And, they're still inside.....correct?

Not sure who you've spoken to but the only change I'm aware of is that they are swiping cruise cards at the entrance to the muster stations. You bring, not wear, your life jacket. And, yes, it's still inside, warm/cool and comfortable.

Muster drills are so much easier now. with Princess, grab your life jacket, walk to assigned location, sit down, watch and listen. You only put on your life jacket at the end of the drill, when you practice.

A far cry from our first cruise on the SS Universe. We all stood silently outside on the Promenade deck wearing our life jackets and we each were personally inspected by the Captain. Then they lowered some lifeboats down to the Promenade deck. One woman nearly had heart failure because she thought we were going to practice getting on and being lowered into the water. For the second muster drill on that cruise we stood outside and watched the crew wearing fire suits practice fire fighting with hoses blasting on the ship and into the water.

When that was what we expected for a muster drill, you can imagine our shock when on the Costa Riviera, there were passengers with their life jackets all askew were talking, laughing and drinking cocktails during the drill.

When that was what we expected for a muster drill, you can imagine our shock when on the Costa Riviera, there were passengers with their life jackets all askew were talking, laughing and drinking cocktails during the drill.

Was the ship's orchestra playing "We'll Meet Again" on deck?:p

We're cruising in a few weeks and haven't cruised on Princess for several months.

Everyone is telling us something different.....Do we still have to take our life jackets to the drill? And, they're still inside.....correct?

Yes and yes and as stated they swipe some cruise cards.

They didn't swipe our cruise cards on the 10/30 Crown sailing. We had the largest muster station up in the Princess Theater so that may have been the reason why.

We did have to bring our life jacket with us as always.

They didn't swipe our cruise cards on the 10/30 Crown sailing. We had the largest muster station up in the Princess Theater so that may have been the reason why.

We did have to bring our life jacket with us as always.

Same cruise, muster station in Club Fusion. they did swipe our cards.

One of the great things about Princess is the muster station drill. It is so civilized. Believe it or not, there are still come cruise lines that make you stand outside near the life boats. I don't know if those still call out your cabin number, but that was a rotten experience.

Jim

One of the great things about Princess is the muster station drill. It is so civilized. Believe it or not, there are still come cruise lines that make you stand outside near the life boats. I don't know if those still call out your cabin number, but that was a rotten experience.
Yup. HAL still does it this way but in their defense, the deck with most of the lounges is not on the same deck as access to the lifeboats. On Princess, they can take you directly to the lifeboats; on most HAL ships, they can't. I think Celebrity and RCCL still do ondeck Muster, where you get to stand for half an hour or more in all weather conditions, packed like sardines so you can listen to a bad PA system explain Muster. I have NEVER understood a word at any outdoor Muster and if I had to find "my" lifeboat in an emergency, I'd be SOOL.

Others must have got to the muster stations early--because by the time we walked down the 5 decks, we had to stand rather than comfortably sit! So--leave a little early if you don't want to stand.

On our Emerald cruise 10/29 to 11/8, they swiped some of the cards, but not all.

On RCCL they no longer have to take their life jacket to the munster station..

Our 2010 RCCL muster experience:

The muster drill required everyone to be outside at the lifeboat station assigned to you and listed on the cruise card. There was no need to bring the life vest to the muster. Use of the vest was demonstrated by a crew member at each lifeboat. No mention was made of what needed to be done if it became necessary to walk/jump into the water. Everyone lined up in rows on the deck with their backs to the wall. Most people could not see over/through the people in front of them to actually see the demonstration by the crew member putting on the vest. Before the demo they did a roll call with everyone's name that was assigned to that lifeboat. They made note of all passengers who were not there, but I do not know what they did with that list.

Yup. HAL still does it this way but in their defense, the deck with most of the lounges is not on the same deck as access to the lifeboats. On Princess, they can take you directly to the lifeboats; on most HAL ships, they can't. I think Celebrity and RCCL still do ondeck Muster, where you get to stand for half an hour or more in all weather conditions, packed like sardines so you can listen to a bad PA system explain Muster. I have NEVER understood a word at any outdoor Muster and if I had to find "my" lifeboat in an emergency, I'd be SOOL.

We just came back from RCCL and yes, we were outside, and no, we weren't "packed like sardines" and it wasn't a half an hour, but more like

15 to 20 minutes max. It was extremely orderly, just like when we were

on Celebrity 9 years ago, as a matter of fact.

We've been on 11 Princess cruises in between and it is nice to assemble

in the rooms.

Thanks everyone......I can remember being onboard RCCL, outside, when it was 98 degrees with 90% humidity, in Florida. We wore our LifeVests and it took more than 45 minutes. Two people fainted!

And, then onboard HAL, again, it was very, very warm and they took roll-call - My DH was not feeling well and elected to stay in our cabin....our Steward told him there would be a Make-up drill the following day, where, again, they would take roll. And, sure enough, under our door, that evening, was a letter from the Captain requesting that we go to the Theatre the following afternoon to take a "Muster Drill" lesson. The note said it was "mandatory" that we show-up!

Nothing like the "Muster Police" to ruin an afternoon!!!! :(

It is interesting how different the muster drills are on each line.

I remember our first HAL muster drill 20+ years ago - it was very serious and they had clipboards and took attendance. And yes - they did go hunt down a few missing people and made them attend.

On CCL many years ago, well, that was a completely different experience because our station was by the pool and we brought our life vests AND our welcome aboard drinks with us and no one seemed to care (this was before we had kids ;) Thank goodness nothing happened on that cruise or we would have been in trouble.

On Disney, 2 years ago, they made us put our life vests on (and specifically made sure we had the correct sizes for the kids) and we had to line up by the lifeboats with women and children in the front and men in the back. But even with a large number of children on board, the drill was very quick and efficient.

Lastly on RCCL last spring, our muster sattion was in the dining room so we didnt have to line up outside nor did we have to bring our life vests. It was very civilized and we all got to sit down in comfort. Others though I think did have to go stand outside so it was luck of the draw.

Oct. on Caribbean Princess-only some had cards swiped. Carry life jackets, sit in assigned lounge if you can get a seat. There were lots standing where we were.

Same on the Emerald and the Grand. If you missed in the scanning no one will say a word. It appears to be just an exercise to make sure the equipment is in working order.

Same on the Emerald and the Grand. If you missed in the scanning no one will say a word. It appears to be just an exercise to make sure the equipment is in working order.

What makes you so sure?

What equipment are they testing?

I would assume nothing of the sort when it comes to a safety drill.

Archived