Body scanners, More likely not to fly to cruise?

derf5585

Just the hassles at the Philly airport have changed our cruising plans these past few years. We drive to the ports! Of course doing Europe might be a little tricky but by the time we can afford to cross the pond the TSA and Homeland Security might have their acts together.

Sadly, this is a very bad intrusion but what is the alternative? We don't like to fly anyway but this has gotten out of hand so, trains and cars for our future. I'm sure that trains will be next.

Happy Cruising (and flying) all.

Pat C

What are your thoughts about the new body scanners? And will it affect your future cruise plans.

Are you kidding? The new body scanners don't bother me in the least, and I am actually glad they are tightening up security. It will not affect my cruise plans nearly as much as the airlines charging for baggage.:mad:

I don't get the hysteria. I won't change any travel plans.

If they wanted to do a pat down, I wonder what would happen if you just took off your clothes?:D

What are your thoughts about the new body scanners? And will it affect your future cruise plans.

I wish that they could have two queues at the airport; one for those who almost never fly and one for those who have flown often. let the people who know what they are doing get through security quickly by being prepared, and the people who take 10 minutes to get their shoes off and put everything on the belt can go to the other lines.

I wish that they could have two queues at the airport; one for those who almost never fly and one for those who have flown often. let the people who know what they are doing get through security quickly by being prepared, and the people who take 10 minutes to get their shoes off and put everything on the belt can go to the other lines.

I agree, the lines are long enough to have everything off that is necessary. Shoes, belt, hat, jackets, hooded sweatshirts are all off before I grab my bucket to put them in.

If we need to go through a scanner or patted down, so be it. We need to take them precautions, grannys or babies alike. Some of the nuts out there do not care. Until there is something else that comes along that isn't as obtrusive this is what we have to use until then.

will not affect anything other than to have us plan to get to the airport an hour earlier than we have been.

I do not understand the people who claim its an invasion of privacy. manual Pat downs are an invasion of your personal space. and no its not a loss of your civil liberties either, you want to be safe when you travel, you must accept that this may help ensure that.

all the manual pat downs I recently endured( layover in O'hare on the from Japan) were the result of a broken arm sustained in Japan. each time I was handled by a female and took a whopping extra 3 minutes. the other scanners..the puff of air one.. were just as quick as a regular one.

the only thing that would stop us from flying is cost of the flight. and we have become adept at packing so that a C/o is enough( managed to go international for a ten day stay with one c/o) or choose airlines that don't charge your first born for checked baggage when that is not feasible.

Doesn't impact me and I just don't understand the hysteria. I've seen some of those sample pictures and they're pretty nondescript and I'm sure any jollies someone watching them for many hours a day, every working day, went away fast after the first three minutes of their training on the machines.

We drive to our ports normally but the scanners don't bother me nor do the pat downs. I had the pat down done flying out of Norfolk last month and it wasn't a big deal. They told me EXACTLY everything they were going to do before they did it and it's not like they groped anything! It took all of 30 seconds. I think it's just one more thing for people to complain about. I would rather be safe on the airplane!

I won't be using them.

I'll ask for the manual pat down. I don't trust the scanners, and I sure don't trust the TSA.

Exactly how many terrorists has TSA caught since 9/11? Zero as of the other day at least...

TSA is reactionary, and nothing more than performance art to make the people feel better without doing much of any real good.

If you want to see an example of how airport security gone be done safely and efficiantly without anywhere near the amount of intrusion we have, look at how Isreal does it.

-Dan

Personally, I'd rather walk through naked, but that will probably get me arrested nonetheless. So, I'm inclined to elect the enhanced pat-down at this point in light of reports that the body-scanners may damage human DNA. It is yet unclear at what radiation level these millimeter wave machines are safe for people; certainly not within my comfort zone. As others have said, "cancer, no thanks".

In some of the other social networking sites, some folks have been suggesting that men should wear a kilt through the airport the traditional way to discourage TSA from going too far. :eek:

After going through security screenings for El Al, and flying out of Dubai, Agra and Qatar, we here in the US can't complain. If you want tough security, fly El Al--they know what they're doing. If you don't want to be personally violated, then don't fly out of Dubai or Qatar----or I suspect, any Arab country. I've never been more personally screened anywhere than at the Dubai, Agra and Qatar airports. For flights in India, they even take away your cameras for the flight and are only given back to you once you're leaving the terminal. You have to give them either the entire camera or the battery from the camera.

I agree. I would like to be in the scanner. I have 2 knees and have been patted down for several years. I know the routine, dress accordingly (slip on shoes with socks, take off sweater or light jacket and put in carry on, have my CPAP motor ready to go and my baggie) and I'm on my way. The scanners at O'Hare should be operational next Thursday when we fly to Singapore. You know, those scanner don't show anything that we all (at least those of us who are human) don't have. I guess as you get older, our "sameness" is blurred. I really don't care. If they saw my face, so be it.

I DO like the OP's idea of a lane for frequent flyers who know how to prepare rather than having to wait for people who need to unzip knee high boots, take off belts and jewerly, remove their coat, take off the sweater, take the computer out and empty their pockets.

Bobbie

We've read the latest bru-ha-ha on how the body scanners can be dangerous over time and might cause skin cancer, etc. But we cannot afford to fly/cruise enough for this to be of concern to us, especially since not everybody goes through an airport body scanner every time they fly. I figure the amount of alcohol I consume on a cruise will do more harm to my body than an airport body scanner ever could, and I'm not that heavy a drinker.

Just the hassles at the Philly airport have changed our cruising plans these past few years. We drive to the ports! Of course doing Europe might be a little tricky but by the time we can afford to cross the pond the TSA and Homeland Security might have their acts together.

Sadly, this is a very bad intrusion but what is the alternative? We don't like to fly anyway but this has gotten out of hand so, trains and cars for our future. I'm sure that trains will be next.

Happy Cruising (and flying) all.

Pat C

Never have any problems at Philly airport. Usually get thru check-in and security in less than 15 minutes.

Of course the TSA is reactionary. It is a reactionary result of a reactionary war. And now it has to deal with people who seem to forget that we are still in the middle of that war. Nevertheless, when did a terror event last occur on a flight originating from a US airport? And what is so exceptional about the Israeli security methods? Are you seriously suggesting that the US profile, involve the army, dogs, interrogation, and physical searches before you go through the scanner? I don't like the extra scrutiny, either, but it's just a sad fact of life during wartime.

I won't be using them.

I'll ask for the manual pat down. I don't trust the scanners, and I sure don't trust the TSA.

Exactly how many terrorists has TSA caught since 9/11? Zero as of the other day at least...

TSA is reactionary, and nothing more than performance art to make the people feel better without doing much of any real good.

If you want to see an example of how airport security gone be done safely and efficiantly without anywhere near the amount of intrusion we have, look at how Isreal does it.

-Dan

I won't be using them.

-Dan

I would prefer to think in terms of how many terrorists the TSA has deterred at airports rather than caught.

And what is so exceptional about the Israeli security methods? .

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel's tough airline security methods — pistol-packing in-flight guards, grilling of passengers, rifling through luggage, — have helped thwart terrorist attacks in the past. Israeli experts said Wednesday that, had they been used in the United States, they might have prevented Tuesday's horrific airborne attacks in New York and Washington. But some would have proved difficult to implement in the United States, and others — like profiling — would not meet the test of the U.S. Constitution.

from

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2001/09/12/israelisecurity.htm

Security Issues

For obvious reasons security measures are especially stringent on flights to Israel. For this reason it is advised to arrive well before your flight as your luggage must be checked through airline security. You may be questioned as to your luggage, destination and purpose of visit to Israel. It is recommended as on all international flights not to bring sharp or weapon-like items as these aren’t allowed aboard the plane, other than in the checked luggage. Security measures taken by Israeli airlines, El-Al and Israir, have made them recognized as the safest airlines in the world.

from

http://www.israirairlines.com/guide.asp?id=229&menu_id=227

Archived